Current USA IC led. Worth it?

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's on sale for a 72" for $319.57 from marinedepot plus $47.94 cash back with the points so in reality it's $270 which isn't bad. This is going on a fish only so anyone have any feedback on it?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's on sale for a 72" for $319.57 from marinedepot plus $47.94 cash back with the points so in reality it's $270 which isn't bad. This is going on a fish only so anyone have any feedback on it?
Youll want corals.....

What tank size?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The official word:
I think it'll be great for fish and make a good reef light someday if you wanna go corals.

For corals, you might want to add another strip for added intensity (could be and Orbit IC, Orbit Pro or something else), but keep in mind I have a whole tank of stony corals growing in similar light levels to the single IC. :)

Some interesting stuff in this article:
Novel Adaptive Photosynthetic Characteristics of Mesophotic Symbiotic Microalgae within the Reef-Building Coral, Stylophora pistillata

OP
OP
Joeganja

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The official word:
I think it'll be great for fish and make a good reef light someday if you wanna go corals.

For corals, you might want to add another strip for added intensity (could be and Orbit IC, Orbit Pro or something else), but keep in mind I have a whole tank of stony corals growing in similar light levels to the single IC. :)

Some interesting stuff in this article:
Novel Adaptive Photosynthetic Characteristics of Mesophotic Symbiotic Microalgae within the Reef-Building Coral, Stylophora pistillata

Thanks for that. I'm sure it will be fine with fish only.

OP
OP
Joeganja

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you recommend? a reef brite tech 50/50 or current USA IC? Or something else In that price range for fish only someday possibly some low light coral.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally design the tank for it's own needs, not for hypothetical needs for down the road.

So for a fish only tank, I'd buy or build a super-cheap, low-power fish-only light.

If I wanted to grow coral later, then I'd spend a few bucks on a reef light. Technology will have moved on, at least to some degree, so I'd be the better for it.

Plus I'd have the use of all that extra cash in the mean time rather than tying it up in reef lights that I know for a fact I won't be using anytime soon.

Plus, the reef lights wouldn't already be XX% worn out on Day 1 of the reef when corals finally arrive.

2¢ – just what I'd do. :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back