Cyano crazed

Jeremy K.A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone the past few weeks I’ve been dealing with Red Cyanobacteria in my 55 mixed reef. I have no idea what is causing it or why it won’t go away, even after manual removal. The parameters are as follows
Salinity 1.026
Alk 10
Calcium 480
Nitrates 0
Phosphates 0
Temperature 78° steady.
Flow is by a maxspect gyre XF230 at 100%.

Any ideas? Any tips? Please help, thank you very much [emoji1362]

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some Cyanobacteria that bloomed everywhere when I started using Selcon and additionally, CE Amino. I stopped both, blew all the Cyanobacteria off the rocks and it stopped the bloom in a week or so. I eventually started the Amino again, but at a lesser rate.

I would recommend looking at what you are adding to the tank and see if there is anything new that could be contributing. If the tank is young, it may just be a phase. Usually the Cyanobacteria will cease on its own. I would personally be reluctant to try chemical intervention, but that is just me. Some have success with that route.

OP
OP
Jeremy K.A.

Jeremy K.A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some Cyanobacteria that bloomed everywhere when I started using Selcon and additionally, CE Amino. I stopped both, blew all the Cyanobacteria off the rocks and it stopped the bloom in a week or so. I eventually started the Amino again, but at a lesser rate.

I would recommend looking at what you are adding to the tank and see if there is anything new that could be contributing. If the tank is young, it may just be a phase. Usually the Cyanobacteria will cease on its own. I would personally be reluctant to try chemical intervention, but that is just me. Some have success with that route.

Definitely staying away from chemical intervention haha. I don't dose aminos that often, maybe every two weeks. The tank is 2.5 years old now I think. I can't really think of anything I'm doing differently, maybe feeding the fish a bit more often perhaps but so slightly I doubt it would make such a substantial difference

Spooky_Whizz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem but I have been using chemiclean and Red Sea phosphate reducer. It has stopped spreading. Rocks are not clear yet but it’s not spreading at least. I have mostly found phosphates to be the problem but yours being 0 and good flow, can’t exactly say what could cause it. I also do blackouts few days at a time. That does help.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back