Cyano crazed

Jeremy K.A.

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 6, 2017
Messages
292
Reaction score
147
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone the past few weeks I’ve been dealing with Red Cyanobacteria in my 55 mixed reef. I have no idea what is causing it or why it won’t go away, even after manual removal. The parameters are as follows
Salinity 1.026
Alk 10
Calcium 480
Nitrates 0
Phosphates 0
Temperature 78° steady.
Flow is by a maxspect gyre XF230 at 100%.

Any ideas? Any tips? Please help, thank you very much [emoji1362]
 
I had some Cyanobacteria that bloomed everywhere when I started using Selcon and additionally, CE Amino. I stopped both, blew all the Cyanobacteria off the rocks and it stopped the bloom in a week or so. I eventually started the Amino again, but at a lesser rate.

I would recommend looking at what you are adding to the tank and see if there is anything new that could be contributing. If the tank is young, it may just be a phase. Usually the Cyanobacteria will cease on its own. I would personally be reluctant to try chemical intervention, but that is just me. Some have success with that route.

 
I had some Cyanobacteria that bloomed everywhere when I started using Selcon and additionally, CE Amino. I stopped both, blew all the Cyanobacteria off the rocks and it stopped the bloom in a week or so. I eventually started the Amino again, but at a lesser rate.

I would recommend looking at what you are adding to the tank and see if there is anything new that could be contributing. If the tank is young, it may just be a phase. Usually the Cyanobacteria will cease on its own. I would personally be reluctant to try chemical intervention, but that is just me. Some have success with that route.

Definitely staying away from chemical intervention haha. I don't dose aminos that often, maybe every two weeks. The tank is 2.5 years old now I think. I can't really think of anything I'm doing differently, maybe feeding the fish a bit more often perhaps but so slightly I doubt it would make such a substantial difference
 
I have the same problem but I have been using chemiclean and Red Sea phosphate reducer. It has stopped spreading. Rocks are not clear yet but it’s not spreading at least. I have mostly found phosphates to be the problem but yours being 0 and good flow, can’t exactly say what could cause it. I also do blackouts few days at a time. That does help.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 27.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new