Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, just a quick update:

PH: 8.1
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 80ppm

I put in 1ppm ammonia in two days ago, and looked at my results yesterday and the ammonia was at 0ppm and the nitrite was at .25ppm so I gave it another day and it’s reading 0ppm ammonia and nitrites. I suppose the cycle is super close to being done? Yes or no? I’m gonna put in another 1 ppm ammonia to see the result for tomorrow. If they read 0, then is the tank cycled?

GregDaKeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, just a quick update:

PH: 8.1
Nitrite: 0 ppm

I put in 1ppm ammonia in two days ago, and looked at my results yesterday and the ammonia was at 0ppm and the nitrite was at .25ppm so I gave it another day and it’s reading 0ppm ammonia and nitrites. I suppose the cycle is super close to being done? Yes or no? I’m gonna put in another 1 ppm ammonia to see the result for tomorrow. If they read 0, then is the tank cycled?
I believe the first part of cycle is done. Get a fish or two. Add one or two fish (QT if at all possible). Stare at empty tank (take your time). Do a good 60% water change (lower Nitrates). Keep lights off or under 10%. Ghost feed. And wait. Test alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, PH, phosphate, and Nitrate. At least weekly. Now is the time to practice testing and save up for high quality test kits (if you dont have them). Get used to testing. Test, test, retest. If you have a good LFS have them test weekly as well and compare to your results. Once you turn your lights up get ready. Real Diatoms are on the way. Let them run there course. I had a small bloom. Then 4 months in bang! Took about 3 weeks. No water change or cleaning. Let them role. Add clean up crew. They will suddenly stop. Do water change and clean. After that...who knows. Lol. That is where I am at right now. I have to dose alk and calcium (only a few zoa frags) due to the coralline starting to spread. Keep testing and learn your tank. Also test your new salt mix each time to find the right balance/brand. From a noob (well.. born again reefer from the early 2000's) hope this helps. I could be totally wrong. Good luck!

OP
OP
Z

Zachary S.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the first part of cycle is done. Get a fish or two. Add one or two fish (QT if at all possible). Stare at empty tank (take your time). Do a good 60% water change (lower Nitrates). Keep lights off or under 10%. Ghost feed. And wait. Test alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, PH, phosphate, and Nitrate. At least weekly. Now is the time to practice testing and save up for high quality test kits (if you dont have them). Get used to testing. Test, test, retest. If you have a good LFS have them test weekly as well and compare to your results. Once you turn your lights up get ready. Real Diatoms are on the way. Let them run there course. I had a small bloom. Then 4 months in bang! Took about 3 weeks. No water change or cleaning. Let them role. Add clean up crew. They will suddenly stop. Do water change and clean. After that...who knows. Lol. That is where I am at right now. I have to dose alk and calcium (only a few zoa frags) due to the coralline starting to spread. Keep testing and learn your tank. Also test your new salt mix each time to find the right balance/brand. From a noob (well.. born again reefer from the early 2000's) hope this helps. I could be totally wrong. Good luck!
That is very informative, you explained it very well, thank you .

although I do not have a QT so would I just acclimate there fish and put them in the tank? My first fish are going to be clownfish which I hear is pretty hardy. Also should I wait a while to get corals? And do I add the cleanup crew once I get the diatom bloom or can I add them right away? (once some algae and food grows for them of course)

I appreciate your response!

OP
OP
Z

Zachary S.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update after dosing ammonia:

PH: 8
Nitrite: 0ppm

Thoughts????

OP
OP
Z

Zachary S.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update after dosing
Parameters update:

PH: 8
Nitrite:0ppm

Raised the ammonia up to see if the levels go down within the 24 hours.

Also it looks to me like I’m getting really bright green spots on my rocks, not much but definitely there, what algae is bright bright green algae?
This is the algae.. any type of algae or is it just the regular green algae?

8FADBEFF-4A60-4FBD-90F6-3DC9CB57F9CF.jpeg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back