Custom settings for IceCap 4k Gyre

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm only using one right now, should be able to do multiple though. @TheHarold probably knows for sure.

Yes, there is no problem creating multiple voltages on 1 supply using a bank of resistor dividers or something. I made my own mini PCBs that do that, in fact just ordered a few dozen that are more or less specific for the WaveEngine :)

Hey @Carlos@CoralVue what is the resolution of the programmable voltages on these products with 0-10v like WE or Control4? Just integers, or can we get half-intergers too? (5, 4.5, 4, etc)

Last edited:

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been trying to figure out the different in the pumps actual speed and the presets speed setting. So my two pumps have a speed range of 25% to 75% and my preset has 15% to 56%. What are my pumps actually running at? It's pretty confusing
If you set your pumps 25-75%, then the flow speeds will be 1% = 25% speed, 100% = 75% speed. I'm not sure of the exact mapping of RPM to percentage, @Carlos@CoralVue is probably the only one here that could answer that. It did throw me off for a while until I realized it was displaying a percentage of your defined operating percentage value.

Shunopoli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you set your pumps 25-75%, then the flow speeds will be 1% = 25% speed, 100% = 75% speed. I'm not sure of the exact mapping of RPM to percentage, @Carlos@CoralVue is probably the only one here that could answer that. It did throw me off for a while until I realized it was displaying a percentage of your defined operating percentage value.

So when you I set the preset to 15 to 56 what does that mean then. I'm so confused lol

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends what operating range your pump is set to in the profile.

Again, say your pump RMP is set to operate between 25 RPM - 75RPM

Now your flow profile calls for 1% to 100%. That will mean when operating at 1%, the pump will run at 25RPM. When hitting 100%, it will operate at 75RPM. The confusion is laying a percentage on top of a percentage, and how exactly the data points map to each-other.

Tampaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe, but someone please correct if wrong, your speeds should be about this...

Pump set at 25% - 75% has a 50 point range.

Low speed is 25% + 0.15 (50) = 32.5% or 32.5rpm
High speed is 25% + 0.56(50) = 53% or 53 rpm

I thought all these numbers were a % of our total 4k. The pumps really may have max 100 RPM but idk.

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use RPM as an easier to understand figure than percent, below a percent.

Shunopoli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe, but someone please correct if wrong, your speeds should be about this...

Pump set at 25% - 75% has a 50 point range.

Low speed is 25% + 0.15 (50) = 32.5% or 32.5rpm
High speed is 25% + 0.56(50) = 53% or 53 rpm

I thought all these numbers were a % of our total 4k. The pumps really may have max 100 RPM but idk.

So where does the preset speeds factor into the pump speeds

Tampaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The math is good..my actual % show in status was 43% with preset low at 25% of the 25% - 100% pump range. Pump speed comes first and is the method to set universal limits. Max pump speed of 75% means no matter what program is running, the pump will not push above that. Preset of max 100% means you will get the max the pump is allowed to do. I hope I explained it better.
To make life easier...as long as sandstorms are not an issue at 100%, I would leave the Pump set points at 100% high, and the low at 25% and just adjust in the presets as needed.

Shunopoli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The math is good..my actual % show in status was 43% with preset low at 25% of the 25% - 100% pump range. Pump speed comes first and is the method to set universal limits. Max pump speed of 75% means no matter what program is running, the pump will not push above that. Preset of max 100% means you will get the max the pump is allowed to do. I hope I explained it better.
To make life easier...as long as sandstorms are not an issue at 100%, I would leave the Pump set points at 100% high, and the low at 25% and just adjust in the presets as needed.

I don't get that. I just set my pump to 25% to 100% and my preset is set to 15% to 56%, but If I look at the status it's still able to hit 66%

Tampaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been trying to figure out the different in the pumps actual speed and the presets speed setting. So my two pumps have a speed range of 25% to 75% and my preset has 15% to 56%. What are my pumps actually running at? It's pretty confusing
I originally figured it on pump set to 25-75
If you set pump to 25-100 thats a spread of 75.
Preset of 15% - 56%
Your starting point is 25 plus your preset low %
Your high point is 25% + .56 x 75% = 67%
Your low point is 25% + .15 x 75% = 36.25%
Real world is always a little different than the math, but sounds pretty close

Shunopoli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally figured it on pump set to 25-75
If you set pump to 25-100 thats a spread of 75.
Preset of 15% - 56%
Your starting point is 25 plus your preset low %
Your high point is 25% + .56 x 75% = 67%
Your low point is 25% + .15 x 75% = 36.25%
Real world is always a little different than the math, but sounds pretty close
Wow thanks for the explanation on this. That makes more sense.

OP
OP
MoreReefPlease

MoreReefPlease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running my 4K straight from the app on my phone to the stock ice cap WiFi box that comes with the set.

The things I can do are very limited in my opinion or I'm just not that great with the software.

Shunopoli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running my 4K straight from the app on my phone to the stock ice cap WiFi box that comes with the set.

The things I can do are very limited in my opinion or I'm just not that great with the software.
Ya or it’s just the app is so dang confusing and I’m in IT. Just looks like it was thrown together to get a a product out

OP
OP
MoreReefPlease

MoreReefPlease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya or it’s just the app is so dang confusing and I’m in IT. Just looks like it was thrown together to get a a product out

I switched to the icecap from an MP10 wireless and it seemed as if the Vortech had more settings. I really wish they had like standard for settings for different corrals or mixed reef settings. I know it's different for everyone, flow; but I'd still like something I could set and forget.

Loggerhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slightly off topic, but has anyone noticed a noise issue like they had with the 1k and 3k?

OP
OP
MoreReefPlease

MoreReefPlease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is just as quiet as the MP10 I used before. I can't tell a difference.

OP
OP
MoreReefPlease

MoreReefPlease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, I'm a little let down that the standard IceCap Dual pump controller doesn't have the same settings as the Wave Engine even though they both use the same app too interact.

The pump and controller are very nice and high quality but the limited functions of the controller kinda suck. It's hard for me to recommend these pumps with the limited functionality.

I would really love settings like these -
Screenshot_20200418-102925_Samsung Internet.jpg

The nutrient export functions, LPS reef, SPS reef and ocean swell are all options that should come with the IceCap Gyre and Dual pump controller.

I'd give this pump a 5/5 instead of 3.5/5 if it had these settings preinstalled.

OP
OP
MoreReefPlease

MoreReefPlease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know ocean gyre mode runs in reverse at some point in the program, but it has a minimum setting of 40%? At least that's the way it is on my gyre 330's. I'm not sure if the ice cap follows the some programming?

If you buy the IceCap Gyre 4k with the Controller, there is no ocean gyre mode. There's really just 4 factory settings, Sine, Square, Constant or random. It really blows.

Last edited:

Tampaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we get Carlos from CoralVue to read this thread and weigh in? Im newer to the forum, and dont really know how to relay the message, but would like to know about;
1. Reverse options without forward
2. Plans in future updates like "experimental firmware"
3. A custom tune option, etc.
Before I buy another one or start recommending it to clients.

Tampaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the unit but agree, it seemed like there were going to be many presets like other programable pumps. Not cool now, but theres room for updates

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back