Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone i'm after some knowledge please my tank Spec Below:
Red Sea Reefer 525XL
4 X Coral Moon Box Led
Bubble Magus G7 Skimmer
Jebao DCQ-5000 Return Pump
50kg Live Rock (30kg from my old tank which was still running that has now been transfered)
New Dry Sand
Jebao CP-40 Wave Maker
Jebao SW-4 Wave Makers x2
TMC Vecton 600 UV
TMR75 Phosban Reactor
Carbon Reactor
5KG Siporax in sump
Seneye Reef

Readings from today tank is 18 Days old i used ATM Colony to give it a boost
Tempreture = 25.5
PH = 8.28
Ammonia = 0.005
Nitrite = 0.50
Nitrate = 10.0
Phosphate = 0.10
Salinity = 1.025
Alkalinity = 8.2DKH
Calcium = 480
Silicate = 0.40

I have brown diatoms on sand bed and some of the rocks when will i know when the cycle is complete?
I do have another large bottle of ATM Colony as well
Odds are pretty good that it is ready for fish. I find the best way to check is to add either pure ammonia or ammonia chloride to dose ammonia up to 2ppm. If it can drop to 0ppm (or near 0ppm) in 24 hours you are ready to start adding fish.

Radco2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odds are pretty good that it is ready for fish. I find the best way to check is to add either pure ammonia or ammonia chloride to dose ammonia up to 2ppm. If it can drop to 0ppm (or near 0ppm) in 24 hours you are ready to start adding fish.

Great stuff thank you would you hold back on a water change

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great stuff thank you would you hold back on a water change
I wouldn't do a water change. Nitrates are still very low so I don't see any reason to put in the time and effort of performing one.

U

User1

View Badges
This is a dumb question but since it has been over 18 years since I last cycled a new tank using dry rock....once parameters align up do we re-add ammonia to verify the cycle? For example my tank is on day 30 of the cycle using nothing but ammonia added by me - fishless. This morning my tests show:

Ammonia 0 (have been 2/25)
Nitrite 0.05 - 0.1
Nitrate 10 - 20

I don't believe nitrites are 0 but they could be thus me using the next range. I have a 40 breeder I'll be moving once lighting is finished and the cycle is verified later in the month. I wasn't sure if I needed to dose another 2 mg/L of ammonia to see if it goes to 0 in 24 hours. I'm not feeding, nor lights on greater than 10 - 15 minutes (testing), and nothing alive is in there fish or coral wise. I wasn't going to do anything until later in the week firing up skimmer and lights full time to get the diatoms and algae blooms started then add a cleanup crew.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a dumb question but since it has been over 18 years since I last cycled a new tank using dry rock....once parameters align up do we re-add ammonia to verify the cycle? For example my tank is on day 30 of the cycle using nothing but ammonia added by me - fishless. This morning my tests show:

Ammonia 0 (have been 2/25)
Nitrite 0.05 - 0.1
Nitrate 10 - 20

I don't believe nitrites are 0 but they could be thus me using the next range. I have a 40 breeder I'll be moving once lighting is finished and the cycle is verified later in the month. I wasn't sure if I needed to dose another 2 mg/L of ammonia to see if it goes to 0 in 24 hours. I'm not feeding, nor lights on greater than 10 - 15 minutes (testing), and nothing alive is in there fish or coral wise. I wasn't going to do anything until later in the week firing up skimmer and lights full time to get the diatoms and algae blooms started then add a cleanup crew.
I recommend doing a confirmation test by adding another 2ppm and letting it process but it isn't necessary in your case. I only consider it a must if people are trying to speed cycle their systems and want to add fish in a week by using a bottled bacteria product.

U

User1

View Badges
I recommend doing a confirmation test by adding another 2ppm and letting it process but it isn't necessary in your case. I only consider it a must if people are trying to speed cycle their systems and want to add fish in a week by using a bottled bacteria product.

@Brew12 Thanks, that is what I ended up doing. I did another dose based on my original, waited about an hour or so, then tested the water. Just about 2ppm which is what I wanted. I'll test tomorrow around the same time and see if it is back to 0. That is the hope anyway and I'm thinking it will reach it easy. If that is good and Nitrites are in check then I'll finish up the canopy and lights and plan a move. Only concern I have, which is probably minor, is that I'll be moving some fish to a larger environment which the rock is bare. I'll move over the live rock and corals but I'm thinking they may have a big sense of what the heck happened, over. Then again, maybe not...

