OP
OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. This is similar to how I was thinking of designing my sump for the 200+ FOWLR build I'm working on. I do not plan on running a refugium and my ATO tank is a 25g in a different room, so I would not need those two chambers.

Also, does your design allow for an adjustable water height? If not, what is the standing height in the skimmer and return sections?
Hey I want to make some design tweaks to allow for adjustable water height from the skimmer chamber to the return. How would I go about doing that? Just 2 x simple 1/4" threaded holes for thumb screws, lowering the cut out from the skimmer chamber to return, and then just adding a baffle with a sliding cutout for the ABS thumb screws?

outerbank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks nice! I always wished one company would make a sump design for skimmerless tanks--perhaps without the skimmer section or removable wall, giving one a larger refugium or top off section. Just another idea.

OP
OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks nice! I always wished one company would make a sump design for skimmerless tanks--perhaps without the skimmer section or removable wall, giving one a larger refugium or top off section. Just another idea.
Would be very easy for me to tweak the file for a separate model and opt for a large refugium (talking like, 15-20 gallons) and move the return/ato chamber to the end of the tank. Good idea!

OP
OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am up for anyone's constructive feedback at this point, I have two shop orders to fulfil for local displays by end of spring/mid of summer after my quality test period. Much appreciated

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I want to make some design tweaks to allow for adjustable water height from the skimmer chamber to the return. How would I go about doing that? Just 2 x simple 1/4" threaded holes for thumb screws, lowering the cut out from the skimmer chamber to return, and then just adding a baffle with a sliding cutout for the ABS thumb screws?
That sounds about right. I think the way it is done on the Fuji Cube 36 Advanced sump is nice.

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am up for anyone's constructive feedback at this point, I have two shop orders to fulfil for local displays by end of spring/mid of summer after my quality test period. Much appreciated

Are are some of my thoughts....

Appearances
Make the back wall, and maybe the side walls as well, colored (even white). A solid color back there will make the overall appearance cleaner looking and it will make it easier to see what is going on inside the sump without thinks like pipes and wires from other equipment showing though.

Use more of your accent color on the baffles. That will make it easier to visualize where the different compartments are and add that little extra kick to the looks.

Function
It might be the photos, but the sock holder looks like it is pretty low. I would raise that up so that it would work with longer socks (the socks I have are easily 12" long).

The top of the sock holder might need to be two layers thick with a stepped opening between the two. The bottom one would would be the circumference of the sock and the top would be the circumference of the plastic lip around the sock. This would help keep the socks seated on the holder and less water would slip past the plastic lip and around the sock.

A bubble trap downstream of the skimmer compartment might be helpful to catch all of the micro bubbles.

OP
OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are are some of my thoughts....

Appearances
Make the back wall, and maybe the side walls as well, colored (even white). A solid color back there will make the overall appearance cleaner looking and it will make it easier to see what is going on inside the sump without thinks like pipes and wires from other equipment showing though.

Use more of your accent color on the baffles. That will make it easier to visualize where the different compartments are and add that little extra kick to the looks.

Function
It might be the photos, but the sock holder looks like it is pretty low. I would raise that up so that it would work with longer socks (the socks I have are easily 12" long).

The top of the sock holder might need to be two layers thick with a stepped opening between the two. The bottom one would would be the circumference of the sock and the top would be the circumference of the plastic lip around the sock. This would help keep the socks seated on the holder and less water would slip past the plastic lip and around the sock.

A bubble trap downstream of the skimmer compartment might be helpful to catch all of the micro bubbles.
I have some frosted film, would that be a decent use or should I seek some opaque/frosted style of acrylic for the future (If possible with the Acrylic Shortage)

I had an idea where I would trim acrylic flourescent 1/4" dowels, didn't know if that would have been too much. I will apply some to the prototype and see how it looks. Could almost cut the dowels to size and weld them to the seams inside the ATO or so, basically creating a trim that glow, AS WELL as providing added support.

Function:
You are right, it is a little low. I am opting to raise the holder up to what you said, 12" or so

I have them recessed already. 1/8" lip for the rim of plastic, and then a 1/4" straight through cut for the sock. Definitely will give your suggestion a try. I see some companies do this with their rim and like it.

Yes totally right about the bubble trap. Should I stick to 1" wide bubble trap for flow?

OP
OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will take suggestions and add them all to the file, good culmination of improvements. Will run this current prototype for a couple months while I iron out the Alpha and make the second revision

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had another though on the function side of things. The way you have the flow setup from you crash box to the filter socks is not ideal. As you have it now the first sock is going to get dirty/clog faster then the second sock as the water has to travel past it first to get to the other sock. If the crash box emptied along the long edge of the sock holder, the water would flow equally to each then.

OP
OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the sump, it is doing well and holding it's seals, going fully operational today on the prototype, going to try to find some white/black/grey acrylic to make the baffles out of in the future. 14 improvements made to plate/baffles/lids for the next one

Attachments

• reef.jpg
    reef.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 65

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man! Surprisingly enough my at cost is REALLY reasonable, so if you ever want to get one "at cost" for your tank give me a PM, I am looking for a couple of people to get one after I do quality checks so they can give me feedback, in addition to mine. I have Blue, Green, Orange, Yellow, Red, and Purple! I am building a nano one for my office tank so I will post that too. Appreciate the kind words :) ALSO, Congrats on the home! I am 23 and looking for my first as well and boy has Grand Rapids gotten expensive in the last 8 years, homes went up by like 83k average o_O hoping the market pops a tiny bit

You have a dealer that has domestic Arkema Plex G in all those colors in stock? That is awesome!

OP
OP
Mason Michalski

Mason Michalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a dealer that has domestic Arkema Plex G in all those colors in stock? That is awesome!
No I use Arkema for the entirety of the sump except for rim and lids, only the part that need to be water tight and really depend on highest quality acrylic to hold a perfect bond (walls of the sump, and baffles). I make my rim out of a different cell cast that offers colors but it's much more generic than Arkema. Not to say its poorly made, it just offers more color options

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I've been on the hunt for something to replace my boring eshopps RS-200 3rd gen. I want something with color... especially some orange and/or gray to match my whole apex setup under there. Also need an open first chamber so I can throw my new Deltec VF4000 roller in there. I love your plumbing too! I def. want to do something similar.

So... I have a 155gal aquavim corner tank. The cabinet is white. Underneath, the two rear walls are about 32" or so. As for width... I was looking to go 15-18" and height... 16" or so seems to be the standard.

What do you charge for these setups?

Also... where did you get your plumbing stuff from and the grommets and stuff too. I'm planning to do all of this! I painted my board black but now... kinda thinking about gray.

Post up some more pix of your whole setup if you don't mind! Thanks!!

Back