Cutting through coral skeletons

  • Thread starter Thread starter ScottR
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Joined
Feb 12, 2019
Messages
8,365
Reaction score
25,182
Location
Hong Kong
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m attempting my first cutting of a coral skeleton. The base is pretty thick. I’m just curious to know if it’s difficult to cut through with a saw. Is it like cutting through rock? Of easier?
 
Saw might be best. U could still manage it with cutters going at small parts of the branch and also by twisting and not trying to cut by the cutters, but that might be a bit more damaging to tissue
 
I use a heavy duty pair of wire cutters most of the time, if that doesn’t work a dremel tool with cut off wheel works.. it’s a lot easier than cutting through rock.
 
Dremel tool works great. Just get a good cutting bit.
 
What about wall type coral and acans etc? Are these best done using a gryphon bandsaw for example?

A.
 
What about wall type coral and acans etc? Are these best done using a gryphon bandsaw for example?

A.
This is one of the corals I’ve gotta cut through. I’ll just use a hacksaw. Hopefully it works.

604FA22F-ED4C-481D-850F-09FEAA540EE8.jpeg
 
This is one of the corals I’ve gotta cut through. I’ll just use a hacksaw. Hopefully it works.

604FA22F-ED4C-481D-850F-09FEAA540EE8.jpeg

You will need a water cooled band saw for that and it will be a risky endeavor most likely resulting in the demise of your coral.
 
You will need a water cooled band saw for that and it will be a risky endeavor most likely resulting in the demise of your coral.
Oh no!!! I was wondering if this was going to be a tough endeavor.
 
Why do you want to cut it?
The skeleton is pointy at the bottom and can only be placed in the sand. I want to put it on rock so I need to saw it off to make it flatter. I also have a galaxea with an uneven bottom that I need to cut.
 
If your just cutting skeleton and not through the flesh you will be fine but you still probably need a water cooled band saw for best results.. do you have any LFS near you that specialize in corals? If so maybe they have a saw.
 
If your just cutting skeleton and not through the flesh you will be fine but you still probably need a water cooled band saw for best results.. do you have any LFS near you that specialize in corals? If so maybe they have a saw.
Yeah. I’ve got a ton around me. But I’m overseas and I can’t speak their language well enough, although I can try. :confused:
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 19.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 41 31.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 15.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new