Cyano (I think), but should I do anything about it?

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do believe the issue is the redfield ratio. If you don't have enough nitrates, your bacteria can't break down phosphate. The theory, as I understand it, is to raise the nitrate level so your beneficial bacteria can do their job.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do believe the issue is the redfield ratio. If you don't have enough nitrates, your bacteria can't break down phosphate. The theory, as I understand it, is to raise the nitrate level so your beneficial bacteria can do their job.
Yes , that’s the theory. However, in seeing so many tanks over the years now, I don’t belive it’s a common occurrence.

Also , if one is quoting the redfield ratio and it’s study of nutrient uptake in a green phyto plankton and applying it to nitrifying bacteria and saying it would starve , why would cyano be exempt and not starve as well?

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes , that’s the theory. However, in seeing so many tanks over the years now, I don’t belive it’s a common occurrence.

Also , if one is quoting the redfield ratio and it’s study of nutrient uptake in a green phyto plankton and applying it to nitrifying bacteria and saying it would starve , why would cyano be exempt and not starve as well?
If cyano does indeed have the ability to pull nitrogen from the air, I'm going to guess phyto does not have said ability.... I'm getting out of my depth here now :)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Rabbit hole.

It would again mean the good bacteria is fine too.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would cyano's ability to also photosynthesize have impact there? I don't believe our good bacteria can.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped the aminos over 2 weeks ago at this point. If anything, the cyano is getting worse now. How long do you think they'd stay in the system? I've done a couple of water changes since then too...

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped the aminos over 2 weeks ago at this point. If anything, the cyano is getting worse now. How long do you think they'd stay in the system? I've done a couple of water changes since then too...
Add on to this that I just found out I under-dosed the aminos substantially. The label says one drop per 250g, so I was diluting in RODI and dosing over 5 days. Turns out it was supposed to be one drop per 25g. So I was dosing like 1/10 what I should have been.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add on to this that I just found out I under-dosed the aminos substantially. The label says one drop per 250g, so I was diluting in RODI and dosing over 5 days. Turns out it was supposed to be one drop per 25g. So I was dosing like 1/10 what I should have been.
IMO. Instructions for dosing food can’t be done by volume.
An old full tank and a new empty tank will obviously eat differently.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had cyano when I fed phyto too. Just don’t use that, it’s to much. Feed mysis. Your fish will feed your coral. Reef roids twice a week. You will be good to go.
The phyto is the only thing I didn't stop dosing. My corals all seem to like it when I feed it though. I'll try stopping it for a couple weeks and see if it helps.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The phyto is the only thing I didn't stop dosing. My corals all seem to like it when I feed it though. I'll try stopping it for a couple weeks and see if it helps.
Yea they like it but there’s to many side effects for me. I still put maybe 1 ml in my 90 once a month. And the day after I do that my glass is caked in algae. Like I said, it’s to much lol.
Do you use reef roids ? It can cause cyano to but not nearly as bad imo

GodfathR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently had the same issue as you. Except mine was brown in color and was taking my tank over. Water changes didnt seem to help, nor did manually removing it as it always came back. I ended dosing 2ml per gallon of hydrogen peroxide. Most people only dose 1ml per gallon but I wanted the stuff gone. I also manually removed ALL my rocks and sprayed each rock with hydrogen peroxide. Granted I sacrificed my corals that were attached to the rock, but I was desperate. Oh, I also dosed Dr Tims One And Only, followed by Dr Tims Waste Away. I can say my tank is about 95% free of this algae and only seems to be getting better each day.
Here are some before and after pics.

20181208_133645.jpg

20181208_133653.jpg

20181208_133657.jpg

20181224_084207.jpg

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea they like it but there’s to many side effects for me. I still put maybe 1 ml in my 90 once a month. And the day after I do that my glass is caked in algae. Like I said, it’s to much lol.
Do you use reef roids ? It can cause cyano to but not nearly as bad imo
I do not use reef roids. I have dosed ME coral food, but not in quite some time. I've never seen positive results with powdered coral foods.

I just recently had the same issue as you. Except mine was brown in color and was taking my tank over. Water changes didnt seem to help, nor did manually removing it as it always came back. I ended dosing 2ml per gallon of hydrogen peroxide. Most people only dose 1ml per gallon but I wanted the stuff gone. I also manually removed ALL my rocks and sprayed each rock with hydrogen peroxide. Granted I sacrificed my corals that were attached to the rock, but I was desperate. Oh, I also dosed Dr Tims One And Only, followed by Dr Tims Waste Away. I can say my tank is about 95% free of this algae and only seems to be getting better each day.
Here are some before and after pics.

20181208_133645.jpg

20181208_133653.jpg

20181208_133657.jpg

20181224_084207.jpg
Nice transformation. You appear to have had dinos, not cyano. :)

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not use reef roids. I have dosed ME coral food, but not in quite some time. I've never seen positive results with powdered coral foods.

Nice transformation. You appear to have had dinos, not cyano. :)
Ok then use roti feast, roe, and artici pods by reef nutrition.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did lights out for just shy of 48 hours. Tested phosphates and they jumped from 0.012 to 0.055. Yikes! The cyano died back a good bit. I put 1/4c of GFO in a reactor to try and do a double whammy on the cyano.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back