Cycling an Aquarium

One of the earliest topics a new aquarium hobbyist needs to learn is how to properly cycle their aquarium. There is a ton of information on this...
  1. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

I just pulled my Curve 7 out after fighting it for a year. Replaced it with a Deltec just 3 days ago. Had it dialed in better in 5 minutes than I ever was able to get my BM working.

2. LeonThePeon

LeonThePeon Well-Known Member

Not sure if the is the place for the question - but in regards to cycling a QT/observation tank that I was going to keep running - I use seeded sponge filters, some bio media, and DT water to help cycle the QT tank - and while it's running and I'm doing the water changes - do I want to squeeze out the sponge in the tank water?

I do and there a good amount of brown that comes out. I read about ammonia factories and worry the sponge is a growing source of ammonia if not cleaned out.

Or am I just making my life harder by restarting whatever good stuff I had in that sponge?

3. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Article Contributor

I doubt it matters one way or the other, but squeezing it to remove crud is fine. :)

LeonThePeon and Brew12 like this.
  4. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

I squeeze mine out every few days under warm tap water. Never caused a problem. The bacteria will stick to the sponge and won't rinse out. As long as you don't dry them out, cook them, or freeze them you should be good.

LeonThePeon likes this.
  5. mdd1986

mdd1986 Member

When I was breeding cichlids I always used sponge filters in my grow out tanks. I usually would give them a few squeezes under tepid tap water every week or so to get rid of all the crap stored in them. After a while they get too clogged to work properly if you don't rinse them out. If you use tepid water its fine. They actually work really well once they are seeded with enough bacteria.

Another note tank still cloudy and the skimmer doesn't seem to be pulling out much. Ammonia down to 0-.25 but nitirite still 1PPM or so. Hopefully tonight they will both zero out and I can add more ammonia. Still worried about the tank being cloudy.

Side note I also add a tank thread here if anyone interested: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/r...n-setup-with-diy-plc-based-controller.342127/

6. LeonThePeon

LeonThePeon Well-Known Member

Was just thinking, and this might be more appropriate in the “disease” forum, but if I wanted to use live rock to help cycling along - but worry about any disease hitchhikers (i.e. ick) - is ick with a 72 day fallow the longest to wait for an “all clear” of anything that could be on the rocks before adding QT’d fishes? Are there other diseases to worry about that could last longer?

7. Brew12

As far as I am aware, 76 days will cover pretty much everything. There are some fish pathogens that going fallow will not rid from your tank but I don't know of any reason to go more than 76 days.
    And remember, that is 76 days from the time it is removed from a system with fish, not when it is put in your system.

LeonThePeon likes this.
  8. ericbost23

ericbost23 Well-Known Member

So I'm cycling another tank and my ammonia is almost 0 my no is 1.0 and no3 is 80 and I cannot for the life of me remember what to do to remedy this situation

9. Brew12

Wait a little longer. Odds are your nitrate isn't that high because you still have nitrite. Shouldn't be long now.

10. Crashjack

Crashjack Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

When I put in my tank, I was worried about overloading the circuit so added a second circuit. I have my two relay boxes for my controller split, each plugged into a GFCI outlet on each circuit. One box has my Gyre pumps for circulation, and the other has my main pump. They each also have a heater. That way, I still have water movement and a heater if I trip a GFCI outlet.

Brew12 likes this.
  11. ericbost23

ericbost23 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice

12. mdd1986

mdd1986 Member

Unfortunately the way I have my tank tank controlled with a DJ strip, I couldn't separate devices easily. I could have added a seperate DJ strip but it would have been alot more complex and difficult to program. Under normal situations having 2 duplex GFIs feeding different equipment is the way to go. Most of my issues with nuisance tripping GFIs were when I was using very large AC pumps (iwakis, reeflos, panworld etc). The large inrush curernt upon startup would cause all sort of issues.

Draft saved Draft deleted