Cyano (I think), but should I do anything about it?

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Annnnnnd I did what I was trying to avoid and stripped the phosphates to zero. :mad:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, just to pose a 100% opposite action

Our sand rinse thread is 16 pages of simply cleaning sandbeds to make cyano go away, why not consider just ridding your entire tank of cyano, and it’s feed, wo any meds or drastic param swings which are not aimed at what corals want? We show basic cleaning to be a wow. After it’s done, you can’t reach in and grab sand and drop it to make a giant clouding of waste, you reach in and drop sand and it snow globes and cyano is done

Why alter any param balances if grabbed sand spews cloud fuel everywhere, and any rock shaken mid tank water casts off a massive cloud. De clouding= hasn’t been tried here but has massive documentation of working. Imagine de clouding first, removing all invader and fuel, and -then adjusting- base ratios...totally different combo to consider.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice @brandon429

I’ve actually stirred this sand bed since day 1. With the exception of places I physically can’t get to the sand shouldn’t be holding all that much funk. Do you think my sand is the issue?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can do is provide bulk work to sift for patterns hope this helps:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-official-sand-rinse-thread-aka-one-against-many.230281/page-18

Vs testing and reacting to any params, we chose there to manage invasion solely off things we can view without kits- clouding. Stirring is nice to maintain the clean condition, but it won’t cause it. Better to start clean, then stir as maintenance. In every cyano challenge here worked, they had sand that makes a cloud if you grab n drop, and their rocks had retained detritus in them such that shaking one about mid tank confirms the notion, we undo that above with full tank cleaning not partial. Got a nice 4 month update w pics too on last page. High work, strong outcome for sure. I think you should clean out your tank then adjust the params and competition. You’re working in the clouded condition so far, most likely based on what I read here

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Regular water changes, responsible feeding, more flow, wait. It's just cyano.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regular water changes, responsible feeding, more flow, wait. It's just cyano.
I’m thinking it was my phyto dosing that caused the issue. Can’t add much more flow or I’d have to go bare bottom :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back