OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Learning some more with another book! Got it yesterday.

IMG_20191016_194246.jpg
@Paul B thank you sir!. This was an incredible entertaining read. Learned a lot, great read for a newbie. Now going to go build myself a brine shrimp feeder and get some duct tape for the wife's nylons.

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't believe I went 1+ year without this. The probe is now in my sump. There isn't just much information about it in the first places newbies like myself look I guess. I had thought a GFCI was enough. Thanks @Brew12 for your thread on ground probes, it was extremely informative. If you ask me, this is all about safety, the supreme guide to setting up a tank should be edited and should include a section on ground probes and their benefits. Maybe even BRS should have a BRS investigates showing the benefits of probe + GFCI, vs only GFCI vs nothing to teach newbies about safety.

15727496535792166738226547995942.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't believe I went 1+ year without this. The probe is now in my sump. There isn't just much information about it in the first places newbies like myself look I guess. I had thought a GFCI was enough. Thanks @Brew12 for your thread on ground probes, it was extremely informative. If you ask me, this is all about safety, the supreme guide to setting up a tank should be edited and should include a section on ground probes and their benefits. Maybe even BRS should have a BRS investigates showing the benefits of probe + GFCI, vs only GFCI vs nothing to teach newbies about safety.

15727496535792166738226547995942.jpg
I'm glad you found what I put together useful!

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad you found what I put together useful!
@Brew12 sorry to pester you, maybe a quick question?. Would you recommend removing the probe while you leave your tank on vacation to prevent a GFCI trip while away?
Thanks, sorry to bother.

MrWheelock

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 sorry to pester you, maybe a quick question?. Would you recommend removing the probe while you leave your tank on vacation to prevent a GFCI trip while away?
Thanks, sorry to bother.
Personally I would plug it into a completely separate outlet on a different breaker if possible.

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would plug it into a completely separate outlet on a different breaker if possible.
Got it. Thanks mrwheelock. Will do that. Can I plug it into a grounded extension cord to reach the other outlet or will that defeat the purpose of the probe? Otherwise I'll have some electrician do some work for me

MrWheelock

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. Thanks mrwheelock. Will do that. Can I plug it into a grounded extension cord to reach the other outlet or will that defeat the purpose of the probe? Otherwise I'll have some electrician do some work for me
That would be a question for Brew12 honestly, I would like to know aswell because I will have to use one also. I would think as long as its a grounded extension cord it should be fine though.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, sorry to bother.
No pester at all. I love these questions, even if this one is a bit difficult.

I leave mine on all the time, but my system has some redundancy built into it. My controller will also email me if a GFCI trips so I can have someone go help troubleshoot it.

Without that redundancy, it becomes a more difficult question. It's a bad situation either way. Do you want a faulted energized component to release elevated levels of copper and other contaminants in your system, or do you want to risk loosing all flow and/or temperature control. Based on an individual system, it's a tough situation to be in.

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pester at all. I love these questions, even if this one is a bit difficult.

I leave mine on all the time, but my system has some redundancy built into it. My controller will also email me if a GFCI trips so I can have someone go help troubleshoot it.

Without that redundancy, it becomes a more difficult question. It's a bad situation either way. Do you want a faulted energized component to release elevated levels of copper and other contaminants in your system, or do you want to risk loosing all flow and/or temperature control. Based on an individual system, it's a tough situation to be in.
Thanks. This is super helpful. I guess I will go read on some of this redundant systems so I can implement in the future. I guess for now, my line of thought is gauging that risk if I am gone for just a few days . I.e. being away for a few days, I would guess the lesser of two evils is the fault component. The fault component could be be small or large issue in the end, but having no temp and flow is a catastrophic one for sure in just a few hours.

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased this brine shrimp hatchery this week and I can't speak highly enough about it. Within 24 hours I had thousands of live shrimp swimming in the little sieve. And what a difference feeding these made! My fish went crazy, most corals opened more than usual, and even my yellow watchman who has never left his cave in a year, was swimming around the tank like a tang chasing little shrimp. Really happy with this product!!! (Next step is a second attempt at building Paul B's feeder. The first attempt have to confess was an embarrassing failure haha)

IMG_20191120_213751.jpg IMG_20191120_213720.jpg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased this brine shrimp hatchery this week and I can't speak highly enough about it. Within 24 hours I had thousands of live shrimp swimming in the little sieve. And what a difference feeding these made! My fish went crazy, most corals opened more than usual, and even my yellow watchman who has never left his cave in a year, was swimming around the tank like a tang chasing little shrimp. Really happy with this product!!! (Next step is a second attempt at building Paul B's feeder. The first attempt have to confess was an embarrassing failure haha)

IMG_20191120_213751.jpg IMG_20191120_213720.jpg
That is very cool. Once it is set up, is there an ongoing expense? Is it time consuming?

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is very cool. Once it is set up, is there an ongoing expense? Is it time consuming?
Not at all, it takes just a few minutes to set up and then wait 24-36 hours for them to hatch. The ongoing expense will be just the eggs. I got mine at BRS for $12. I assume that little jar will last me a few months or more. Here is a link to a review of it

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Interesting. My clam decides to take a walk a couple days ago. Last night it had attached to my Xenia base completely. Xenia was approximately fist size. I came back from work today and the clam has continued it's path, but this is what it happened to the Xenia it was attached to!!!
So, public announcement, if you want to get rid of Xenia in your tank, get a clam and set it next to it! ;) :)

MVIMG_20191121_174138.jpg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow. Interesting. My clam decides to take a walk a couple days ago. Last night it had attached to my Xenia base completely. Xenia was approximately fist size. I came back from work today and the clam has continued it's path, but this is what it happened to the Xenia it was attached to!!!
So, public announcement, if you want to get rid of Xenia in your tank, get a clam and set it next to it! ;) :)

MVIMG_20191121_174138.jpg
Interesting! Let us know how it continues

OP
OP
boacvh

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting! Let us know how it continues
Xenia finished melting completely yesterday. I guess the clams filaments(?) were toxic to it? It was wrapping all it's base. No idea. Very interesting though. Everything else in tank doing fine so going to discard it was something else.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back