Cycling my 20g saltwater tank

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We should assume all fish have tomates dormant based on the stock level and filtration methods of chains and lfs I've had the cleanest of fish get since nasty stuff and it can all be prevented by a quick and easy method of qting before putting in display I used to think I was the exception to the rule until I got hit hard I've qted ever since and if u can qt I preach the dippy doo in a 5 gal bucket or tote

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gmeazy01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pair sleep above the skimmer intake and surf the area there because they can stay in that area without much movement needed. Then when lights come on they move back down to the right side of my tank and stay there for 12 hours.
My clownfish does that as well . in the morning he goes by the transparent glass then at night they go to the black part and just float they're so interesting to watch. I should have gotten two but I was afraid to increase the ammonia level in such a new tank. he hasnt touched my corals.. thought hed make it as a home

OP
OP
G

gmeazy01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look good to me, you think?

Attachments

• B48C669B-6F9F-45C1-9CB9-DB43A776ADF6.jpeg
    B48C669B-6F9F-45C1-9CB9-DB43A776ADF6.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 49

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@gmeazy01 can also borrow this technique from our freshwater fish sage father fish(something I'm working on is micro fauna and macroalgae so my fish can graze all day)and having microbial rich water the biogeochemical cycles itself practically by only adding red sea abcd and amino acids

Basically more surface area(more rock deeper substrate) means more filtration

Last edited:

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats what my clownfish does as well . in the morning he goes by the transparent glass then at night they go to the black part and just float they're so interesting to watch. I should have gotten two but I was afraid to increase the ammonia level in such a new tank.
Well definitely get a 2nd clown together they are even weirder. The one you added 1st will probably be the dominant 1 since he knows the area.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats what my clownfish does as well . in the morning he goes by the transparent glass then at night they go to the black part and just float they're so interesting to watch. I should have gotten two but I was afraid to increase the ammonia level in such a new tank.
Two would’ve been okay. They are small/lower bio-load on the tank. People typically get them in pairs. It’s good to wait like a week or two before adding additional tank mates. Since the clown didn’t qt or get dipped definitely recommend waiting a while and monitor for anything before adding more.

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And never add the copper treatment to the display tank.
For sure anything with chloride and fluorine and heavy metals are a no no
Even annehyde and praziquantul can irritate inverts so if you do medicate also rinse fish in display water(separate container)pour out half)and re drip in order to not contaminate and pollute the water column

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two would’ve been okay. They are small/lower bio-load on the tank. People typically get them in pairs. It’s good to wait like a week or two before adding additional tank mates. Since the clown didn’t qt or get dipped definitely recommend waiting a while and monitor for anything before adding more.
Yeah I agree. I would wait 30days.

OP
OP
G

gmeazy01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turned on the moonlight for this photo. The clownfish is now back to the black part and i think it will be sleeping soon since my lights turned off as well. I run it from 2-10 PM

167584D9-6302-41C1-AF65-F2B135EEF8CA.jpeg

OP
OP
G

gmeazy01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure anything with chloride and fluorine and heavy metals are a no no
Even annehyde and praziquantul can irritate inverts so if you do medicate also rinse fish in display water(separate container)pour out half)and re drip in order to not contaminate and pollute the water column
Wait for dipping the fish, does it have to he in a tank? I dipped my corals in a bowl lol

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turned on the moonlight for this photo. The clownfish is now back to the black part and i think it will be sleeping soon since my lights turned off as well. I run it from 2-10 PM
I'd give em 10 to 12 hours (12-12 new method) for optimum growth and coloration what you are doing is good because it will give the fis and coral time to acclimate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd give em 10 to 12 hours (12-12 new method) for optimum growth and coloration what you are doing is good because it will give the fis and coral time to acclimate
Yes you want to mimic nature with light schedule. Do your lights have a sunrise/sunset setting? You also want to be sure to have the proper white/colored light percentages for the corals as to not bleach them and provide optimum health.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.9%
Back