Cycle test ??’s

Dmat21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested nitrate today after 2 months of cycling and tested 0, if not dang close to zero.
Do I need to test Nitrite and/or ammonia at this point?
I started the cycle with microbacter 7 and 1 1/4 human white shrimp, Tested nitrate at 2mos=0, then I just added Dr. Tim’s one and only for the extra bacteria for my bare bottom

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your cycle was done on approximately day 14 of that arrangement. change water, begin reefing nice patience. your tests might not line up bc they're entry level among cycle test kits. seneye is not entry level...but we don't need it given this much time. at no point will any open-topped arrangement fail to cycle at sixty days, even if you added just water this whole time, it would still be equally cycled due to natural vectors.

Last edited:

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested nitrate today after 2 months of cycling and tested 0, if not dang close to zero.
Do I need to test Nitrite and/or ammonia at this point?
I started the cycle with microbacter 7 and 1 1/4 human white shrimp, Tested nitrate at 2mos=0, then I just added Dr. Tim’s one and only for the extra bacteria for my bare bottom
Oh yeah absolutely. For all we know there might be 8ppm ammonia, 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate and that means there had been no cycling going on for example.

Even if nitrate increased then decreased, well we still want to know if there are ammonia at least in the tank.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is no time in reefing that an open topped arrangement will fail to cycle in sixty days, and with entry level test kits you may not get an allowed start. it isn't accurate to state that the cycle wouldn't be complete

there's a fully unassisted water-only wait cycle done at sixty days. this one above was fed with bacteria that says ten days ready on the bottle.

that was 8 ppm sustained weeks, still cycled.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there isn't really an impact from waiting sixty more days or buying more bottle bac but consider this: how are they able to constantly arrange, for decades, entire marine conventions like macna coming up where hundreds of reefs skip cycle by Friday

in a world that's been pulling that off for decades, it is literally only forum cyclers that have stall problems its not a real world issue. you can either use what the sellers use to cycle, or use what the buyers use and wait longer and buy some things to help/

Last edited:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back