Custom build rimless tank bowing

BigKid4788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ask the builder to put in writing if it gives way, he would cover all damages. Be cheaper for him to brace then cover damages

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a 0.4 inch bowing when the tank was filled. Now I have drained tank and asked the builder to come to my house to add top euro bracing, hopefully it will prevent it from bowing. However, the builder says 0.4 inch bowing is ok, his own tank has bowing for 10 years and never had any problems.

It *May* be okay, but that's a big if, glass really shouldn't bow like that and I'd be concerned dealing with someone who thinks it's all good to have hard glass flexing like that.

OP
OP
kirinreef

kirinreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess thats a lesson learned for me, shoud have just gone for the red sea reefer. However, tank is built, return/refund or even rebuild sounds unrealistic. Thats the resource I have to deal with in Toronto, there isn't much option here compares to US.

Last edited:

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rimless custom 72x24x30 is 3/4" glass. No Eurobracing or anything. It's a beast, of course, but I guess that is the point.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess thats a lesson learned for me, shoud have just gone for the red sea reefer. However, tank is built, return/refund or even rebuild sounds unrealistic. Thats the resource I have to deal with in Toronto, there isn't much option here compares to US.

Who made it? There are a few options in Canada for custom tanks without stretching across the border...

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That glass is too thin regardless of eurobracing. I would get my money back and look for another route as that will just not work for the rimless tank you wanted. Not worth the risk with all that water if it busts a seam.

Daveobrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rimless custom 72x24x30 is 3/4" glass. No Eurobracing or anything. It's a beast, of course, but I guess that is the point.

I'm currently contemplating a tank slightly bigger. 72 x 27" x 33". Do you like your config, if you were doing a new custom order - would you increase either your 24" or 30" dimensions?

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There is no way I’d accept that tank. Even adding eurobracing is a serious risk after you’ve filled it and stressed the panels and silicon already. Demand a refund and get a better tank. This tank builder has no idea what they are doing and his selection of glass is below industry norms.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who made it? There are a few options in Canada for custom tanks without stretching across the border...

Yes, please share who built it so others don't have a similar experience.

Did you pay with a credit card? If they refuse to refund or replace it, get them involved.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A show tank that bows is not good in my opinion, glass or acrylic.
It looks cheap and bad to anyone viewing it.
Since you will be looking at it as well as friends, it will always bother you.
This will be hard to remedy with the builder. They dont want to lose money on materials and labor so they will prob want to go repair, rather than make over.
I wish you the best of outcomes.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank that size should have minimum 5/8”, 3/4” preferred

I completely agree. From the pictures, the glass is too thin for a tank that size. I would say 5/8 inch glass is needed.

Is this "builder" someone established with tank build experience? I'd lean toward "no". Someone with experience should know the glass thickness they have chosen for the project is inadequate.

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently contemplating a tank slightly bigger. 72 x 27" x 33". Do you like your config, if you were doing a new custom order - would you increase either your 24" or 30" dimensions?
To be totally honest, it is a little thinner than even that, more like 22 inches. I wish I'd gone a full 24 inches deep, or even 27. 22 is just too skinny. But mine is penninsula style.

30 inches tall is gorgeous, but note you are going to have a hard time getting to the bottom with your hands. Many things (like aiptasia) live down there beyond easy reach. Definitely need a magnet to clean down there easily.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a 0.4 inch bowing when the tank was filled. Now I have drained tank and asked the builder to come to my house to add top euro bracing, hopefully it will prevent it from bowing. However, the builder says 0.4 inch bowing is ok, his own tank has bowing for 10 years and never had any problems.
Of course he’s going to tell you that...

OP
OP
kirinreef

kirinreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's made by NAFB, it has a pretty high rating, and be doing custom aquariums for many years...at last, I need to pay $150 additional to get euro bracing added. No refund or return possible.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you specify the glass thickness for the build? If not, I don't understand why you'd have to pay anything to get an aquarium with straight glass panels.

Did you pay with a credit card? They have excellent consumer protection in the USA, may be worth seeing if they can help facilitate a refund.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's made by NAFB, it has a pretty high rating, and be doing custom aquariums for many years...at last, I need to pay $150 additional to get euro bracing added. No refund or return possible.

That right there is TOTAL bs. No reputable tank builder would build a 24" tall rimless tank with 1/2" glass. It is careless to say the least and down right dangerous. My 6x3x24" AGE rimless is 3/4" glass with metal banding on the bottom and THICK silicone on the panels.

I don't want to sound inciting or anything, but a 24" deep water column, held only by a 1/2" thick wide strip of silicone is an accident waiting to happen. The fact that the glass is bending should be a clue that there are serious forces at work. Acrylic can bend all day long.. but in addition to glass not liking to bend, you are now putting a tangential force (not totally perpendicular) on the aquarium seams.

I would call the CC company, and let the company know that they will be installing bracing for free.

OP
OP
kirinreef

kirinreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, didn't pay with CC. didn't specify the glass thickness, thought i could trust the builder knowing what he was doing.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly suggest if on Facebook you put this on the Reef Canada group. They have a reputation to keep, at minimum that should be eurobraced for free. And for the future, always pay with credit card, then pay off the card immediately. A vendor may not care about you once they've got your money, but they sure will when Visa or Master Card come after them when a dispute is initiated.

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though it’s a bummer, I would pay the $150, get the tank eurobraced and move on.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back