CuzzA's 40 Breeder Display & 40 Breeder Sump | True All In One | Mixed Reef Tank Build | Heavy Automation

OP
OP
CuzzA

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update on what's new along with a current FTS. I had some plastic fake corals that I decided to toss in the tank to make my fish feel more at home before I start adding coral. Right now I've just been getting my fish stocked and building the microfauna up in the tank.

Current stock is a purple firefish, two fancy ocellaris clowns, the gold midas blenny, a springeri damsel, three barnacle blennies, two yasha gobies with a randalli pistol shrimp, a skunk cleaner shrimp, and the serpent starfish. I added 250 amphipods along with the reef soup I put in before. My pod population is through the roof and my pod hotel skimmer and roller filter stands are crawling with them.

I had to move one of the Gulf live rocks to the sump as it was too alive. It was so porous that it had a ton of crabs, worms and a pink floyd pistol shrimp that I didn't feel comfortable leaving in the display.

The other two rocks are very much alive with a big bivalve, oculina coral, cup coral and some blue sponge and red tunicates. Adding the real live rock has proven to be pretty beneficial though. I have a solid population of good worms, mini brittle stars, baby cerith snails, bristle worms and even a decorator crab. I have had no algae other than film algae and a tiny patch of a very pretty red algae. I am going to leave it for now and see what happens. Coraline algae is beginning to spread and my rocks are turning dark grey every day.

Nutrients continue to drop despite adding more livestock and feeding more heavily. Last I checked phosphates were at .06 and nitrates were at 2. I added just a small amount of bio pellets to the reactor. Mostly to try and drive down the nitrates back to zero, but also to provide a food source for the micro fauna.

I currently have an ornate leopard wrasse and a small flame angel in qt. The final fish I plan on adding are a single ignitus anthia and a black axle chromis. The only other inverts will be an urchin when coraline algae takes over, a sea star that I will collect diving, probably a blood shrimp and I'm toying with the idea of trying to get a small population of ghost shrimp breeding in the tank.

I put together a frag pack of 10 acros from my LFSs prized display. I'm working on an encrusting frag pack and will eventually add the bubble tip anemone. I will also collect a photosynthetic gorgonian. That will probably round out the reef build and then it will be a matter of letting everything grow. I plan on using natural sea water and rotating some select rocks from the Gulf every now and then. Basically I want to keep the biodiversity up and also ensure my fish are maintaining their immunity for the future.

One final note. I switched to Fitz high alkalinity reef salt. I did this anticipating the first year I will be having higher than normal nutrients and so perhaps later on I'll go with the lower alk salt if I find my nutrients are too low. The salt mixes very clean, much cleaner than instant ocean. Couple with a decent price I am happy so far.

That's about all I can think of. This system continues to be very easy to maintain with all of the automation. I would totally feel comfortable going on vacation for two weeks and letting it run itself.

Not the best photo, but there's not much to go out of the way to show at the moment.

20191121_113501.jpg

Last edited:

2mk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update on what's new along with a current FTS. I had some plastic fake corals that I decided to toss in the tank to make my fish feel more at home before I start adding coral. Right now I've just been getting my fish stocked and building the microfauna up in the tank.

Current stock is a purple firefish, two fancy ocellaris clowns, the gold midas blenny, a springeri damsel, three barnacle blennies, two yasha gobies with a randalli pistol shrimp, a skunk cleaner shrimp, and the serpent starfish. I added 250 amphipods along with the reef soup I put in before. My pod population is through the roof and my pod hotel skimmer and roller filter stands are crawling with them.

I had to move one of the Gulf live rocks to the sump as it was too alive. It was so porous that it had a ton of crabs, worms and a pink floyd pistol shrimp that I didn't feel comfortable leaving in the display.

The other two rocks are very much alive with a big bivalve, oculina coral, cup coral and some blue sponge and red tunicates. Adding the real live rock has proven to be pretty beneficial though. I have a solid population of good worms, mini brittle stars, baby cerith snails, bristle worms and even a decorator crab. I have had no algae other than film algae and a tiny patch of a very pretty red algae. I am going to leave it for now and see what happens. Coraline algae is beginning to spread and my rocks are turning dark grey every day.

Nutrients continue to drop despite adding more livestock and feeding more heavily. Last I checked phosphates were at .06 and nitrates were at 2. I added just a small amount of bio pellets to the reactor. Mostly to try and drive down the nitrates back to zero, but also to provide a food source for the micro fauna.

