Current 48'' Sundial or Nova Extreme T-5

Adam_T

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my first SW tank is almost fully setup the way I want it to be to start my 55gal Reef. Only things I have left to get is a protein skimmer and my lighting system.

Right now I am debating between the:

Current Sundial 48'' T-5 Canopy System: $279.00 and comes with lunar lights and 24 hour timers.
T-5 HO Aquarium Lighting: Current Sundial T-5 Canopy Light Fixtures

^not planning on having a canopy at all though. Can this fixture be fixed to a tank via legs/brackets or hung? Anyone have experience with this system?

The other system I am thinking of getting is:

Current Nova Extreme Pro 48'' T-5 System: $349.00 no lunar lights no timers.
Aquarium Lighting for Reef Systems: Current Nova Extreme Pro Saltwater T-5 Fixtures

Anyway...I'd really like some feedback regarding these two systems, and possibly some recommendations of T-5 systems in roughly the same price range. I'd like to stick to $350 and below for my first SW system.

Thanks ahead of time ladies and gents!

acanman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tek doesnt have cooling fans which when your bulbs get hot it lowers the par... i have a nova extreme pro and i love it.

bhelne01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the nova extreme pro and i love it
you can get the nova pro for 240 directly from current
pm me for more info

OP
OP
A

Adam_T

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PMed. The Nova Pro seems amazing especially with the extra bulbs and the style...but I am leaning more towards the Sundial due to individual built in timers, and the moonlights. :).

aerius007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
moon lights are nice but the built in timers become useless if you get a controller
I dont know anything about the sundial but the extreme pro with the individual reflectors is a very nice light. I have seen them sold through current usa on ebay for pretty cheap too.

OP
OP
A

Adam_T

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but the only thing I'm thinking is the Sundial is $100 cheaper and already comes with the timer and moonlights. The Nova Pro is more expensive and I'd have to get moonlights and a controller as well. But if what that guy is saying is true about the $240 for pro...i'll definitely do that hahaha.

EDIT: And the sundial has independent reflectors as well which is definitely nice to have in a t5 setup.

Last edited:

Mitsuko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI- When the built in timers break the lights wont ever turn on. The built in timers also are not replaceable. When they break, you need to buy a new light. Buy your own separate $5 timers and be thankful later.

aerius007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the one with the timers have multiple power cords or just one? My frag light, current something, has timers and one power cord. I hate that, I have a controller and cant control the different bulbs individually. My Outer Orbit has multiple cords, as does the nova extreme, which is nice.

OP
OP
A

Adam_T

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks aerius, I think I might try that route. And also a thank you to Mitsuko for informing me on the timers and the 1 cord ordeal. :)

OP
OP
A

Adam_T

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey aerius, how often does currentusa put stuff on their ebay page? I've been checking for a few days in a row now multiple times a day and no luck :-(

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NEP is the way to go between the two. But, I would not buy either over a Tek where you'll get some good bulbs from the start and the better reflectors make up for the lack of cooling.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.5%
Back