OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad to see you are questioning this. I'm a firm believer that the more we question the more both parties learn. I've learned more when I was an instructor than I ever did as a student. And you shouldn't take my word for it if it doesn't make sense to you imo. Skeptical Reef Keeping is a wonderful thing. ;)

If you would like to do your own research, it may help to do searches based on ammonia oxidizing bacteria(AOB's) instead of nitrifying bacteria. It is the more commonly used term in the scientific community.

Hope you don't mind, but I'm going to link a fairly fun article/advertisement on AOB's. They are the newest yet oldest trend in skin care! :p
ok cool. Thank you

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad to see you are questioning this. I'm a firm believer that the more we question the more both parties learn. I've learned more when I was an instructor than I ever did as a student. And you shouldn't take my word for it if it doesn't make sense to you imo. Skeptical Reef Keeping is a wonderful thing. ;)

If you would like to do your own research, it may help to do searches based on ammonia oxidizing bacteria(AOB's) instead of nitrifying bacteria. It is the more commonly used term in the scientific community.

Hope you don't mind, but I'm going to link a fairly fun article/advertisement on AOB's. They are the newest yet oldest trend in skin care! :p

Thank you for the kind words! I did google around a bit (no offense but I am nothing if not skeptical :) ) The hint for to search using "ammonia oxidizing" vs "nitrifying" will be helpful I'm sure. I got a few gardening tips using "nitrifying" though LOL .

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a few gardening tips using "nitrifying" though LOL .
There are some old school hobbyists that cycle their system quicker by adding dirt since it can contain high levels of nitrifying bacteria. You can expect to find a lot more information on dirt and waste processing then anything hobby related even using the AOB term.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
regarding aerial vectoring of nitrifiers: the individual cells aren't in the air BUT nitrifiers seed from the air due to raft-riding :) / they're attached to various items that do transit by air. flotsam/ bugs/ tiny bits of dirt that were wet/ all potential vectors for free bacteria who stick and ride until that floater deposits somewhere.

nitrifying bacteria have been found in the upper atmosphere riding these micro trash rafts with millions of other species of bacteria.

if you live within 300 miles of niagara falls, every breath you take is vapor + nitrifiers + whatever else.

If you're in the mojave desert, not as likely

The main source of free bottle bac/natural seeding of bottle bac isn't aerial its standard liquid contamination transfer. Because we're handling surfaces, those are full of nitrifiers by association since these items are so much associated with wet things, which is where nitrifiers originate. You do not have to be handling something directly wet in order to vector in bacteria, anyone who gardens routinely has permanent nitrifiers up under their nails, even after hand washing, and it spreads to anything you touch with the same hands.

when you make lemonade using tap water, that tap water inputs live nitrifiers into your glass due to pipe scum sloughing, it doesnt mean the water company pumps out bacteria.

They do always find a way.

Bottle bac are not providing things we can't get free, they're just speeding up the process. to wait for aerial transfer/ direct contamination transfer in a marine system unassisted w take months but it will certainly cycle given time and no other help.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back