Custom Aquariums VERSUS Out-of-the-box Aquariums: They both have their advantages!

Which do you prefer? Custom Aquariums VERSUS Mass Produced Aquariums

• Custom Aquarium

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • Out-of-the-box Aquarium

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The choice of the perfect aquarium is like a canvas for an artist's masterpiece. When researching a new aquarium, we often wonder which tank is best for us: custom-built aquariums versus standard out-of-the-box and mass-produced alternatives. Each option presents a unique set of pros and cons!

Custom Built
A custom-built aquarium is meticulously designed to cater to every whim and fancy of its owner. Crafted with precision and care, these tanks offer a realm of possibilities, from unconventional shapes that complement specific architectural elements to tailor-made dimensions that perfectly fit available spaces. The "pro" of a custom aquarium lies in its ability to reflect the owner's vision, preferences, and specific needs.

Out-of-the-box
On the other hand, standard out-of-the-box and mass-produced aquariums present a different appeal. They offer a convenient and more cost-effective solution, readily available in a variety of sizes and designs to cater to the broader reefkeeping community. These aquariums often come with well-designed filtration systems, making them user-friendly for both beginners and experienced hobbyists. For those seeking a more straightforward approach to reefkeeping, these ready-made options can be an attractive and practical choice.

Are you drawn to the uniqueness and creative possibilities of a custom-built aquarium, or do you find comfort in the ease and accessibility of standard mass-produced alternatives?

versus.jpg

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a custom built tank that someone else returned? lol I don't have the funds right now to do a full custom build, but also not opposed to off the shelf stuff if it's the layout i want.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The choice of the perfect aquarium is like a canvas for an artist's masterpiece. When researching a new aquarium, we often wonder which tank is best for us: custom-built aquariums versus standard out-of-the-box and mass-produced alternatives. Each option presents a unique set of pros and cons!

Custom Built
A custom-built aquarium is meticulously designed to cater to every whim and fancy of its owner. Crafted with precision and care, these tanks offer a realm of possibilities, from unconventional shapes that complement specific architectural elements to tailor-made dimensions that perfectly fit available spaces. The "pro" of a custom aquarium lies in its ability to reflect the owner's vision, preferences, and specific needs.

Out-of-the-box
On the other hand, standard out-of-the-box and mass-produced aquariums present a different appeal. They offer a convenient and more cost-effective solution, readily available in a variety of sizes and designs to cater to the broader reefkeeping community. These aquariums often come with well-designed filtration systems, making them user-friendly for both beginners and experienced hobbyists. For those seeking a more straightforward approach to reefkeeping, these ready-made options can be an attractive and practical choice.

Are you drawn to the uniqueness and creative possibilities of a custom-built aquarium, or do you find comfort in the ease and accessibility of standard mass-produced alternatives?

versus.jpg
Last 5 tanks . . . 4 were custom built including current one and Oceanic was you can say out of the box

Azael

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Custom aquarium for me because I wanted to take advantage of all the available space

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I typically do custom because I want certain dimensions. This current build, Planet had one stock unit that would have worked but the communications issues between my LFS and Planet made me order a custom elsewhere

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Custom for my next build because its the only way to get a tank with the dimensions I want and an external overflow.
Over priced but I love my 2 redsea tanks that I have. I love the ease of assembly and clean look of the plumbing. My plumbing skills are functional but have terrible form.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the same way that a painter starts with a blank canvass, or a sculptor starts with a block of marble, I prefer a tank out of the box that I can customize. Much cheaper than buying a custom tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back