Cycling - how high should ammonia get?

BoatGeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started the 20g tank about 12 days ago with some live rock and sand, then doubled the live rock last Friday (6 days ago). The rock is fresh and uncured so I'm cycling the tank and curing the rock together. Nothing else in here just rock, sand and water.

I'm curious about this ammonia level. I understand it's a process and will drop once nitrites start kicking in, but is 2.0ppm< usual? Most posts I've read have people excited to get .025 or .50ppm spike so I wasn't sure. Is this something to worry about? Or should I just let it ride and do it's thing?

IMG_3136.JPG

IMG_3140.JPG

Alanc425

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let it ride out, die off from the live rock, bacteria levels growing/dying/balancing...all natural. expect a a high nitrate level at the end so just finish your cycle off with a big water change

OP
OP
BoatGeek

BoatGeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let it ride out, die off from the live rock, bacteria levels growing/dying/balancing...all natural. expect a a high nitrate level at the end so just finish your cycle off with a big water change
That's the answer I was hoping for, I just wasn't sure if the ammonia was unusually high.

Back