Cycling with live rock

th365thli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea 650 system I'm bringing up. It currently has dry rock, coupled with some live rock from the LFS, (and some hermits).

The live rock is 5 pieces. According to the LFS, it's shipped from a place in Florida that leases a section of beach. The rock comes from there (and new rock is seeded there). Thus, there are all sorts of littler critters and things on them. I am rolling the dice a bit, as you can't guarantee what can or cannot come on the rock (pests, undesirables etc), but I'm a firm believer in micro bio-diversity in my tank, so pros/cons.

My question is, is it safe to add hardy fish like clowns? The live rock should already have beneficial bacteria right? Ammonia reads at 0 but more so wondering about a harmful spike.

I'm also seeding with Microbacter 7.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If the live rock has been in your LFS storage bin for long enough that anything dying is now dead and decayed away, your tank is 100% cycled. No need for bottled bacteria or anything else.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s a genuine live rock, with growth on it, that yes, but I would only count amount of your live rock and do not take into consideration dry rock yet, until it will gets bacterial population established. I would bring fish one by one And slowly though

OP
OP
th365thli

th365thli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the live rock has been in your LFS storage bin for long enough that anything dying is now dead and decayed away, your tank is 100% cycled. No need for bottled bacteria or anything else.
Two pieces were in there for quite a while. He got a new shipment yesterday so 3 pieces are "new" in his store, but have been in the ocean for some time. All pieces have growth on them. The pieces are stored in a frag tank with lights, urchins, various hermits and critters, along with a basket of anemones. It's uses a centralized filtration system with his other frag tanks with corals.

Sounds like I'm good to add clowns then!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If the rock didn't stink of dead things when you got it, and you aren't reading any ammonia, your tank is indeed cycled and ready for a couple of small fish. Congrats on your cool rock. Have fun!

OP
OP
th365thli

th365thli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the rock didn't stink of dead things when you got it, and you aren't reading any ammonia, your tank is indeed cycled and ready for a couple of small fish. Congrats on your cool rock. Have fun!

Thanks! Nah didn't stink, just smelled very ocean-y, like a tide pool. He told me when he used to get rock from places in the Pacific it would smell bad from the long travel time and presumable decay.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That smell is genuinely a good way to tell whether the rock will need some time to sit. If it smells like an ocean scent you'd want in a candle or something, it has minimal to no decay, and should be fine to use. If it smells like low tide, it might need some time and water changes.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 146 88.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back