OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess its safe to say my tank is "cycled" If I add ammonia and process it in a day? Without worrying too much about the nitrite levels? Should I test Nitrates (salifert kit) to see where they are?
I dislike the term "cycled" but it should be safe for a smaller fish or two. In freshwater, nitrites are very dangerous. In saltwater, the chlorides block absorption of the nitrites so the fish are safe. You can test nitrates but don't read too much into the results. Most nitrate tests break down nitrates into nitrites and then perform a color change to read them. If you are showing nitrites it can cause a false high reading on nitrates.

mdd1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not in a rush to be honest. I'm QTing a few fish right now so it will be a month before I put any real live stock in the tank. Should I continue to just seed the tank with ammonia? I would hope over time the nitrites will drop.

mdd1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still waiting for my nitrites to go to zero. Basically been 4 weeks since I started the cycle. I read a few threads that said it took some people 8 weeks to complete this last part. Anyone have any similar experiences?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still waiting for my nitrites to go to zero. Basically been 4 weeks since I started the cycle. I read a few threads that said it took some people 8 weeks to complete this last part. Anyone have any similar experiences?
Its not uncommon. It's hard to say if it is false positives on the test or just an unbalance in bacteria populations. If your ammonia rapidly goes to 0ppm and you have increasing nitrates I wouldn't worry about the nitrites.

mdd1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea I been told to not does anymore ammonia. My nitrates were above 50. Just going to wait it out at this point. I don't think its false positives at this points since I used a few test kits.

cajunreef985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clutch Information!! You are appreciated!! ;Writing:cool:

mdd1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well to give everyone an update (for those who are in similar situations). My nitrite finally has started to bottom out as of yesterday. I got a reading of around .25PPM with the salifert nitrite kit. I started the cycle on December 1st so it take almost 6 weeks to get to this point. My chaeto seems to have grown as well and has reduced my nitrates from 50 down to around 15-20ppm. Just wanted to share for anyone who may experience something similar. Just have to be patient.

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it safe to add a clean up crew during the cycle? Started my cycle a week ago today. Ammonia is down to zero now but im going to dose more in the next couple days to bring it back up to 2ppm. Nitrites are still sky high and I havnt even started testing nitrates yet.
Just wondering if ammonia/nitrite levels or high nitrates during the cycle will harm snails/crabs/cleaner shrimp

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it safe to add a clean up crew during the cycle? Started my cycle a week ago today. Ammonia is down to zero now but im going to dose more in the next couple days to bring it back up to 2ppm. Nitrites are still sky high and I havnt even started testing nitrates yet.
Just wondering if ammonia/nitrite levels or high nitrates during the cycle will harm snails/crabs/cleaner shrimp
Most will be ok but I'm not sure that I would take the chance. Especially with the cleaner shrimp.

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dislike the term "cycled" but it should be safe for a smaller fish or two. In freshwater, nitrites are very dangerous. In saltwater, the chlorides block absorption of the nitrites so the fish are safe. You can test nitrates but don't read too much into the results. Most nitrate tests break down nitrates into nitrites and then perform a color change to read them. If you are showing nitrites it can cause a false high reading on nitrates.
Is this true for coral and inverts also? (Nitrites being safe for them)
I think im in the same boat here. I dosed some bio spira couple days ago and now I'm processing ammonia in a day but nitrites are still off the charts. This is day 11 of my 'cycle'
Would I be safe to add a small clean up crew, couple cleaner shrimp and a few corals? I wanted to get a round of coral and inverts in the tank and then im gonna let it sit fishless for 76 days while they go through a quarantine period.
If so should i do a water change first?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this true for coral and inverts also? (Nitrites being safe for them)
I think im in the same boat here. I dosed some bio spira couple days ago and now I'm processing ammonia in a day but nitrites are still off the charts. This is day 11 of my 'cycle'
Would I be safe to add a small clean up crew, couple cleaner shrimp and a few corals? I wanted to get a round of coral and inverts in the tank and then im gonna let it sit fishless for 76 days while they go through a quarantine period.
If so should i do a water change first?
My concern is less the nitrites and more with the nitrates. Some inverts don't tolerate rapid swings in nitrates very well.

You aren't still adding ammonia, are you? And what are you nitrates doing?

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern is less the nitrites and more with the nitrates. Some inverts don't tolerate rapid swings in nitrates very well.

You aren't still adding ammonia, are you? And what are you nitrates doing?
I added ammonia yesterday and this morning it was back to 0. I was planning to do another dose to make sure it continues to process it in a day but I won't once anything has been added to the tank.
I hadn't been testing nitrates much but I just tested it now and it was sky high, somewhere between the 80 and 160 mark on the api test kit.. guessing i should start doing water changes weekly to bring that down? And not add anything until its at a reasonable level?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added ammonia yesterday and this morning it was back to 0. I was planning to do another dose to make sure it continues to process it in a day but I won't once anything has been added to the tank.
I hadn't been testing nitrates much but I just tested it now and it was sky high, somewhere between the 80 and 160 mark on the api test kit.. guessing i should start doing water changes weekly to bring that down? And not add anything until its at a reasonable level?
Definitely stop adding ammonia!

