OP
OP
MoreReefPlease

MoreReefPlease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we get Carlos from CoralVue to read this thread and weigh in? Im newer to the forum, and dont really know how to relay the message, but would like to know about;
1. Reverse options without forward
2. Plans in future updates like "experimental firmware"
3. A custom tune option, etc.
Before I buy another one or start recommending it to clients.

I am totally in agreeance. I don't know why we can't separate the reverse function of the gyre so that it doesn't conflict with forward flow patterns.

I don't want reverse randomly inserted, I want it to be it's own, independent function.

Also as mentioned above, we should have access to more than 3 flow patterns with the Dual Pump Controller. The limited functionality is frustrating.

If the ICDPC was intentionally limited in functions to sell the WaveEngine 2, that's irksome.

Tampaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From most info on all releases I watched on YouTube and places, everthing push Wave Engine for ultimate connect-ability for all big name makes and models of pumps/wavemakers. Thats huge in and of itself. One can easy justify buying a WE to connect all those items with a shiny new icecap with all tricks...if you need it. If you just want 1 or 2 gyres, the new ICDPC looked to be the same software, but your limitation was being stuck at 2 gyre only pumps. So future upgrades for new users too.
Didnt think the software was diffrent, its the same pump.
And it should be published more prominently that it has only 4 built in patterns.
The pump itself is maybe even above my expectations, which were quite high anyway
Maybe they can/will update

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From most info on all releases I watched on YouTube and places, everthing push Wave Engine for ultimate connect-ability for all big name makes and models of pumps/wavemakers. Thats huge in and of itself. One can easy justify buying a WE to connect all those items with a shiny new icecap with all tricks...if you need it. If you just want 1 or 2 gyres, the new ICDPC looked to be the same software, but your limitation was being stuck at 2 gyre only pumps. So future upgrades for new users too.
Didnt think the software was diffrent, its the same pump.
And it should be published more prominently that it has only 4 built in patterns.
The pump itself is maybe even above my expectations, which were quite high anyway
Maybe they can/will update

I think this is great feedback, and they are definitely coming out with updates to the app frequently. Maybe ping [email protected] (@Jeff@CoralVue)and see if additional flow patterns are in the works!

Tampaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any know what
" Load Experimental Version" under device properties will let us try out? And if it bricks??? I'll beta if theres good communication...

OP
OP
MoreReefPlease

MoreReefPlease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to add that picked up a second gyre - a 2k - for my 40b on the opposite side. I have it mounted vertically.

The only issue I can find is that it whines in reverse. I pulled it out and checked everything, removed the covers pulled the impellers and it still makes noise.

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! Thank you for your feedback. I mean it! When customers share, it means they care. Your posts are considerate. You've made your feelings clear. Still, I like to repeat back what I think I heard, just to make sure we are all on the same page.
  • You want more flow presets
  • You feel there were more opportunities to fine-tune flow with the previous generation's controller
  • You want the ability to alternate between forward and reverse flow modes
  • You find the speed range a bit confusing
  • You want repeating triggers
And the general sentiment seems to be that:
  • If we unlock all of the features in HYDROS that are accessible to the WaveEngine in a future firmware update, it would resolve most of your problems with the IceCap Gyre Dual Pump Controller in one fell swoop.
Let me know if there is anything I left out before I present your wishes to the development team.

I run 2 x 2K Gyres myself and have felt the reverse functionality was limited. The reason I felt this way is that I noticed on the rare occasions I run the pumps backward, it blows out a bunch of buildup. So I thought it would be cool to program the pumps to run in reverse once a day to "blow out the buildup" and couldn't figure out how to do it.

I feel like I should give a disclaimer: I am not an expert hobbyist. You're talking to an intermediate at best here. I haven't tried every piece of equipment out there. I haven't even tried all of the equipment we have here. I also do not work in our support department. I wasn't a part of the HYDROS development team when the project began. In fact, I only joined the company in June of last year.

But am I powerless? No, I am not. I may only have 7 years of experience caring for reef tanks, but I have 15 years of experience working as a marketer. I've been using message boards to gauge the pulse of customers even before I entered the aquarium industry in 2007. That's the reason I am here so often. I am listening. A bit of wisdom I have learned in all of my years doing this is that the customer is usually right.

