CYCLING

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello y’all currently 15 days into Cycling my saltwater tank. It is a 30 g and I currently have hermit crab’s nassarius snails and 2 chromis. They have all been in the tank for about 10-12 days and I am curious when I should be ready to add my next load of fish, I was thinking to wait 2 more weeks. is better to do a water change first. Any ideas or thoughts. My Salinity level is 1.027 as I just topped it off with RO water. The Ph is approximately 8.1-8.2 and the Nitrate is about 30ppm

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there shouldnt really be any fish or cuc in your tank if it is not done cycling. Unless you are doing a fish cycling method, you shouldn't add fish to an uncycled tank. With the 30ppm, this wont affect fish too much but cuc is very sensitive to high nitrate levels. Alongside this, since you havent cycled it yet, the nitrates may be affected by the nitrite.

You should not add anything else to your tank until after the cycle completely finishes. And you cannot estimate this as every cycle is different, the only way to know is to test your water.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello y’all currently 15 days into Cycling my saltwater tank. It is a 30 g and I currently have hermit crab’s nassarius snails and 2 chromis. They have all been in the tank for about 10-12 days and I am curious when I should be ready to add my next load of fish, I was thinking to wait 2 more weeks. is better to do a water change first. Any ideas or thoughts. My Salinity level is 1.027 as I just topped it off with RO water. The Ph is approximately 8.1-8.2 and the Nitrate is about 30ppm

Thread really doesn't require an "Emergency" tag.

Please be aware that these tags are meant for actual emergencies, requiring immediate replies to solve immediate issues.

You failed to post your water parameters.

Based on what you DID post, 30g, couple chromis, some cuc... I honestly can't advise you when to add more fish.

We need to know a lot more information before we can give you good advice.

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So there shouldnt really be any fish or cuc in your tank if it is not done cycling. Unless you are doing a fish cycling method, you shouldn't add fish to an uncycled tank. With the 30ppm, this wont affect fish too much but cuc is very sensitive to high nitrate levels. Alongside this, since you havent cycled it yet, the nitrates may be affected by the nitrite.

You should not add anything else to your tank until after the cycle completely finishes. And you cannot estimate this as every cycle is different, the only way to know is to test your water.
I see so could that be the reason why my peppermint shrimp died. It molted 4 days into the tank and died 2 days after that. Right now my Chromis are being fed mysis shrimp as meal and flakes in the morning. Would you recommend a water change soon or let the cycle complete first?

VAReefer1991

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly the right answer would be to test ammonia first, then nitrite, if those are still showing up, you're not cycled. With the livestock you have it could take a while for the cycle to complete. You might lose everything but the fish. I would test parameters first. if ammonia and nitrite are zero then test nitrate before you do a water change.

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see so could that be the reason why my peppermint shrimp died. It molted 4 days into the tank and died 2 days after that. Right now my Chromis are being fed mysis shrimp as meal and flakes in the morning. Would you recommend a water change soon or let the cycle complete first?
Yes most likely since shrimp are very sensitive.

And tbh not sure what to recommend cause I never put livestock in before cycle finishes

I would start by testing your water first.

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes most likely since shrimp are very sensitive.

And tbh not sure what to recommend cause I never put livestock in before cycle finishes

I would start by testing your water first.
I have been testing the water today I am going to add microbac to help kickstart the stall

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thread really doesn't require an "Emergency" tag.

Please be aware that these tags are meant for actual emergencies, requiring immediate replies to solve immediate issues.

You failed to post your water parameters.

Based on what you DID post, 30g, couple chromis, some cuc... I honestly can't advise you when to add more fish.

We need to know a lot more information before we can give you good advice.
Hey man I just went to test my water and the reading for ammonia was 0 ppm and nitrite was coming up as .25ppm any advice?

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggest you watch Bulk Reef Supply videos on Youtube on just about everything in the hobby. The main thing is to Go Slow. Nothing good happens fast in keeping a saltwater tank. I would wait a month or more before you add anything else. Give it a chance to settle down and the bioload catch up. As others have mentioned, it is very cruel to use creatures to cycle a tank.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're specific gravity is 1.027 after topping off with RO? I would lower to 1.026 and consider getting an ATO. This will save you headaches and reduce stress on your animals. As others have said, wait to add any more animals. The BRS videos are very easy to watch and quite helpful. I also recommend that you watch these while you wait for your tank to cycle.

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's easy to get impatient when cycling a tank, but you should never add anything to the tank until the cycle is finished. After 3 months add some snails to eat up the alge. I wouldn't even recommend turning on your lights until after the first 6 weeks. Even then running then at a very low intensity. Especially if your using dry rock. I've cycled both with dry and live rock. Dry rock is definitely longer and requires more patience. I agree 100% with the others who have commented. Please do your self a favor and wach BRS YouTube videos. It will help you out alot.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back