Curled Feather Duster

KaiPono

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added two pink dwarf feather dusters about a week ago to my new tank (20g AIO; started cycle 6/28) along with an ocellaris pair, GSP & CUC. Both dusters were fully open & eating well until yesterday (pods & phyto). Now one has retreated and the second is curled. Tested water with no changes to anything major & added some activated carbon thinking that might scrub anything I’m not testing for. Is there something I’m missing? Also lost 2 nerite snails if that’s related. Thanks for any perspectives as I’m super new!

Salinity: 1.025
pH: 8.15
Nitrate: 10ppm
Phosphate: 0.06ppm
Alk: 7.8
Cal: 470
Mag: 1440
Temp:77-77.5

IMG_2958.jpeg
IMG_2967.jpeg
IMG_2952.png

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a cocoa worm, so they behave a bit differently than your typical feather dusters. You may find that they're actually a lot more active at night when most of the fish are asleep - so this behavior isn't unusual (especially if you have a good number of fish).

OP
OP
KaiPono

KaiPono

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a cocoa worm, so they behave a bit differently than your typical feather dusters. You may find that they're actually a lot more active at night when most of the fish are asleep - so this behavior isn't unusual (especially if you have a good number of fish).
Appreciate the ID & insight. I moved them into a shaded spot for the day cycle as my lighting acclimation had also just ended when they started to curl. Hoping that’s an easy lesson and they rebound quickly!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 87 44.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 68 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 27 13.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back