Cyano? Or Dino?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So it's gets way less at night but dose not completely go away. I would say 1/2 as bad at night. During the day when it's fully blooming I can watch strands of it fly off the bottom and Into the water colum and smashing into rocks.
Because it loves light

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Did not know that.
Mine stayed on the sand always, where my Dinos lifted off completely as sone as light was gone.
The Dino can consume light as well as direct ingestion.
Cyano will cover rocks and even glass and power heads

Hectorg214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having the same issues. I have done blackouts and even used chemiclean but it keeps coming back. I think my problem is not enough filtering. I have a 72 bowfront with only an emperor 400 and a skimmer. Thinking about getting a Tidal filter to see if it helps

OP
OP
NickyReefs

NickyReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having the same issues. I have done blackouts and even used chemiclean but it keeps coming back. I think my problem is not enough filtering. I have a 72 bowfront with only an emperor 400 and a skimmer. Thinking about getting a Tidal filter to see if it helps
You need to test your parameters... it's critical to diagnosing a problem... if your levels are the same as mine then I'd say your in the same boat... but if your levels are diffrent u can have something totally diffrent even though looking similar. At this point I'm guessing that my phosphate issue is being caused by this cyano... it's growing and depleting my available phosphates... I'm going to spend the next 10 days following what Mr. VETTE says. And I will post and update to see if it helps.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP, for what's its worth I am having an identical situation in my tank also. Our numbers and reactive solution attempts are very similar as well. I honestly just see this as another evolution in my 9 month old tanks maturity and as long as I keep numbers Stabil eventually the coralline will take over and force this algae out. Its only on my sandbed and in less then 50% of the sand. only the sand that gets light nothing in the shaded areas at all and nothing on the rocks.

OP
OP
NickyReefs

NickyReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP, for what's its worth I am having an identical situation in my tank also. Our numbers and reactive solution attempts are very similar as well. I honestly just see this as another evolution in my 9 month old tanks maturity and as long as I keep numbers Stabil eventually the coralline will take over and force this algae out. Its only on my sandbed and in less then 50% of the sand. only the sand that gets light nothing in the shaded areas at all and nothing on the rocks.
Appreciate the reply! Love to hear that I'm not the only one hahaha, I guess mysery does love company hah! I have a very negative space reef so my problematic bacteria seems to really thick around the areas of most light and nothing in the small amount of non lit areas. What concerns me is the rapid growth. The growth is so agressive that it's growing ontop of any algea that's on my tank... feeling like it's just easly out competing the competition for available nutrients. I'm in it to win it hahah so I'm sure this will be an interesting battle. But for all that know this hobby it's a Rollercoaster hah! I'm 1000% positive it's because my tank has still alot of maturing to do but would love to just help my lil slice of the ocean in the right direction for balance.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the reply! Love to hear that I'm not the only one hahaha, I guess mysery does love company hah! I have a very negative space reef so my problematic bacteria seems to really thick around the areas of most light and nothing in the small amount of non lit areas. What concerns me is the rapid growth. The growth is so agressive that it's growing ontop of any algea that's on my tank... feeling like it's just easly out competing the competition for available nutrients. I'm in it to win it hahah so I'm sure this will be an interesting battle. But for all that know this hobby it's a Rollercoaster hah! I'm 1000% positive it's because my tank has still alot of maturing to do but would love to just help my ks andlil slice of the ocean in the right direction for balance.
I had a reef guy come out that services tanks and he seemed to think it was no big deal at all. He said just cut lights back to 8 hours which I have started to try obviously without whites. I also recently set up a fuge so I am hoping that will give some natural balance to things in the ecosystem, as long as its not covering and smothering your corals you will get past it soon if you keep your numbers good. I am trying Dt. tims probiotics once a week also.

Hectorg214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what my tank currently looks like. Did a 20 gallon water change just a couple of days ago. Like I said, tried Chemiclean and blackouts.

