Current Solana Tank

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have one of these or know somone who does? I'm looking to upgrade my nano as my 12 gallon isnt cutting it anymore. My LFS has 2 that have been sitting so they're willing to sell em pretty cheap. They both have the hqi pendant fixtures on them. I do T5 so i dont know much about those lights. Would i be better of just having a tank built somewhere or is the solana setup pretty decent?

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the LFS here in Kalamazoo has one set up and it is pretty nice.....If you can get a deal on it I would say go for it....

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol you live in the coolest place EVER
i want to live in kalamazoo just to say i live in kalamazoo
anyways, my friend has one and theyre pretty good for the money
the skimmer isnt the greatest but compared to all other nano skimmers, this one actually produces skimmate but not a very dry skimmate
current does have a 20" t5 fixture but its not very good
no bulb selection since theyre the only ones that have them and no individual reflectors which are the 2 of the 3 most important thing in t5s
my friend did drill his tank though to get a larger fuge area and also drilled the back wall to add another pump in the back chamber

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked out ezcompany's Solana tank? It's really well set up.

mecold

Oh I wish I were an......
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mine. Yes the tank has it's limitations, but since I did not have the coin for an elos, the solana was my choice.

First, the negatives: No fuge area, tank is very touchy if the water level gets a slightly low (the pump creates micro bubbles), skimmer is a little loud. All of theses problems are fixable if you want to convert the center chamber in the back to a fuge, keep the water level just a little high or run a ato, and put a silencer on the skimmer air intake line.

The pros: Very nice size. The 20" cube give you depth and height. The skimmer works well after it gets broken in, the ato works (albeit it is cheesy and has to be filled at least once or twice a day), and if you don't care for the disco ball (which seems to have a really good output) you can switch to the 20" sunpod 150 or 250.

If you look in the members tanks forum, you can see my solana as it sits now. Trust me, this tank will be full soon enough :) It may not look like much now, but it is performing well enough that I feel comfortable with it as a sps dominated system.

If you get to nano-reef, check out ezcompany, rodpod, and dailydriven911 tank threads. Great advice and inspiration in their threads.

Back