I currently have an ornate leopard wrasse and a small flame angel in qt. The final fish I plan on adding are a single ignitus anthia and a black axle chromis. The only other inverts will be an urchin when coraline algae takes over, a sea star that I will collect diving, probably a blood shrimp and I'm toying with the idea of trying to get a small population of ghost shrimp breeding in the tank.

I put together a frag pack of 10 acros from my LFSs prized display. I'm working on an encrusting frag pack and will eventually add the bubble tip anemone. I will also collect a photosynthetic gorgonian. That will probably round out the reef build and then it will be a matter of letting everything grow. I plan on using natural sea water and rotating some select rocks from the Gulf every now and then. Basically I want to keep the biodiversity up and also ensure my fish are maintaining their immunity for the future.

One final note. I switched to Fitz high alkalinity reef salt. I did this anticipating the first year I will be having higher than normal nutrients and so perhaps later on I'll go with the lower alk salt if I find my nutrients are too low. The salt mixes very clean, much cleaner than instant ocean. Couple with a decent price I am happy so far.

That's about all I can think of. This system continues to be very easy to maintain with all of the automation. I would totally feel comfortable going on vacation for two weeks and letting it run itself.

Not the best photo, but there's not much to go out of the way to show at the moment.

20191121_113501.jpg
That's a lot that has happened. Wonder if you can shed some insights on cultivation pods and tiny creatures in a DT. At one point I have a lot of amphipods in my tank, but seem to have dwindled to the point I don't see much of them. FYI, I had never added any Pods to my tank. They just appear.

OP
OP
CuzzA

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a lot that has happened. Wonder if you can shed some insights on cultivation pods and tiny creatures in a DT. At one point I have a lot of amphipods in my tank, but seem to have dwindled to the point I don't see much of them. FYI, I had never added any Pods to my tank. They just appear.
I think it's hard to do with an SPS reef, unless you have a big refugium and/or excellent nutrient export allowing you to feed plankton. I am not a big fan of refugiums because it's another area that needs attention and I've read some species of algae can actually attack stressed coral chemically.

I think in our closed systems biodiversity is destined to decline and IMO, it's beneficial to replenish stock to keep the biodiversity up. Keep in mind I don't think it's necessary to just grow coral or keep fish alive, rather to keep the system from becoming coral, fish, bacteria.

Amphipods are very nocturnal. I was night diving in Key Largo last year and was swarmed by them. See at 4:40

So a late night peek at your tank with a red light might reveal you still have a healthy population. If not, adding some won't hurt.

OP
OP
CuzzA

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I added the Flame Angel today. I think that will be all for fish for now. The wrasse didnt make it through QT and at this point I think I could add one more fish, but that's about it and since everything is going well I'm going to leave the stocking where it's at. The angel is very healthy after going through QT and went right to work on the little bit of algae on the rocks and ate some LRS tonight.

Basically it's just a battle now for coraline algae to fill the void on the rockwork. Parameters remain okay, but I had a little precipitation in my WC reservoir because I forgot to account for the building residual saltwater. Using the higher alk mix coupled with a high salinity has led over time to a slight drop in calcium. That or the coraline has started taking it up.

Nitrates remain at 2.5. Waiting for the bio pellets to kick in, but I feed heavy frozen foods and haven't bothered with the pellets, so that may be where they stay. Which is probably fine. A little algae serves as food for the critters and my glass can go ten days between cleaning, which is usually a good indicator of how dirty the water is.

Phosphates have dropped to .04. I'm good with that.

I have ten acros that were cut three weeks ago. I'll be adding those this week, but in the meantime I need to get my dosing system setup. I think I'm going to go with the Neptune DOS. Seems like the best out there with the stepper motor and Apex programming. I will use containers purchased from Bezos and pick up that eBay DIY DDR liquid level kit. Ultimately my goal is to keep my alk at around 9.5 and calcium at 425. Mag at 1350. Nitrates less than 2 and phosphates less than .05.

Screenshot_20191206-215326_Apex Fusion.jpg

I made a little video to illustrate the progession of what a day looks like going from the photo period to sunset. Pretty cool effect to have in your living room every night. Not the greatest video using pics from my phone but good enough to share.

OP
OP
CuzzA

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I'm so jealous of your build. It so well thought out, creative and well executed. I will definitely be returning to this thread for future ideas in my builds.

I have a 40 b as well. Love the tank.
Thanks. I have a lot of ideas over the years and if I had the time and a fish room I'd love to implement them into a big system. Admittedly I wish I would have just built the 5' 100 gallon like I originally wanted, but that's a lot of water to put in a living room on your first glass box build. Plus I couldn't justify what the tank builders wanted in this hot economy. So maybe an upgrade in the future.

