Curious about something?

  • Thread starter Thread starter winzig
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

winzig

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 17, 2024
Messages
300
Reaction score
277
Location
Canada
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious as to how many of us reefers use airstones in our displays, if any?
And if so what the reasoning is behind it.

cheers
 
When I was up and running I did not use airstones. Just thought the skimmer was enough to circulate O2 into the water column.
 
There are members here who like to run an air stone in the tank or in the sump. The only downside is additional bubbles in the system and the salt creep can be really bad, but there are some reefers that put a value on running them, for good gas exchange, obviously.

I agree with above, a protein skimmer is another great way to get good aeration, and since I believe the vast majority of reefers do not use an air stone (and most do use a skimmer), I believe an air stone is firmly optional for most display tanks. An air stone may well be mandatory if a fish needs to be medicated, so not a bad thing to have a pump and air stone on hand 🙂
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new