Your nitrate reading wont be accurate. The nitrate test works by breaking nitrates down into nitrites and then measuring them. So, it won't be accurate without zero nitrites. However, the fact it is that high tells me you have added a bunch of ammonia.

You will want to do a large water change to get an immediate drop. Remember, one 20g water change is much more effective than doing 4 water changes of 5 gallons. Then wait until your nitrites get close to zero. Once you get there we can figure out where you are at.

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely stop adding ammonia!

Your nitrate reading wont be accurate. The nitrate test works by breaking nitrates down into nitrites and then measuring them. So, it won't be accurate without zero nitrites. However, the fact it is that high tells me you have added a bunch of ammonia.

You will want to do a large water change to get an immediate drop. Remember, one 20g water change is much more effective than doing 4 water changes of 5 gallons. Then wait until your nitrites get close to zero. Once you get there we can figure out where you are at.
I don't feel like I've added that much ammonia. I've only dosed a total of 3 times to bring it up to about 2ppm. First time was the start of the cycle and it took a week to process to 0. Then added bio spira, dosed 2 days in a row and was zero in 24 hours both times.

Its a 150 gallon tank and I'm only able to do about a 30 gallon change at a time. How often to u suggest i do them?

So your saying not to add any livestock until nitrates are down and nitrites are closer to 0?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't feel like I've added that much ammonia. I've only dosed a total of 3 times to bring it up to about 2ppm. First time was the start of the cycle and it took a week to process to 0. Then added bio spira, dosed 2 days in a row and was zero in 24 hours both times.

Its a 150 gallon tank and I'm only able to do about a 30 gallon change at a time. How often to u suggest i do them?

So your saying not to add any livestock until nitrates are down and nitrites are closer to 0?
Ok, it is harder with a large system. Just because it is such a challenge, I'd hold off for another day or 2 prior to doing a water change. For a small system water changes are a quick, easy, and cheap reset. Not so much for a larger system.

I'd like to see your nitrites at least on the chart and your nitrates under 60ppm prior to adding snails/hermit crabs. I wouldn't add anything else until nitrites were 0ppm and nitrates under 30ppm. Even many corals won't respond well to high nitrates unless the changes are done gradually.

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, it is harder with a large system. Just because it is such a challenge, I'd hold off for another day or 2 prior to doing a water change. For a small system water changes are a quick, easy, and cheap reset. Not so much for a larger system.

I'd like to see your nitrites at least on the chart and your nitrates under 60ppm prior to adding snails/hermit crabs. I wouldn't add anything else until nitrites were 0ppm and nitrates under 30ppm. Even many corals won't respond well to high nitrates unless the changes are done gradually.
Sounds good. I'll do a water change in a couple days and then once a week till things are more in order?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. I'll do a water change in a couple days and then once a week till things are more in order?
I doubt it will even take that long, but it sounds like a good plan.

LagunaGlide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit confused here. First the 411. 240Gal with about 50gallons or so of water in sump. Live rock has been in the sump with heat and circulation since late December. Before adding sand to system ammonia was 0, Nitrites Zero, and Nitrates around 5 ppm. At one point it had low levels of ammonia and nitrites.

In the past week I have done my scape, so rock moved from sump to DT, and I added sand yesterday. Once I added the sand I also added some Prime and Dr. Tims One and Only. I tested ammonia before bed and found it to be around .5ppm. I only tested ammonia at that time. This morning I tested for Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates and readings were as follow, Ammonia .25ppm, Trites 0, Trates around 50ppm.
I am unfortunately currently using and API kit. Trates are definitely between 40 and 80. I assume my system is dealing with the ammonia just fine, but why am I not seeing any nitrites? Once my ammonia goes back to 0ppm do I do a water change regardless of never seeing nitrites?

Last curious question and kind of a sidebar. Rather than changing water could I now add Chaeto and the amount of Nitrates in the system now would be a good start up nutrient? Or best to change it and be done with it?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am unfortunately currently using and API kit.
For cycling, the API kit is just fine and what I normally recommend. No reason to spend more for a test kit that will get used for a few weeks unless you are going to set up a few tanks.

Just keep in mind that the ammonia test may read 0.25ppm even if actually ammonia is 0ppm and that the nitrate test will not be accurate if you have any nitrites.

why am I not seeing any nitrites?
Most likely they are either being processed at a rate faster than they are being generated or you have a nice population of Nitrospira bacteria that convert ammonia directly to nitrate. Using Dr Tims, either is possible.

do I do a water change regardless of never seeing nitrites?
Not a requirement. As long as you won't be adding sensitive inverts your nitrates are just fine. Nitrites are not important in a marine system.

Rather than changing water could I now add Chaeto and the amount of Nitrates in the system now would be a good start up nutrient?
I actually recommend adding chaeto (or other macro algae) prior to adding fish but after the tank is cycled. The biggest benefit is that it will process ammonia directly just like your now cycled rock. It may not do much to reduce nitrates initially since you may be PO4 limited. If you do have enough PO4 in your system this is very cost effective compared to doing a large water change for a system your size.

Just remember, no starfish, urchins, or anemone's until you get your nitrates stable. They don't necessarily need to be low, just stable.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back