Cutting Toadstool Frags

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I need to be concerned with the toadstool releasing toxins into my tank? My tanks is SPS dominated(50%), LPS (30%), and the remaining is 20% softies.

I have a tyree neon green toad that needs to be trimmed. It is huge, my trimming will probably make 25-35 1” cubed frags.

I have a pink/purple leather that needs to be trimmed too. Can I cut both on the same day?

Is a Razor blade the best way to cut them. Sorry I am clueless about softie cuttings compared to SPS.....

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn’t be a problem but you could run carbon, it will help

Last edited:

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scissors might work better then the blade but either or will do. I would run extra carbon if you are going to make 20-25 frags. Are the frags going in a frag tank or back in the tank?
It's probably better to do both the same day but again extra carbon will be a good idea.

OP
OP
Lousybreed

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! I have my frag tanks in the back room. They are all part of the same system however. Thanks for the vote of confidence. I have a 565 gallon system so anything should be pretty dilute. I will put a 1/4 cup of carbon in my filter sock and frag away!!! I suppose the both of you use rubber bands until the softie attaches to the rock or frag plug?

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use glue. There are a couple of built in dead spots in my frag tank and probably have about 80% success rate. Of course with 20 that means you are going to have a few floating around.

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! I have my frag tanks in the back room. They are all part of the same system however. Thanks for the vote of confidence. I have a 565 gallon system so anything should be pretty dilute. I will put a 1/4 cup of carbon in my filter sock and frag away!!! I suppose the both of you use rubber bands until the softie attaches to the rock or frag plug?

I use a hang on acclimation box that has holes drilled in it (I also sometimes use my social acclimation box if not in use). Put some rubble rock in the bottom and leave the frags in there for a couple of weeks until they are firmly attached.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.4%
Back