Cycling an Aquarium

Jobet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, first of all, thanks for taking the time and effort to educate the masses with this post. Im new to the hobby and without all the forums and YouTube channels, I certainly wouldnt have the nerve to pull the trigger on this endeavour. However, here i am about to give it a go. My pukani dry rock came in today. This might be a stupid question but i dont care, i rather ask and hope that someone will help clear this up for me.
When setting up a brand new tank, If I cure my rock in a container (in my garage), is there any point (is it necessary) to cycle the water in the DT once Ive added my cured rock to the tank and start filling the tank with water. I'm assuming all I have to do at this point is to make sure my water paramaters look good. (yes,I'll be using water filtered with an RO/DI) Am i correct in saying this?
Also, my intention was to use tropic eden dry aragonite substrate (or something comparable because its hard to find) as i have read some good reviews on it. Should I include this substrate with the rock during the curing cycle?
As far as curing the rock, i think i have a good understanding on executing it. Its just the timeline with filling the tank and whether or not i need to execute a second nitrogen cycle on the display thank. I dont see the logic in doing this but i just want to do everything the best way possible. Im not in a terrible rush. Just want the peace of mind knowing that i did everything as correctly as reasonably possible.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, first of all, thanks for taking the time and effort to educate the masses with this post. Im new to the hobby and without all the forums and YouTube channels, I certainly wouldnt have the nerve to pull the trigger on this endeavour. However, here i am about to give it a go. My pukani dry rock came in today. This might be a stupid question but i dont care, i rather ask and hope that someone will help clear this up for me.
When setting up a brand new tank, If I cure my rock in a container (in my garage), is there any point (is it necessary) to cycle the water in the DT once Ive added my cured rock to the tank and start filling the tank with water. I'm assuming all I have to do at this point is to make sure my water paramaters look good. (yes,I'll be using water filtered with an RO/DI) Am i correct in saying this?
Also, my intention was to use tropic eden dry aragonite substrate (or something comparable because its hard to find) as i have read some good reviews on it. Should I include this substrate with the rock during the curing cycle?
As far as curing the rock, i think i have a good understanding on executing it. Its just the timeline with filling the tank and whether or not i need to execute a second nitrogen cycle on the display thank. I dont see the logic in doing this but i just want to do everything the best way possible. Im not in a terrible rush. Just want the peace of mind knowing that i did everything as correctly as reasonably possible.
The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked and results in dead fish.

As long as you cure the rock in a manner that allows it to develop nitrifying bacteria, you should be fine only cycling it once. Just don't leave it out of water more than a few hours when transferring it from the garage to the DT.

Some dry rock is too clean on its own to release nutrients when it is soaked in heated, circulating, water. If you don't see ammonia/nitrite/nitrates you can add pure ammonia, fish food, a raw shrimp or some other ammonia source to cycle the rock out in the garage.

And watch your phosphates with that rock. Some seems to come in just fine, others tend to leach phosphates.

And welcome to the hobby, please keep asking those questions!

Jobet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked and results in dead fish.

As long as you cure the rock in a manner that allows it to develop nitrifying bacteria, you should be fine only cycling it once. Just don't leave it out of water more than a few hours when transferring it from the garage to the DT.

Some dry rock is too clean on its own to release nutrients when it is soaked in heated, circulating, water. If you don't see ammonia/nitrite/nitrates you can add pure ammonia, fish food, a raw shrimp or some other ammonia source to cycle the rock out in the garage.

And watch your phosphates with that rock. Some seems to come in just fine, others tend to leach phosphates.

And welcome to the hobby, please keep asking those questions!
THANKS

Steezy B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question regarding my cycle... I filled tank 3/31 and the tank can only process 1.5ppm in a 24 hour period. It's been this way for a week and a half, is it possible for the cycle to stall this late into it?

Steezy B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible for a cycle to stall 4 weeks into it? I'm on day 34 and can process 1.5ppm ammonia in a 24 hour period. It's been this way for a week. I used Dr. Tims bacteria to help seed the tank.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible for a cycle to stall 4 weeks into it? I'm on day 34 and can process 1.5ppm ammonia in a 24 hour period. It's been this way for a week. I used Dr. Tims bacteria to help seed the tank.
At one point, I wouldn't have thought so. I am beginning to think that tanks set up with very clean dry rock and sand may stall for lack of trace nutrients the bacteria need. Even bacteria need some PO4 as an example and if the bacteria consumed all that was available in the tank already it may keep them reproducing. If you can process 1.5ppm in 24 hours, and it is anything but a tiny system, I would start slowly stocking it.

Steezy B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At one point, I wouldn't have thought so. I am beginning to think that tanks set up with very clean dry rock and sand may stall for lack of trace nutrients the bacteria need. Even bacteria need some PO4 as an example and if the bacteria consumed all that was available in the tank already it may keep them reproducing. If you can process 1.5ppm in 24 hours, and it is anything but a tiny system, I would start slowly stocking it.
I have also been reading about that, mainly in the recent live rock worth the risk? thread. I've been running my light (AI Prime HD) for a week hoping I can get some algae growing which would give me a reason to buy clean up crew. I felt like snails and hermits would introduce some of those helpful organisms. And yea, its a Nuvo 10 which is about 7-8 gallons. Should I still try to stock it?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also been reading about that, mainly in the recent live rock worth the risk? thread. I've been running my light (AI Prime HD) for a week hoping I can get some algae growing which would give me a reason to buy clean up crew. I felt like snails and hermits would introduce some of those helpful organisms. And yea, its a Nuvo 10 which is about 7-8 gallons. Should I still try to stock it?
Do you still have some Dr Tims left? If so, I would put a bunch more in the tank when you add a fish. But yes, it should be fine to stock. You can add snails and hermits now too, you just need to feed them something like sinking algae wafers.