So, I fight the good fight for you. I fight for your best interests. Because I am you. Many people see ad men as dishonest and think we will do anything to make a sale, but those types are few and far in between. I left Marine Depot after 12 years to not only be a part of what CoralVue is working on, but to be a part of the team that is working on it. The people here are insanely talented and career-minded. We all care about this industry. We care about you and what you think. We want to make you happy. If it's within our power to do it and it's the right thing to do, I believe that we will. That's been my experience so far.

So if you've got more feedback, hit me with it. I will take it all to the team and see if/when we can make the magic happen.

@TheHarold was 0-10V question answered?

Tampaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you much Jeff, that does cover the major questions I know myself and quite a few others have been conversing about and had some concerns with. I know I greatly appreciate the response and effort to some honest feedback!

OP
OP
MoreReefPlease

MoreReefPlease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! Thank you for your feedback. I mean it! When customers share, it means they care. Your posts are considerate. You've made your feelings clear. Still, I like to repeat back what I think I heard, just to make sure we are all on the same page.
  • You want more flow presets
  • You feel there were more opportunities to fine-tune flow with the previous generation's controller
  • You want the ability to alternate between forward and reverse flow modes
  • You find the speed range a bit confusing
  • You want repeating triggers
And the general sentiment seems to be that:
  • If we unlock all of the features in HYDROS that are accessible to the WaveEngine in a future firmware update, it would resolve most of your problems with the IceCap Gyre Dual Pump Controller in one fell swoop.
Let me know if there is anything I left out before I present your wishes to the development team.

I run 2 x 2K Gyres myself and have felt the reverse functionality was limited. The reason I felt this way is that I noticed on the rare occasions I run the pumps backward, it blows out a bunch of buildup. So I thought it would be cool to program the pumps to run in reverse once a day to "blow out the buildup" and couldn't figure out how to do it.

I feel like I should give a disclaimer: I am not an expert hobbyist. You're talking to an intermediate at best here. I haven't tried every piece of equipment out there. I haven't even tried all of the equipment we have here. I also do not work in our support department. I wasn't a part of the HYDROS development team when the project began. In fact, I only joined the company in June of last year.

But am I powerless? No, I am not. I may only have 7 years of experience caring for reef tanks, but I have 15 years of experience working as a marketer. I've been using message boards to gauge the pulse of customers even before I entered the aquarium industry in 2007. That's the reason I am here so often. I am listening. A bit of wisdom I have learned in all of my years doing this is that the customer is usually right.

So, I fight the good fight for you. I fight for your best interests. Because I am you. Many people see ad men as dishonest and think we will do anything to make a sale, but those types are few and far in between. I left Marine Depot after 12 years to not only be a part of what CoralVue is working on, but to be a part of the team that is working on it. The people here are insanely talented and career-minded. We all care about this industry. We care about you and what you think. We want to make you happy. If it's within our power to do it and it's the right thing to do, I believe that we will. That's been my experience so far.

So if you've got more feedback, hit me with it. I will take it all to the team and see if/when we can make the magic happen.

@TheHarold was 0-10V question answered?

YES, YES and YES!

Jeff, thanks so much for responding to this thread!

You have experienced the same thing we all have with the reverse function so you know what we're talking about!

For myself personally coming from EcoTech and their VorTech pumps, these are things that would make it competititve with their software development department.

1. Pump reverse with it's own independent settings where I can specify how long I want reverse to run and when.

2. More stock settings such as one's like the WaveEngine has such as settings for LPS, SPS, Mixed Reef and Nutrient Export.

3. The ability to make multiple adjustments in a single profile over a 24 hr period, which I will give an example of below.

One of the biggest and best aspects of running EcoTech equipment is that their software side and customization from the cloud (if you're running ReefLink which I was) is simply amazing.

Since I don't have my EcoTech anymore, here is an example picture.

1588081500752.png

Those are all adjustments that a person can make with an EcoTech with the stock, standard software, not importing anything.

OP
OP
MoreReefPlease

MoreReefPlease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order to do the same function as the EcoTech above, this is what I've had to do and what it looks like in the app -

Screenshot_20200428-183057.jpg

Screenshot_20200428-183101.jpg

I had to make 9x different triggers in order for it to function even remotely how I'd like it too.

