OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes rock and bacterial populated live sand can be sources also but this was not included as these are not a "transmission" source, these are possible initial introductions.
Yes once a tank gets cyanobacteria it will come and go during the cycles throughout the year based on tank diversity.
My goal was to eliminate it permanently from a system unless reintroduced.

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes rock and bacterial populated live sand can be sources also but this was not included as these are not a "transmission" source, these are possible initial introductions.
Yes once a tank gets cyanobacteria it will come and go during the cycles throughout the year based on tank diversity.
My goal was to eliminate it permanently from a system unless reintroduced.

I have thought of Cyanobacteria as an opportunistic infection and not really "transmission" from a single source. When conditions are ripe, the Cyanobacteria dominate/explode in their numbers, i.e., when the tanks ecosystem is unbalanced somehow, the Cyanobacteria opportunistically take advantage. I think they are probably part of most saltwater tanks ecosystem albeit typically in small enough numbers to be non-problematic.

Although I imagine that it is possible that a single transmission can lead to an outbreak, it just doesn't seem to biologically make sense. I think Cyanobacteria are likely sharing our tanks with many other bacteria. I believe bacteria enter our tanks in countless ways. I imagine that Cyanobacteria are routine inhabitants in our tanks and are in a delicate balance with other bacteria and inhabitants. In terms of fish, corals and inverts being the source of a single transmission, most reefers are always fiddling with the tank and adding or changing their coral and fish regularly. So if a coral, invert or fish were the most routine direct transmission of Cyanobacteria, I might expect a wealth of reports when a new coral, fish and invertebrate was added and a resultant outbreak occurred. Except for your recent report of cross-contamination, I am unaware of seeing or reading of such reports. So I can certainly imagine cyano being associated with fish, coral and inverts, I just don't think that one new livestock addition as being the source for a cyano outbreak. In terms of what tips the balance in favor of cyanos over other bacteria and allowing for an outbreak, I don't know specifically. I think reasonable stable parameters and biological diversity of a healthy prospering tank likely keep cyano undetectable in the majority of tanks.

Eliminating a bacteria completely is a remarkable goal. I would think Cyanobacteria are likely endemic to saltwater tanks given their role in oxygenating our planet and their presence in the oceans as are likely a myriad of other bacterial inhabitants. It would seem cyano most likely are a constant player among the many bacteria out there. Biologically, I think expecting a 100% kill may simply not be possible given the many micro environments available in a reef tank. But clearly, whether 100% kill or not, hydrogen peroxide treatment certainly has been remarkable in effectuating a treatment for an acute cyano outbreak.

bhbbhb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your video - I have confirmed its cyno. I am confused on the dosing. My calculation is 15ml based upon your suggestion. Does that mean I dose 15ml at one time and I do this every 12 hours ? So I would dose twice a day?
Thanks for your help
Bruce

maxim.dockx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the consequences for the beneficial bacteria when using your method?

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has absolutely zero change to benificial bacteria based on amonia testing

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after 14 days of dosing H2O2, the cyano I had seems to have went away for the most part. Still seems to be a little hanging around, but def less.

Owen O Reilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after 14 days of dosing H2O2, the cyano I had seems to have went away for the most part. Still seems to be a little hanging around, but def less.

I am the same, I still have a patch hanging on. I am concidering going for another week with H2O2. Unless i had a combination of Cyno and Spirulina.

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea if H2O2 can be used with a probiotic system like the Aquaforest System that consists of dosing probiotic bacteria and food for that bacteria?

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea if H2O2 can be used with a probiotic system like the Aquaforest System that consists of dosing probiotic bacteria and food for that bacteria?
I have not found any evidence that h2o2 is harmful to any of our good bacteria

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since H2o2 is not considered to be a dissolved organic compound - carbon,gfo and skimming should have no effect on the H2o2?
You are correct
Although through observation there is a reaction with GFO
It produces excelerated reduction of po4

filbie70

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best method I have found to avoid and eradicate is with mangroves in the refugium. Mist the leave regularly to allow the plant to excrete the salt and remove the dead leaves.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back