OP
OP
C

capted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only fish in the qt. Very good point about intense coloring. Fish is very colorful. I'm hoping it's swimming when I get home. Beautiful fish. Got a juvenile figuring I would have a higher success rate. I might do a fresh water bath and check for flukes next.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only fish in the qt. Very good point about intense coloring. Fish is very colorful. I'm hoping it's swimming when I get home. Beautiful fish. Got a juvenile figuring I would have a higher success rate. I might do a fresh water bath and check for flukes next.
You might be wrong about the methylene blue. I’ve read numerous articles where methylene blue is used as an antidote for cyanide poisoning. I would Google it. Start here. Good luck.

Methylene blue and cyanide poisoning in ornamental fish

Last edited:

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used newly-hatched brine shrimp to entice the tiniest juvenile Majestic I’ve ever seen to eat. I know you said he was previously eating, but some live food might help.

OP
OP
C

capted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might try the live brine shrimp. Had to do that with other finicky eaters also. Just hope he hangs in there long enough. I have read that methylene blue can only help with cyanide poisoning if done right after collecting the fish with cyanide. I will keep posting my adventure with this mess. Hopefully with some happy results!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used copper power at 2.1. I was going to prazi treat after the copper. Didn't know flukes caused loss of appetite. Nothing visible at all but I may start prazi tonight after a water change. Do think a methylene bath will help with the copper for a detox? Just strange how it went from eating out of my hands for 3 weeks to no interest and hiding within 3 days.

Copper Power at that dose won't cause acute issues. Something else is going on. With flukes, you would see a gradually slowing of feeding, not all at once.

Water tests out all o.k.?
No other fish in the tank with it?
Respiration rate unchanged?

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might try the live brine shrimp. Had to do that with other finicky eaters also. Just hope he hangs in there long enough. I have read that methylene blue can only help with cyanide poisoning if done right after collecting the fish with cyanide. I will keep posting my adventure with this mess. Hopefully with some happy results!

Can you ask the dealer where it was collected? They may not know, but worth asking.....

Jay

OP
OP
C

capted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No other fish with him. Water check was good. I also did around a 75% water change using my display tank water. I will check again when I get home. It did take about 3 days to stop eating. Just started hiding which was strange. Breathing is normal. I think the store gets shipments from Indonesia and the Philippines. I have purchased many fish from the store before. Usually ich issues. Jay, this is the fish I mentioned about issues with HLLE and copper a few weeks ago. No HLLE but now this. Go figure.

OP
OP
C

capted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad update. Just came home to him lying on the floor dead. Horrible. Still going to check all the parameters anyway. Wonder if I do a freshwater bath flukes would still be alive and would fall off. I only wish there was a cyanide test to prove it or dismiss it. @Jay Hemdal any thoughts?

mandyvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad update. Just came home to him lying on the floor dead. Horrible. Still going to check all the parameters anyway. Wonder if I do a freshwater bath flukes would still be alive and would fall off. I only wish there was a cyanide test to prove it or dismiss it. @Jay Hemdal any thoughts?
Sorry for your loss.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry to hear. The FW dip on a dead fish works, but you need access to a microscope and you need to give the dip within an hour or so of the fish dying (the flukes drop off pretty quick). Only one group of flukes, the capsalids, can be seen without a microscope.

Cyanide tests post mortem have a lot of interference issues. Plus, cyanide is metabolized pretty quickly, it is the damage that it does that causes the fish to die later on.

Here is some text from my yet-to-be published aquarium disease manuscript:

Cyanide collection​

The collection of marine aquarium fishes with sodium cyanide has been well documented and is the primary cause of death for freshly collected marine fish from certain regions. Exporters handling these fish tend to either categorically deny that this practice takes place or just sidestep the issue and say that it doesn’t really harm the fish.

In one unpublished 1983 study, 61% of a group of suspected cyanide-collected fish died within 30 days of their importation. None of the control fish housed in same the aquarium system died, and only 9.1% of the fish originating from more sustainable areas, including Hawaii and Sri Lanka, died during the same time. The sample size was 448 fish, so it was large enough to reveal a general trend.

A similar test undertaken in 2006 showed that 55% of a group of Philippine and Indonesian fish died within 30 days of importation versus 3.1% of the control fish housed in the same system. In a third study, which followed a group of marine fish for 40 days after their arrival, 55.9% of the fish from suspect cyanide collection areas died while only 6.2% of the fish acquired from more sustainable regions and quarantined in the same system (at the same time) died.

There are currently movements afoot that are helping to limit cyanide collection in the Philippines, but the problem seems to continue mostly unabated in Indonesia. There are rumors that cyanide collection is increasing in Vietnam, the Red Sea and the Cook Islands. It is not unknown for dealers to “re-label” their fish as having originated from an area that does not use cyanide. This can happen at any stage of the supply chain, so even your dealer may have been misled.

Jay

OP
OP
C

capted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's pretty scary. What a shame that there is no way to enforce regulations regarding cyanide use. I do have a microscope but I think it died hours before I got home. I got lucky with my other Angel's I purchased from the same store. Now I'm nervous about trying another majestic. @Jay Hemdal . Keep us posted about your book. I have heard it's a nightmare to publish and print stuff for some time now.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back