I am looking forward to getting corals in the system. While the fake corals have helped subside impatience, it's time to make this thing pop. :D

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I have a lot of ideas over the years and if I had the time and a fish room I'd love to implement them into a big system. Admittedly I wish I would have just built the 5' 100 gallon like I originally wanted, but that's a lot of water to put in a living room on your first glass box build. Plus I couldn't justify what the tank builders wanted in this hot economy. So maybe an upgrade in the future.

I am looking forward to getting corals in the system. While the fake corals have helped subside impatience, it's time to make this thing pop. :D

I cant wait to see what it looks like when you do!

I know what you mean about the price on these bigger tanks, the 40 b aqueon is just such a sweet spot with the price point and manageable size. I was actually in petco the other day and I saw they had some 75 g aqueons in stock that just looked so awesome haha

OP
OP
CuzzA

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I'm picking up the coral tomorrow from my LFS. They have a gorgeous reef and I picked out 10 pieces making sure to get a good blend of colors.

The pieces I chose are as follows...

Forest Fire Digi
Battle Stag
Orange Mille
Green Slimer
Green Hulk
Blue Slimer
Fuzzy Pink Mille
Ultra Blue Bonzai
Strawberry Shortcake Acro
Gomezi Acro

These will be placed across the center and right rocks. I'll put one slimer on the small background rock. The forward right rock will be getting a bubble tip nem. The tall rock to the left will get a collection of encrusting corals yet to be determined. I will also probably put some dendros and blastos in the lower light under cuts. Finally there's a small solo rock at the base that isn't attached so I'll likely grow a little garden of various zoas and move it off the tall rock an inch or so.

I'm hoping to get out for one more dive before the end of the year, before we hang up the spearguns as most species will be closed January 1st. If I do, I plan on looking for a small starfish, a photosynthetic gorgonian, and a feather duster or two. I may add a plate as well. I had a UFO plate in the past and that thing was bullet proof when it would get covered in sand. So that's the plan. I'm also trying to figure out a clever, easy and natural looking way to keep nori on a hard surface to keep the angel occupied. Fingers crossed he will be a model citizen.

Here's some picture of my LFS's main hard coral reef. Pics don't do it justice, as usual. But if you're ever in the Tampa Bay area, stop in The Coral Corral. They have two huge displays. The smaller hard coral one is several hundred gallons and the large one is soft corals and a ton of fish, sometimes sharks.

1576377943737.png

1576377983541.png

1576378005147.png

OP
OP
CuzzA

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral is in the tank. I ran out of time to glue them down, just as well I think. I'll probably leave them there for observation for the next few days. My LFS threw in a couple leptos for free, so that was pretty cool.

The transport rack you see was something I whipped up today. Two levels of egg crate. One on top for the frags, the bottom as a stabilizer base. A half inch PVC coupling fits perfectly inside the cut out of four squares. Then I added a little pipe to be able to pick it up. Years ago I bought a multi pack of tall nesting tupperware for acclimating fish and corals. The rack fit perfect in the largest one and made picking up, transport and acclimation a breeze. A good way to haul a bunch of coral without using plastic bags.

20191215_181618.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
CuzzA

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a better shot of the transport rack. One other thing to note is the coral didnt skip a beat. I don't think I'll use bags ever again. There was no coral slimming and for most of them the polyps didn't even close.
20191215_190206.jpg

20191215_193726.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
CuzzA

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I got the dosing squared away. Definitely going with the DOS. Especially since I can run it through the 1link on the Apex. I am going to mount it underneath the electronics cabinet.

I found these chemical rated clear 1 gallon containers off Amazon for $22. Comes with a funnel too.
20191217_161332.jpg

They came in today and check all the boxes. They are slim to store behind the system, will hold a gallon of 2 part which is how I intend on purchasing it, they are clear to view the contents, drill-able to install the sensors, and finally they have child proof caps.

I also ordered the eBay DIY DDS cable kit. Neptune should just be selling the cable kit. Not everyone can fit or would want to use their containers.

Anyway. I should be good to go when it becomes time to start dosing. I don't anticipate needing to for a while, but I want the system in place when levels start to drop. All the corals except the Battle Stag look good. For some reason it began to RTN this morning. I quickly gave it a dip in Coral Rx which seems to have stopped anymore tissue loss. Polyps are now extended so maybe it will survive. Necrosis happens when a coral's immune system is weak and a stressor, like being fragged and put in a new tank, allows for a bacterial infection. This is my first time trying this dip so hopefully because I caught it early enough it will stop the spread of the infection. If not I will try the coral again, but with a much longer acclimation. My guess is the higher alk in my system shocked it.

