Cycling Help Anyone??

mikus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I began my first tank cycle 6 days ago using aquavitro seeed and a shrimp. I Tested ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrates today and all are at zero. Does this mean that my tank has not even began to cycle yet since even Nitrate is at zero?

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria you added should be processing the ammonia and nitrites from the shrimp decaying, the nitrates probably aren't at a high enough concentration to show on your test kit yet. Give it more time and you should eventually see some nitrates

OP
OP
M

mikus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria you added should be processing the ammonia and nitrites from the shrimp decaying, the nitrates probably aren't at a high enough concentration to show on your test kit yet. Give it more time and you should eventually see some nitrates

Thanks for the response. So I should be looking for a rise in nitrate, and a reading of zero for ammonia and nitrite...tank cycled?

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response. So I should be looking for a rise in nitrate, and a reading of zero for ammonia and nitrite...tank cycled?
That's correct, the bacteria speeds the process up but it's still best to take it slow in this hobby

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it another few days and test again. While cycling a tank, take your time and good things happen. Rush and you will start a battle against your tank.

I started with Fritz bacteria, my tank cycled to a good point 7-12 days after I added the stuff. Let your rocks start growing algae and then get yourself a cleanup crew. A couple days after that go slow adding fish ( one at a time every few days). You do not want to crash your bio load amount all at once.

OP
OP
M

mikus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it another few days and test again. While cycling a tank, take your time and good things happen. Rush and you will start a battle against your tank.

I started with Fritz bacteria, my tank cycled to a good point 7-12 days after I added the stuff. Let your rocks start growing algae and then get yourself a cleanup crew. A couple days after that go slow adding fish ( one at a time every few days). You do not want to crash your bio load amount all at once.

Thanks for the info! I was planning on running cheato in my fuge w/ the kessil H380 to get a foothold on the algae growth as well as my main nutrient export. Lighting maybe an hour-2 to start and slowly extending the lighting period. IYO, what would you start with for clean up crew? I agree, that I would add this before any fish/bio load since the CUC would not need an additional food source.

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info! I was planning on running cheato in my fuge w/ the kessil H380 to get a foothold on the algae growth as well as my main nutrient export. Lighting maybe an hour-2 to start and slowly extending the lighting period. IYO, what would you start with for clean up crew? I agree, that I would add this before any fish/bio load since the CUC would not need an additional food source.
Depending on tank size (mine is a 30gal)... I went with 7 snails, and about 10 hermit crabs. My snails are a mix for what takes care of what better. Trochus, Ceriths, and Stomatella, and a Nazarene snail. I also have a shoot spine urchin, but wait on that for when you know you ha e enough food in the tank for it.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 142 74.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back