Cutting glass for tank

Cobystolz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a huge piece of glass I got for free and would like to make a frag tank out of it. The dimensions would hopefully be 47x23x12 inches. How would I cut that big of pieces of glass? It’s 1/4 inch glass. Also will I need any braces of any kind?
197B2B50-1769-4BBD-B3EF-AF306BAECC12.jpeg
303E17AF-14B1-43DF-8A4F-D2D34BCF66A2.jpeg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You will also need to bracing. You might also want to polish the edges. Glass is sharp.

Last edited:

C. A. M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my sump out of a couple of old pieces of window glass. The longer cuts seemed to be easier. I made sure the cut / etch went all the way to the each edge of the pane and placed the cut line right at the edge of a table. Holding the table side piece down with weight and very lightly with clamps, I was able to snap a pretty straight line for all the sides and bottom pieces. The baffles work very well to support / brace the front to the back. I polished mine with good ol sand paper. Not something I have sitting out for the world to see. Just me. :)
Best of luck!

OP
OP
C

Cobystolz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my sump out of a couple of old pieces of window glass. The longer cuts seemed to be easier. I made sure the cut / etch went all the way to the each edge of the pane and placed the cut line right at the edge of a table. Holding the table side piece down with weight and very lightly with clamps, I was able to snap a pretty straight line for all the sides and bottom pieces. The baffles work very well to support / brace the front to the back. I polished mine with good ol sand paper. Not something I have sitting out for the world to see. Just me. :)
Best of luck!
Ok thank you. I have cut glass before for sump baffles and a smaller tank it’s the 6x5 foot cut that sketches me out

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, use this at your own risk but I just cut a 1/4” thick piece of glass using a tile saw and a high quality diamond saw blade. Cut through it fairly effortlessly with a fairly clean cut.

OP
OP
C

Cobystolz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, use this at your own risk but I just cut a 1/4” thick piece of glass using a tile saw and a high quality diamond saw blade. Cut through it fairly effortlessly with a fairly clean cut.
How long was the cut?

OP
OP
C

Cobystolz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey sorry I haven’t responded sooner I’m not getting notifications anymore.

I did three cuts at 17” but there’s no doubt I could have gone longer
That’s fine, I tried cutting it and I made the 5x6 foot piece break into like twenty pieces after all the failed cuts then it cracked up along it. Now I need to get rid of it and then I have another piece I can get but I’m gonna have someone else cut it

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. Just saw this. I was going to say just take it somewhere. Won’t be very expensive to cut.

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s fine, I tried cutting it and I made the 5x6 foot piece break into like twenty pieces after all the failed cuts then it cracked up along it. Now I need to get rid of it and then I have another piece I can get but I’m gonna have someone else cut it

Agh sorry it didn’t work out. What did you end up using? a tile saw?

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up using a glass cutter that you use to score it
Okay I see. Sorry it didn’t work out. I also saw a thread on here where someone used a hand held tile saw to slice a 40b to make a shallow frag tank. If I find it I’ll share it with you.

PS I know you said you’re just going to have someone cut it but figured I’d share anyway

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back