OP
OP
CuzzA

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's another little system I added a while back but have never mentioned here. I wanted the ability to see what was going on in the tank, especially if there was flow or not. I know a lot of people use web and security cameras, but I had an old Samsung phone in the electronics bin and figured there's probably a way to use it for this purpose. Turns out it has a little more utility that just a camera.

What I did was installed a little velcro on the phone and on the underside of the canopy to mount it and ran a charging cable to keep it powered. The velcro allows for easy removal for glass cleaning. I tried my best to get the phone camera to run through Fusion, but no luck. However I found an app called Ivideon. This app works great, it's free and the video feed can be viewed on your phone or desktop and you can also share a link to others.

20191217_184233.jpg

Then the wheels started turning and I thought you know what would be cool? Some ocean ambiance. The phone has a speaker and so how about some surf background noise? Again I wanted to be able to control it from other devices and found another app called Bubble UPnP. This app allows me to stream media to the phone from my phone. So if I'm relaxing on the couch reading an article or relaxing I can just use the app and enjoy the sounds of the ocean. Pretty cool. Also free.

20191217_184247.jpg

Finally, of course I have a Fusion control panel right there next to the feeder trap door. So no searching for my phone or accessing the sump control panel if I want to feed. Anyway, thought I'd share.

20191217_184205.jpg

OP
OP
CuzzA

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my youngest son came down with a cold last night. Of course during the day you'd hardly know it, but nevertheless he didn't go to school and I stayed home from work which presented a fish store run.

I went for a blood shrimp and returned with the shrimp and a nem I couldn't resist. So far so good on anemone island. It went right in the hole I made and appears content for now. Fingers crossed. I'm going to take the clowns home away. They took up residence on the IM defrosting feeder. I may just move it over to the nem and see if they'll make the switch.

20191218_173939.jpg
20191218_173917.jpg

Also I thought I'd share a pic of an oculina robusta coral from the Gulf. They are not indo beautiful, but are unique and have fluorescent lines within the polyps. There is also a large golf ball size bivalve to the left of it and barnacles and red tunicates on the rock. This came from Tampa Bay Saltwater's live rock which is the only legal way you can get your hands on the coral. I wasn't trying to get the coral, but when digging through the bin, I wasn't going to pass it up for some plain Jane rock.

20191217_195503.jpg

Last edited:

Msteven1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
btmedic04, do you still want the cut list? I haven't forgot about you. I just haven't had the time, but should be able to get it for you tomorrow.

Hello Cuzza,
Outstanding build!!!! I'm about to start on my 40BR......Did you get a chance to make a cut list for the stand?? I love it and would be grateful.

OP
OP
CuzzA

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new pet has settled in and warrants a photo. :cool:

It seems to have really taken well to nem island. But I still need to come up with a powerhead guard plan. I'm thinking just a big plastic gutter guard box. Just as well since I have a lifetime supply of it from the last build.

20191220_183333.jpg

OP
OP
CuzzA

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I got my DIY DDR sensor reservoirs installed, but need to figure out what fitting to use. Don't have the DOS yet. I assume a John Guest bulkhead will work, but if anyone knows for sure let me know.

OP
OP
CuzzA

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a few more corals two days ago. A setosa frag I busted up and spread throughout the reef since it's usually a slow grower and will balance out the colors around the tank. Also added a really healthy red planet coming off the tall rock, some encrusting montiporas and a couple unknown acros I'll have to get an ID on. My son begged me for the hammer coral. And well $15 for two heads, tank aquacultured, I figured it was an acceptable choice given the angel fish. Amazingly the fish hasn't touched a coral so I'm still optimistic I have a winner. Could I get away with a clam? :p Haha, still too early to tell if he's going to be great.

The anemone hasn't moved an inch and seems really happy under the Kessil on nem island set at 50% blue and 50% white ramping up and down and finally going all blue at sunset. Either I'm good or really lucky. Clowns are still living in the acrylic feeder. Dummies.

I bumped my Qmaven light up to 80% blue and 40% white for the 5 hour photo period. So far so good, but some coraline algae did begin to turn light pink so they may have got a little shock.

I test my water today and things are looking better after the WC reservoir precipitation event.

Finally, here's some random pics because posts without pics suck. :cool:

Screenshot_20191223-183957_Apex Fusion.jpg
20191223_180034.jpg
20191223_180103.jpg
20191223_180108.jpg
20191223_180114.jpg
20191223_181250.jpg
20191223_181308.jpg
20191223_181756.jpg

Fugepower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow alot of great information here. A very detailed build I got a few ideas for my 40b display and 40b sump

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back