Stepheng101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im going on a 6 week trip starting jun 1st, my tank is still cycling but will i need someone to ghost feed it so there is a source of ammonia for bacteria to eat? I poured in a bottle of bio spira today.

MSOEME2009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all you want to do is ghost feed, I'd get an auto-feeder and put in the smallest amount. Probably doesn't even need to be every day depending on the size. I'd also recommend blacking the tank out so you don't come home to a super high nitrate tank with algae on everything.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im going on a 6 week trip starting jun 1st, my tank is still cycling but will i need someone to ghost feed it so there is a source of ammonia for bacteria to eat? I poured in a bottle of bio spira today.
I would just throw in a large pinch of flake or pellets and let it break down while you are gone. That should be enough.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a whole lot . If the bacteria has been established the only thing needed is water. It can live for months with out extra food. The only reason to feed it is if you want a bigger colony.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much would you say? I have a 40 gal
Maybe a 1/2 tablespoon.
Not a whole lot . If the bacteria has been established the only thing needed is water. It can live for months with out extra food. The only reason to feed it is if you want a bigger colony.

Yup, the only reason to add food is to get the bacteria reproducing.

Rivus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in a similar situation. 10 days into the cycling, live sand, dry rock, Dr Tims, 45 gal RS Max E170. Ammonia is 1ppm, nitrites >1, pH 8.4, lights off, only the power head running. Going on a week vacation, so it will have to do it's thing without me watching. Probably a good thing!

dowsetts101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Brew, having lurked around here for a while and read your original post here and others since, I suspect I know what your advice will be, but it’ll be good to get your thoughts.

I have been building my tank over the last year or so and finally started to cycle it on 3rd May. DT is around 320 litres, and sump another 80 or so, total volume around 400 litres.

I started my cycle with powdered Ammonium Chloride, of unknown concentration. I added around 2 teaspoons (I estimate 10 grams???).

Needless to say my ammonia went off the chart. I read a few posts and saw some that suggested massive water change but I held off.

I’ve been monitoring with my new Seneye, and the free ammonia peaked at 0.358 ppm but over the last 12 days is now down to 0.012.

e8b993ab96b03b3f57516a3f00daa3ac.jpg

I tested tonight with my Red Sea Test Kit and my parameters are:
SG 1.024
KH 7 dKH
pH 8.2
NO3 200 (was 50 on normal test so redid a high range by diluting 1:4)
NO2 0.75
NH4/NH4 0.1

Clearly my nitrates and nitrites are waaay too high, but should I look at bringing them down now?

I’m in no rush for the cycle to complete (just setup my QT so am quite a way from fish) so wondered whether I should look at dosing some more Ammonium Chloride to bring the level back up again and deal with the nitrate and nitrites after a few more cycles or deal with it now?

When I actually saw the high levels I got initially I wondered whether the cycle would stall but with the presence of so much nitrate/nitrite something is obviously working!!!

What do you think?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Brew, having lurked around here for a while and read your original post here and others since, I suspect I know what your advice will be, but it’ll be good to get your thoughts.

I have been building my tank over the last year or so and finally started to cycle it on 3rd May. DT is around 320 litres, and sump another 80 or so, total volume around 400 litres.

I started my cycle with powdered Ammonium Chloride, of unknown concentration. I added around 2 teaspoons (I estimate 10 grams???).

Needless to say my ammonia went off the chart. I read a few posts and saw some that suggested massive water change but I held off.

I’ve been monitoring with my new Seneye, and the free ammonia peaked at 0.358 ppm but over the last 12 days is now down to 0.012.

e8b993ab96b03b3f57516a3f00daa3ac.jpg

I tested tonight with my Red Sea Test Kit and my parameters are:
SG 1.024
KH 7 dKH
pH 8.2
NO3 200 (was 50 on normal test so redid a high range by diluting 1:4)
NO2 0.75
NH4/NH4 0.1

Clearly my nitrates and nitrites are waaay too high, but should I look at bringing them down now?

I’m in no rush for the cycle to complete (just setup my QT so am quite a way from fish) so wondered whether I should look at dosing some more Ammonium Chloride to bring the level back up again and deal with the nitrate and nitrites after a few more cycles or deal with it now?

When I actually saw the high levels I got initially I wondered whether the cycle would stall but with the presence of so much nitrate/nitrite something is obviously working!!!

What do you think?

I wouldn’t add more ammonia unless you plan on adding a large amount of fish at once. With nitrates that high your system should be fine. I would bring your NO3 below 50ppm before adding anything.

snwmnky007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m looking for thoughts. I had the dry rock curing from April 13- April 30, did on full water change and one 30%

On April 30th put the rock in tank with new water, added live rock rubble to the fuge.

Added live sand May 5th and started adding ammonia 1ppm every other day for 6 days.

Never saw ammonia stick around for more than 36 hours. Nitrates did jump to 10ppm but are now 0-5 and no nitrites.

I added a couple Hermit crabs and an emerald crab from local guys and chaeto on May 10 and a turbo snail, pj cardinal, and one cromis on May 12th. I have been feeding on shrimp ball each day and still all levels are staying constant.

Low ammonia if any, 0 nitrites, 0-5 nitrates.

Everything looks happy and eats well.

Should I wait before I move the fish from my other tank, a ocellaris, a blue tang, and a sail fin blennie?

Rivus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 3 wks in, Ammonia and Nitrites were 0 today, with a trace of diatoms showing. I dosed back to 2ppm Ammonium. If they're back down tomorrow I should be ready for a CUC? Would this be a good time to turn the lights on to get some food growing for them?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back