Cyanobacteria persistence: Even with Low Phosphates and Nitrate

Mr. Azwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy,

I've been in the hobby for a long time, and have recently run into a cyanobacteria blooming issue that seems to persist. I know that cyano tends to thrive in phosphate and nitrate rich marine environments (or at least that is the information that is commonly touted), however the cyano seems to persist even when the PO4 level is less than 0.1 ppm and nitrate is even sub 5ppm level (both by Hanna test meters). Is there another parameter which I should be watching which would deliver the death bell for the cyano?

Doug

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have been dealing with cyano outbreaks on my sandbed and also have lower nutrients. It came after dinos and gha. It has been persisting for a couple months but I may have them under control now. 2 weeks ago I sucked it all off the sandbed (again) and started using Coral Snow and Cyano Clean by KZ. So far no new patches. I dont know what was causing it, but all my research said low flow and excess nutrients. My nutrients have been low for the entirety of my 15 month old tank. I also turned the flow up to the point my LPS was staying closed up. Still the cyano outbreaks came back. I think their is some other mechanism causing the outbreak in some cases.

CeeGee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand cyano exists in tanks that have a nitrate/phosphate imbalance. It gets all the nitrogen it needs from the atmosphere.

Dr. Tim states raise your Nitrates and it will disappear. I am currently fighting it as well. Tank is over 10 years old.

search for videos by Dr. Tim where he talks about it.

This info is subject to change next week when there is a new idea about what causes it. It is a bacteria so replace the bad bacteria with better bacteria that can outcompete it for what it needs.

Zerobytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand cyano exists in tanks that have a nitrate/phosphate imbalance. It gets all the nitrogen it needs from the atmosphere.

Dr. Tim states raise your Nitrates and it will disappear. I am currently fighting it as well. Tank is over 10 years old.

search for videos by Dr. Tim where he talks about it.

This info is subject to change next week when there is a new idea about what causes it. It is a bacteria so replace the bad bacteria with better bacteria that can outcompete it for what it needs.

i raised nitrates and punted on worrying about it as it was maddening. Literally within 2 weeks it was gone. Get patches now and then and my nitrates have always dropped When it happens. Not sure if coincidence or luck.

rmurken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stump remover can double as cyano remover. Who knew!

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red cyano just happens , even in low nutrient systems. I do see it when I feed more . I have used Chemiclean with great success. It seams I need to treat my aquarium once every couple years . But it works.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back