Cycling

kylevan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think my diatom bloom is ending now the algae is turning to green algae is this part of the process I'm not sure because I've started dosing with aquavitro fuel and feeding micro algae I think it is for filter feeders(feather duster). Is the green algae the next phase after a diatom bloom?

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep sure is although I would stop feeding fuel to the fire ( pun intended) for awhile.
You really don't need to feed much of anything right now unless you have anemones that you have to feed. Again your water changes are probably taking care of your requirements. You really don't have a lot in there. If you want get some phytoplankton ( in a bottle) or zoo plankton ( also in a bottle) and that will be good

Reef2zach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah and it's gonna get worse before it gets better. Water changes will help. Don't add anything and it should be spotless in 1 to 3 weeks

Reef2zach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if you think nitrate levels are good enough. It's a good time to add your snails and crabs they'll help pick away the algea

OP
OP
kylevan

kylevan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do already have about 24 snails and crabs and 2 anemones and 2 clown fish and 2 cleaner shrimp I wasn't planning on getting anemones yet but some guy on Facebook was selling them and I got them for a steal 5-7 in rbta and purple tip Condy for 100$ 2-4 in. Nitrate levels are between 5-10ppm

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imho your tank is too young or new for anemones... and after reading and researching I believe it takes months and upto a year for a tank to finish cycling .. or become stable ... slow and cautious is the way too go ... patience now will help you later ... happy reefing

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do already have about 24 snails and crabs and 2 anemones and 2 clown fish and 2 cleaner shrimp I wasn't planning on getting anemones yet but some guy on Facebook was selling them and I got them for a steal 5-7 in rbta and purple tip Condy for 100$ 2-4 in. Nitrate levels are between 5-10ppm
Nitrates are high ( some may say no) but from what I learned 2 to 5 is fine anything higher is a no and again patience my friend a little fast. Slow down some

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 73 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back