Custom SHU unboxing/review

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received my SHU this afternoon and got it unboxed. I'll share my unboxing pics and tell you what I think about it so far.
IMG_2185.JPG

Box arrived in pretty good condition.
IMG_2177.JPG

Packed very well with bubble wrap and extra space filled in with packing peanuts.
IMG_2187.JPG

IMG_2182.JPG

Magnets are very strong!! My glass is only 1/2" but I ordered this with the capability of using on 3/4" just in case I need it later. The dry sides of the magnets have felt stuck on them to protect the outer glass of the aquarium. The custom dividers slide in and out very easily and stay in place inside the box very well. Also the clasps hold well but do not take excessive force to open.
IMG_2181.JPG

IMG_2180.JPG

IMG_2188.JPG

Build quality is very good. Everything is neat and clean.

I'll update this review after using but first impressions are good. Great product and I hope it saves me some heartache dealing with aggression with new additions.

The best part about this was I was able get a custom piece the way I wanted it and Matt was up for it with no problems.

Great job Matt! I'll be looking to get some more of your stuff soon and will recommend you to others.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i understand these are not the cheapest reef boxes you can buy, but i make up for that with quality, service and custom options other companies won’t offer. and a lifetime warranty! can’t beat that.

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First fish have been in the SHU for a few minutes and not seeing any interest from current residents. I'll give it a few hours and open the lid if there continues to be no signs of aggression.
IMG_2235.JPG

IMG_2232.JPG

IMG_2233.JPG

IMG_2234.JPG

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since using this acclimation box a couple times I'll give a little more feedback. The box is built well. No way for fish to get in or out of the box. It works as it should.

Before I list a couple things I found could be better I would like to say the box works great and these things are minor and can be worked around. I just wanted to give honest feedback about my experiance.

Some things I found could be better:
With a rimmed tank the lid will not open at the surface cuz it hits the rim of the tank. Opening the lid below water lets fish escape. There are ways to get it done and it works but this is a frustration I have with it.

Another thing that I would like is a feeding hole to allow the tip of a turkey baster or feeding tongs to get food in without having to open the lid due to the other issue above. Small foods can easily fit through the slots with a syringe but larger foods don't.

@cromag27 if I wanted to add a feeding hole to the box lid what drill bit or method would you recommend?

The box is great and with the super strong magnets it doesn't budge! Feeding holes would eliminate most of my frustrations.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since using this acclimation box a couple times I'll give a little more feedback. The box is built well. No way for fish to get in or out of the box. It works as it should.

Before I list a couple things I found could be better I would like to say the box works great and these things are minor and can be worked around. I just wanted to give honest feedback about my experiance.

Some things I found could be better:
With a rimmed tank the lid will not open at the surface cuz it hits the rim of the tank. Opening the lid below water lets fish escape. There are ways to get it done and it works but this is a frustration I have with it.

Another thing that I would like is a feeding hole to allow the tip of a turkey baster or feeding tongs to get food in without having to open the lid due to the other issue above. Small foods can easily fit through the slots with a syringe but larger foods don't.

@cromag27 if I wanted to add a feeding hole to the box lid what drill bit or method would you recommend?

The box is great and with the super strong magnets it doesn't budge! Feeding holes would eliminate most of my frustrations.

if you don’t have plastic specific drill bits, you can use wood ones. start with a tiny diameter and step up in size very very slow. this will avoiding stressing the hole which would crack the plastic.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back