Attachments

• PXL_20211227_004016728.jpg
    PXL_20211227_004016728.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 53
  • PXL_20211227_004011608.jpg
    PXL_20211227_004011608.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 50
  • PXL_20211227_004005107.jpg
    PXL_20211227_004005107.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 52
  • PXL_20211227_003957701.jpg
    PXL_20211227_003957701.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 53
OP
OP
NickyReefs

NickyReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treat it as you would dino as it resonds to light. No need for backout but a light reduction, adding liquid bacteria during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons for up to 10 days
So since Christmas day I've had my lights on 1/2 the amount of time and only 50% intensity, and have been dosing bacteria cleaning socks daily and this stuff has only got extremely worse.. any suggestions?

OP
OP
NickyReefs

NickyReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daily checking all parameters and they are still exactly the same. Can this be something besides cyano? Or dinos? Because all methods for both have not put a single dent in this stuff.

Bombschell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks just like the stuff I had and the I did a 5 day blackout (left only like 10% blue for the corals) and dosed the peroxide at night and seachem stability in the morning. That slimy stuff is 98% gone. There is still some lingering, but it is dwindling slowly. I still might lose a hammer corral though.

OP
OP
NickyReefs

NickyReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks just like the stuff I had and the I did a 5 day blackout (left only like 10% blue for the corals) and dosed the peroxide at night and seachem stability in the morning. That slimy stuff is 98% gone. There is still some lingering, but it is dwindling slowly. I still might lose a hammer corral though.
I've done all but peroxide... any suggestions on how to dose? And how much? System with sump is 130gallons. But with sand and rock it must be around 100g best guess. This stuff is wicked and all cyano/dinos treatments don't do a dang thing.

Bombschell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you went back and read one of Vetteguy's first posts on this thread he laid it out. Basically turn your lights way down no whites black out if you can. I had some corals that would not make a 5 day full black out so I ran blues only at 10%, every night for 5 nights dosed 1.5ml per 10 gal of 3% peroxide (i have a 13.5 gal tank so i just went with the 1.5ml), every morning doesed 10ml of seachem stability (bacter 7, or several others have been suggested. ) washed filter media every night before doing the peroxide. I did a 10% water change day 1 and about 20% on day 6. Then started ramping the lights up about 10% a day.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So since Christmas day I've had my lights on 1/2 the amount of time and only 50% intensity, and have been dosing bacteria cleaning socks daily and this stuff has only got extremely worse.. any suggestions?
Yes- Lights MUST be Off. 5-7 day blackout is imperitive. Also, must add 3% hydrogen Peroxide at 1.5ml per 10 gallons at night.

OP
OP
NickyReefs

NickyReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you went back and read one of Vetteguy's first posts on this thread he laid it out. Basically turn your lights way down no whites black out if you can. I had some corals that would not make a 5 day full black out so I ran blues only at 10%, every night for 5 nights dosed 1.5ml per 10 gal of 3% peroxide (i have a 13.5 gal tank so i just went with the 1.5ml), every morning doesed 10ml of seachem stability (bacter 7, or several others have been suggested. ) washed filter media every night before doing the peroxide. I did a 10% water change day 1 and about 20% on day 6. Then started ramping the lights up about 10% a day.
I've followed what he recommended to no avail. Now he's telling me I need another blackout with peroxide

OP
OP
NickyReefs

NickyReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes- Lights MUST be Off. 5-7 day blackout is imperitive. Also, must add 3% hydrogen Peroxide at 1.5ml per 10 gallons at night.

I'm not sure I could do another blackout as whatever small amount of corals i have are not doing well since the first one. If I dose the peroxide do I still run UV and skimmer?

Bombschell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done all but peroxide... any suggestions on how to dose? And how much? System with sump is 130gallons. But with sand and rock it must be around 100g best guess. This stuff is wicked and all cyano/dinos treatments don't do a dang thing.
a little quick math got me 19.5ml of peroxide per night.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm not sure I could do another blackout as whatever small amount of corals i have are not doing well since the first one. If I dose the peroxide do I still run UV and skimmer?
As mentioned , if coral, you Can run Blue at 5-10%, Flagellates love light and as long as provided, they will thrive.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 35.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back