In any case, thanks :)

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 Thanks, that is what I ended up doing. I did another dose based on my original, waited about an hour or so, then tested the water. Just about 2ppm which is what I wanted. I'll test tomorrow around the same time and see if it is back to 0. That is the hope anyway and I'm thinking it will reach it easy. If that is good and Nitrites are in check then I'll finish up the canopy and lights and plan a move. Only concern I have, which is probably minor, is that I'll be moving some fish to a larger environment which the rock is bare. I'll move over the live rock and corals but I'm thinking they may have a big sense of what the heck happened, over. Then again, maybe not...

In any case, thanks :)
Glad to help.

And if you move over the live rock you should be just fine as far as the fish go. Coral can be a little touchy with any tank move. Back in November I pulled the live rock out of my 120g system and tore it down. I set up my 187g system, filled it with new sand, water and put a little more than 1/2 the old live rock in it along with all the fish. The entire process was done in 2 days. Never saw an ammonia spike.

BellaCoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @Brew12 I just started up my tank two days ago and reading this was a big help with loads of information I can plan for coming in the future. If you have any good Article to read for new tank owners to read up on please link. All information is useful!

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

dowsetts101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Brew12 not sure if I’m tapping wrong but the link you posted for acclimation goes to a thread called “So whats the secret to keeping yumas and rics?”

I’ve got sausage fingers but generally can tap a link ok!!! :)
That is kinda crazy! It works fine for me. :confused:

BellaCoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Popped righjt up. I took notes on all of this stuff haha

Somuchflo99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4AB742C7-551D-4FC5-B828-C48915D0E15D.jpeg
New 28 gal nanotube cycling very well 10 days into it with live sand and rock from yours truly @YourReef

U

User1

View Badges
Looks like I can process the ammonia. On 3/11 I was reading 0 ammonia has I noted above. Added 20 ml, tested a couple hours later, ammonia is back at 2. So far so good. Next day I tested a little less than 24 hours after adding the ammonia and it read 0.2. So it was processing like we would expect. I forgot to test later that day but tested a few minutes ago and ammonia is 0. However, nitrites shot up to 1 - they reported .05 on the 11th. So I'm guessing that is what is expected with spikes. Ammonia -> convert to Nitrate (spike) -> then Nitrate(?)? At least that is what I thought should happen.

In any case looks like it processed the ammonia which is what I was looking for.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I can process the ammonia. On 3/11 I was reading 0 ammonia has I noted above. Added 20 ml, tested a couple hours later, ammonia is back at 2. So far so good. Next day I tested a little less than 24 hours after adding the ammonia and it read 0.2. So it was processing like we would expect. I forgot to test later that day but tested a few minutes ago and ammonia is 0. However, nitrites shot up to 1 - they reported .05 on the 11th. So I'm guessing that is what is expected with spikes. Ammonia -> convert to Nitrate (spike) -> then Nitrate(?)? At least that is what I thought should happen.

In any case looks like it processed the ammonia which is what I was looking for.
Yup, that is exactly what you are looking for assuming it is a typo and the first nitrate is actually nitrite. Looks you are ready to go!

U

User1

View Badges
Yup, that is exactly what you are looking for assuming it is a typo and the first nitrate is actually nitrite. Looks you are ready to go!

It is - typo :)

Still plenty to do with getting canopy finished for lighting and bringing skimmer online. Minor stuff but getting there. Thanks for confirmation. Like I noted it has been a while since going traditional cycle. Although this was a bit quicker it seemed since dosing with ammonia rather than the shrimp. Still will be interesting to see how the next phase of diatom and algae form over the bare rock.

Thanks again :) Have a great evening.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol...must be my sausages!!! I’ll hunt it down somehow!!!

c5d049791bc7797ed12ba4fe77ee792b.jpg
I just used the app to look and I see the same thing there that you do. I have no idea what to do about that. :confused:

Here is a screen shot of my original post as seen on a browser.
upload_2018-3-14_7-3-10.png

Maybe a #mod can help?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back