Cycling a tank without temperature control question

BDeVaney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I have been out of the hobby for a few years and just getting ready to get back in as we have bought a house and won't be moving each year. I have a 9-10 gallon rimless jbj tank that I would like to start cycling and get a couple basic pieces in it. Within the year I plan on upgrading and turning this into a qt for small fish/frags. While I work on a stand for this little tank I would like to just have it cycling in the garage with just sand, rock, and maybe some filter media then move it inside whenever it is ready. I do not have a chiller and the garage gets into the 90s at this time. I imagine the tank could get to be around the high 80s or 90 degrees. I understand that this can have an impact on the cycle but would this ruin it? Could it just take longer? Is it flat out just a bad idea?

Thanks for the input

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I have been out of the hobby for a few years and just getting ready to get back in as we have bought a house and won't be moving each year. I have a 9-10 gallon rimless jbj tank that I would like to start cycling and get a couple basic pieces in it. Within the year I plan on upgrading and turning this into a qt for small fish/frags. While I work on a stand for this little tank I would like to just have it cycling in the garage with just sand, rock, and maybe some filter media then move it inside whenever it is ready. I do not have a chiller and the garage gets into the 90s at this time. I imagine the tank could get to be around the high 80s or 90 degrees. I understand that this can have an impact on the cycle but would this ruin it? Could it just take longer? Is it flat out just a bad idea?

Thanks for the input
You should be fine cycling with those temperatures some corals even grow faster at those temperatures(tidal zone sps etc)
I cycle my rock outside in closed rubbermaid containers. Only noticed it take longer if the temperatures got too low. Ime anyway

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 156 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back