Cycling Issues

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you made a fish list? It's common that people go for clowns first but I think you should make a fish list and start with most docile to most aggressive/territorial. Clowns range from medium to high aggressive fish imo.
Also don't put any CuC for a week after introducing the fish. See if fish picks up food from sand n rocks. If they do your CuC won't have enough food to survive.

OP
OP
djm

djm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you made a fish list? It's common that people go for clowns first but I think you should make a fish list and start with most docile to most aggressive/territorial. Clowns range from medium to high aggressive fish imo.
Also don't put any CuC for a week after introducing the fish. See if fish picks up food from sand n rocks. If they do your CuC won't have enough food to survive.
As it’s only a 60litre (15 gallon) I was only going to go for 2 clowns and perhaps a goby. That’s the list I have in my mind, with the hermits and a cleaner shrimp at some point.

I read that it’s best to add 2 clowns at the same time as they can be territorial. What’s your thoughts on that, could I get one clown and then few weeks later add another as the tank matures or would you suggest adding the goby first?

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am not a big fan of clowns. they are not on any of my lists.
but in any case if you want 2 fish from same genus/shape its best to add them together. i think you can go with 2 dart fish and 2 cardinals with a small goby pair or a pipe fish. down the line you can get a captive bred mandarin trained to eat brine shrimp or blood worms. you can replace one of the pairs with 1 hawkfish as well. 15 gallon is small but cleaver rockwork can give each fish/pair their own areas. are you going for corals as well?

OP
OP
djm

djm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am not a big fan of clowns. they are not on any of my lists.
but in any case if you want 2 fish from same genus/shape its best to add them together. i think you can go with 2 dart fish and 2 cardinals with a small goby pair or a pipe fish. down the line you can get a captive bred mandarin trained to eat brine shrimp or blood worms. you can replace one of the pairs with 1 hawkfish as well. 15 gallon is small but cleaver rockwork can give each fish/pair their own areas. are you going for corals as well?
Thanks for the suggestions. I am drawn to the Banggai Cardinals. I do plan on going for corals after a few months, just some easy softies and LPS.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back