Cycle Question

fpotter15028

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok everyone. Sorry to probably post a recuring question. Ive looked through some of the previous threads for some answers. But didn't really see anything. So Im posting for the pros lol

Ok Im very new to this hobby and I'm starting from scratch. I my system is 116 gallon total with sum and display. I started with completely dry rock and sand and using RODI water. Salinity is 35 ppt.

Im attempting the Brightwell Dry Rock starter system and am currently on day 6. So my question is. I followed the instructions and tested my ammonia (2 ppm) on day one. now Im on day 6. My Nitrite is 0.25 ppm, Nitrate is 10 ppm. But my ammonia is still 2 ppm. How can the tank be starting to break it down, but still be the same level? Do I just continue on? or do you have any recomendations? Slightly confused and looking for direction.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one is easy: fall back on known and established submersion date times vs parameter concerns. The test kits you’re using may or may not be right, searches show, and that bottle bac isn’t as well tested as Dr Tims / biospira / Fritz, so you’d hedge up the number of days wait in response

And you’ll have an exact date you can begin.

the recommended formula for wait time finishing your cycle, given the additives, is wait fifteen days and it’s ready. Change water and begin on day fifteen of wait, you paid money to speed up the common 30 day cycle so this is no brave move it’s specific based on bac and feed you added.

it’s not about moving params up and down until you’re on test kits known to misread the least vs the most

we know by prior tracking that any reef can be fully cycled off merely providing fish feed, and no bottle bac at all and will cycle in 30 days. What you’ve added will be ready on day fifteen no matter what your tests say, you’d change water and begin. The way it works is feed you’re circulating over surfaces is hyper feeding bacteria and algae, nothing is starving it’s hyper feeding and building up. Your test kits have mislead thousands but a cycling chart sure has not.

additional claims sourcing: the ammonia line on any cycling chart. It’s done by day 15 we did that on purpose. It played a 100% role in assessing the specific start date for the reef, you could easily bring it to a reef convention on time etc.

only half a cycling chart is for params, the other half is for time. everyone has been trained on params hyper focus, ignore time

but you can solve equations using the known submersion dates, they clearly show, and the training is just to get us to buy bottle bac.

Last edited:

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok everyone. Sorry to probably post a recuring question. Ive looked through some of the previous threads for some answers. But didn't really see anything. So Im posting for the pros lol

Ok Im very new to this hobby and I'm starting from scratch. I my system is 116 gallon total with sum and display. I started with completely dry rock and sand and using RODI water. Salinity is 35 ppt.

Im attempting the Brightwell Dry Rock starter system and am currently on day 6. So my question is. I followed the instructions and tested my ammonia (2 ppm) on day one. now Im on day 6. My Nitrite is 0.25 ppm, Nitrate is 10 ppm. But my ammonia is still 2 ppm. How can the tank be starting to break it down, but still be the same level? Do I just continue on? or do you have any recomendations? Slightly confused and looking for direction.
It may have only just started to convert ammonia. You got plenty of circulation and rock / surface area?

OP
OP
F

fpotter15028

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one is easy: fall back on known and established submersion date times vs parameter concerns. The test kits you’re using may or may not be right, searches show, and that bottle bac isn’t as well tested as Dr Tims / biospira / Fritz, so you’d hedge up the number of days wait in response

And you’ll have an exact date you can begin.

the recommended formula for wait time finishing your cycle, given the additives, is wait fifteen days and it’s ready. Change water and begin on day fifteen of wait, you paid money to speed up the common 30 day cycle so this is no brave move it’s specific based on bac and feed you added.

it’s not about moving params up and down until you’re on test kits known to misread the least vs the most

we know by prior tracking that any reef can be fully cycled off merely providing fish feed, and no bottle bac at all and will cycle in 30 days. What you’ve added will be ready on day fifteen no matter what your tests say, you’d change water and begin. The way it works is feed you’re circulating over surfaces is hyper feeding bacteria and algae, nothing is starving it’s hyper feeding and building up. Your test kits have mislead thousands but a cycling chart sure has not.

additional claims sourcing: the ammonia line on any cycling chart. It’s done by day 15 we did that on purpose. It played a 100% role in assessing the specific start date for the reef, you could easily bring it to a reef convention on time etc.
Thank you. I am definetly not in any hurry. I mosly went with this kit for the bacter clean included. I kinda wanna try to minimize the so called "ugly" phase

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that low light/no light bringup phase I endorse it.

we specialize in naming exact start dates because its fun to use predictive patterning but waiting any degree longer than that certainly is no harm, its a boon to your benthic layers that may help suppress common early invasions. the fun part of knowing the exact start date is we didnt factor you ever having to buy another round of bac; you're all set and the clock is ticking. we removed the stall risk or the re purchase risk by focusing on the time aspect since we can clearly measure it.

were this biospira, the start date was a while back. this brand may be just as fast, its not as well-tested as the others

if this was a tuned seneye reading, your ammonia report would be different.

*we have ways to make your test kits work, it sounds evasive to just write them off totally agreed. there are ways to calibrate api Ammonia and make it work quite well. if you ever want to see the thread that names start dates for cycles its this one.

we open with a tank that seems stalled, but when the testing is calibrated, it isn't, and then its a full reef by the next week.

nitrite was certainly covered there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fpotter15028

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definetly doing the no lights. (Just ambiant room). I ordered a couple of clowns for the first inhabitant. But wont be picking them up until day 30 in the cycle. Do you suggest any ghost feeding after day 15?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after day fifteen it wont matter. we even have 3 year fallow studies on file with immediate ammonia control once testing started, nothing starves in cycling as these open topped tanks are food acquisition devices by design. what's on top of my mancave baseboards rn is what is feeding any cycle that the owner thought was underfed in some way; that daily accumulation goes right into the tank and its got carbon and some amino acids and all the mix needed for life. bacteria life

water attracts

Last edited:
Back