That's a little clunky and unintuitive.

Matt Rigberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up the controller and a 4K last night. I also attached my old 1k. These are on a 140 reef. I have to admit the lack of instructions coupled with the lack of an intuitive user interface was really frustrating. I’ve been in the hobby since 1990 and have loved watching the evolution. Gyre pumps are a huge plus for me when it comes to reef keeping. I’ve seen a massive difference in coral response and love the options compared to older AC pumps. The 4K setup at 250 replaced three pumps for me. That being said, the initial set up and programming were clunky at best. For 250 I expected something smoother, easier to use and professional. The product itself seems solid but when the first experience is frustration, it make me worry about the longevity of the product. Why not include recommended settings? Cleaning and feeding presets etc? I will remain guardedly optimistic about the pump and controller. Let’s see how CV responds to the customer concerns. Certainly having one of their marketers on the forum is a positive sign.

OP
OP
MoreReefPlease

MoreReefPlease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up the controller and a 4K last night. I also attached my old 1k. These are on a 140 reef. I have to admit the lack of instructions coupled with the lack of an intuitive user interface was really frustrating. I’ve been in the hobby since 1990 and have loved watching the evolution. Gyre pumps are a huge plus for me when it comes to reef keeping. I’ve seen a massive difference in coral response and love the options compared to older AC pumps. The 4K setup at 250 replaced three pumps for me. That being said, the initial set up and programming were clunky at best. For 250 I expected something smoother, easier to use and professional. The product itself seems solid but when the first experience is frustration, it make me worry about the longevity of the product. Why not include recommended settings? Cleaning and feeding presets etc? I will remain guardedly optimistic about the pump and controller. Let’s see how CV responds to the customer concerns. Certainly having one of their marketers on the forum is a positive sign.

Nice post, Matt. These are many of the same concerns many of us have, especially with the lack of settings and flow patterns for the pump.

I've spent almost $400 on these pumps and I'd love some extra settings for the money!

Matt Rigberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya! I don’t want to complain too much though - I remember when basic Maxi-jet and Rio powerheads were a luxury and piling 100 48” fluorescent lights over a reef was the only way to keep a coral alive! We’ve come such a long way - and Icecap/CoralVue’s products offer a ton of promise. The more we get away from wild caught harvesting and into 100% aquacultured critters the happier I (and the earth) will be! Gyres offer so many benefits it’s a shame when the negatives on their software dull the positives.

I am hoping CV steps up quickly and offers true hobbyist settings that will benefit various types of reef tanks. How cool would it be if they had preset download options like AI does for their lighting? “You have a 5’ x 24” x 24” tank with mixed corals? No problem - use these setting and you’re golden!” Push a couple buttons and you’re good to go......now that would be the bomb.

OP
OP
MoreReefPlease

MoreReefPlease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya! I don’t want to complain too much though - I remember when basic Maxi-jet and Rio powerheads were a luxury and piling 100 48” fluorescent lights over a reef was the only way to keep a coral alive! We’ve come such a long way - and Icecap/CoralVue’s products offer a ton of promise. The more we get away from wild caught harvesting and into 100% aquacultured critters the happier I (and the earth) will be! Gyres offer so many benefits it’s a shame when the negatives on their software dull the positives.

I am hoping CV steps up quickly and offers true hobbyist settings that will benefit various types of reef tanks. How cool would it be if they had preset download options like AI does for their lighting? “You have a 5’ x 24” x 24” tank with mixed corals? No problem - use these setting and you’re golden!” Push a couple buttons and you’re good to go......now that would be the bomb.

That's how I am nowadays too. I'm too dang old to be bothered screwing around with settings everyday. I just wanted flow pattern for a mixed reef and adjust the speed myself, nothing crazy. I'd also like some nutrient export patterns, that would rock.

(Speaking of AI, my T5 fixture crapped out yesterday so I just got done buying 2x Prime HDs and they're on the way. I've been reading the connectivity is awful for Bluetooth and no wifi anymore.)

Matt Rigberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like AI. I put two HD 32s over my wife’s 50 reef and the corals love them! I also have a Red Sea 90 over a 60 cube - that may be a touch nicer than the AIs. Their interface is dumbed down for an oldie like me!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back