customer service

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS is at the top of their game for customer service. I got a broken doser. I called, explained what was happening and they sent me a new doser. No fuss, no muss.

Really, there’s no debate here. They’re great.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Comments removed....being the bigger person here even though I'm personally offended about you trashing BRS bc you didnt get your way the way you wanted it

Last edited:

Bill_Moorman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if he knows his employees are haggling over $35 parts on $2000 orders. next time you have a beer with him why don't you ask?

I have had nothing but great service from them. Granted I haven’t spent as much as you, but still.

Either you continue giving them business or you don’t...they’ll continue to have mine unless they give me a reason not to.

OP
OP
Art2249

Art2249

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
N
Like someone else said - there is no debate. My guess is that you would have a better response to your 'logic' if you hadn't mentioned that you totaled up your receipts and spent xxx.xx at BRS (which to me makes no difference). Even then, its a specious argument, we are only hearing one side of the discussion (i.e. no one knows how (or if) you were rude to BRS - whether they apologized, offered to do something else, etc when you called to complain). BRS did what every other online retailer would do in this situation, and you got your parts.

You say - BRS is making a big deal out of a 35 $ charge - well conversely - so are you - is it really worth the 'good debate'? And BTW - I dont work for BRS, I have had the same issue with other vendors - and had various experiences (I once bought a $500 light from Amazon, Thought a piece was missing, they sent a replacement light - I subsequently found the piece - called amazon - they said - keep both lights - though it was MY mistake) - And had a much different experience with a different (smaller vendor) who sold a defective lighting controller and I needed to ship the whole thing back at my cost - and wait for a new light)- while my tank had no light for a week. So - all in all you were treated fairly. BRS is not amazon - and treats everyone the same - according to their policies - which are posted on their website.
Nope. Nobody was rude. Just politely asked if the correct part could be sent. I just love having the debate about customer service. Seems to me many people in this hobby are perfectly fine with vendors that pinch every penny. You should expect more given the money you are spending. I guess I'm just not used to dealing with this kind of service. I just ordered $2000 and you can't send me a $35 part? really? Is there nobody out there in this hobby that sais yea? treat me better?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please refrain from name calling and put downs. That is not allowed on this forum. While healthy debate is encouraged, this type of response is not.
Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
N
Nope. Nobody was rude. Just politely asked if the correct part could be sent. I just love having the debate about customer service. Seems to me many people in this hobby are perfectly fine with vendors that pinch every penny. You should expect more given the money you are spending. I guess I'm just not used to dealing with this kind of service. I just ordered $2000 and you can't send me a $35 part? really? Is there nobody out there in this hobby that sais yea? treat me better?
You shouldn't be treated any different if you spend 5 dollars or 2 thousand, you think spending a certain amount of money gives you privlages others don't? Doesn't seem like you understand how buisness works. My customers get the same treatment no matter how much they spend and I dont think they should just send you a part because you spend more. Same rules apply to you.

OP
OP
Art2249

Art2249

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't be treated any different if you spend 5 dollars or 2 thousand, you think spending a certain amount of money gives you privlages others don't? Doesn't seem like you understand how buisness works. My customers get the same treatment no matter how much they spend and I dont think they should just send you a part because you spend more. Same rules apply to you.
Actually i do understand. The same rule should apply to everyone. If I make a mistake my company will make it right, and you don't have to whip out your wallet first. Seems to me a lot of people are used to this and they shouldn't be. but i gotta go to bed for tonight and will be happy to resume this debate tomorrow. keep in mind that I am not just referring to one company, but the industry as a whole . Tomorrow i hope you can come back with better arguments than"this is the industry standard", or 'they treat everybody the same", or we're "just use to being treated like this".

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Just politely asked if the correct part could be sent”

Which it sounds like you said yes. You make no mention of asking for more. Why should you expect it? I am in retail management and when dealing with returns/corrections, not all situations require something free. That’s goes for any business.

You had your chance to ask for a free part, and didn’t. Now you’re accusing of sub-par customer service. Which is not the case at all.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually i do understand. The same rule should apply to everyone. If I make a mistake my company will make it right, and you don't have to whip out your wallet first. Seems to me a lot of people are used to this and they shouldn't be. but i gotta go to bed for tonight and will be happy to resume this debate tomorrow. keep in mind that I am not just referring to one company, but the industry as a whole . Tomorrow i hope you can come back with better arguments than"this is the industry standard", or 'they treat everybody the same", or we're "just use to being treated like this".
That's the issue, your looking for an argument.....

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my story. I ordered some stuff from BRS. It came but they only pulled 1 filter sock instead of 3 and no powdered spirulina. I order 2 jars. I e-mailed them a copy of the packing list and told them what was missing. 1 day later I got an email saying they would send the missing items at no charge.

OP
OP
Art2249

Art2249

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok my wife brought home pasta and now I am re-invigorated. Not an argument, just a friendly debate about customer service. As far as the money is concerned, I could care less. That's right I said it. I got back into this hobby because I was bored and had extra cash that I can't take with me where I'm going. It's either going to be spent on wine women and song, or fish tanks. I'm too old for the former. So, in the event that someone's perception isn't keen enough to discern what I am attempting to ilucidate, let me downsize the discussion. Forget about which company and focus on this. A $20 order and the customer needs a 50 cent part to make him whole. Are you going to make him take out his wallet and pay you 50 cents, even though it was your mistake. Hint: The answer is very easy.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok my wife brought home pasta and now I am re-invigorated. Not an argument, just a friendly debate about customer service. As far as the money is concerned, I could care less. That's right I said it. I got back into this hobby because I was bored and had extra cash that I can't take with me where I'm going. It's either going to be spent on wine women and song, or fish tanks. I'm too old for the former. So, in the event that someone's perception isn't keen enough to discern what I am attempting to ilucidate, let me downsize the discussion. Forget about which company and focus on this. A $20 order and the customer needs a 50 cent part to make him whole. Are you going to make him take out his wallet and pay you 50 cents, even though it was your mistake. Hint: The answer is very easy.
There is a difference though between a 50 cent replacement part for something you purchased, And received the correct item, but had a broken piece on it. As opposed to getting the wrong product altogether. This wasnt a matter of getting something and a little plastic piece snapped. You ordered one product, and received something else in error. Which the company admitted to and resolved for you. BRS was in no way, shape, or form in the wrong here. How the transaction was done shouldn't matter. You're not out any money and the company took care of you. They could have just said "nope you got what you ordered, we didnt make a mistake, we have your money and have a nice day" and never responded to you again, then you would have an argument. I believe that now you are just in it to initiate arguments with other users. I will not comment further in this thread unless absolutely necessary.
ezgif-3-b51c4ae69a.gif

Last edited:

tbaity1401

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it have been that Ecotech is a MAP product? I wonder if they're limited in just sending free replacement parts from the manufacturer with a MAP.

1st order i ever had with BRS was for 1" bulkheads. 1 of the gaskets had some inconsistencies and i was afraid of the seal. All i did was send a picture and a new bulkhead was sent overnight. Similar to others, their customer service has always been spot in.

tbaity1401

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I should mention that this was a debit card. We don't use credit cards. I have a special account that I can transfer funds to if needed. This practice has worked well for me in life. House and land paid for and no debt. It just so happens on the day I called about the part my wife had the debit card with her. that's probably what annoyed me about the whole situation.
Also this....the time you've spent complaining about $35, you could have signed up for a chase sapphire preferred credit card, spent the same $8k on it, paid it off, and you'd have approx. $580 extra to spend on the reef [emoji847][emoji847][emoji847]

You'd also not have any cash outflow for the $35 part.

Using a debit card for all purchases is pretty antiquated in my humble opinion. Probably a whole other debate unrelated to this thread though.

Bill_Moorman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rereading your OP, why would they send you a part trusting that you would send the other part back? Sure, you’ve spent $$$ with them, but they don’t know you from Adam, and they had no guarantee you’d do the right thing and send the wrong part back. I am sure if you would have sent the wrong part back first, they would have given you the correct one without charge.

Sounds to me they were just protecting their assets.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rereading your OP, why would they send you a part trusting that you would send the other part back? Sure, you’ve spent $$$ with them, but they don’t know you from Adam, and they had no guarantee you’d do the right thing and send the wrong part back. I am sure if you would have sent the wrong part back first, they would have given you the correct one without charge.

Sounds to me they were just protecting their assets.
Well said and agreed

OP
OP
Art2249

Art2249

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish to apologize to everyone on this forum and especially the people I have interacted with recently. I just read through some of my recent posts and am mortified. I have severe depression and the medication keeps me awake all the time. I haven't slept more that an hour at a stretch in months. I've been trying to wean myself off these pills and a few days ago stop taking them altogether. It's having some viscous side effects. Apparently alcohol only enhances the effect. Guess I should have gone to the doctor first. I put a lot of stuff out there that I can never get back. The one thing I can do is apologize. I'm really not like this all the time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 57 54.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.6%
Back