Cypahestrea with gray spot?

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed a gray hole on my cyphaestrea?
Params:
Nitrates: 7
pH: 7.8-8
Alk: 8.4
Mag: 1440
Calc: 500
Temp: 80-81

all my other corals are doing well and growing, granted they are easy soft corals.
The cyphaestrea looks like it has a gray spot on the right which doesn’t look like bleaching. Is this indicative of a pest?

34399DF6-EE06-4493-8B33-2FE1CDA3DD33.jpeg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stay the course and monitor. A dip in Coral Medi or the like probably won't hurt.

OP
OP
A

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stay the course and monitor. A dip in Coral Medi or the like probably won't hurt.

I took your advice and did a dip, and I know this is quite late as I haven't had time to be on the forum lately. Anyways, it significantly worsened, and the Cyphastrea is undergoing tissue necrosis and receding. I will test my water params tonight again, but if they're within range, I suspect a pest that wasn't cleared by the dip.

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a photo? For whatever reason, I could not keep those alive for the life of me. A similar thing was happening to mine that is now happening to yours. I gave up on keeping them, they would just not survive in my system. Then, on the off chance, I tried one six months later and it did well so I got two more. They are all fine now. All this in a well-established three-year-old SPS dominant system. Confounding mysteries abound in this hobby.

OP
OP
A

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a photo? For whatever reason, I could not keep those alive for the life of me. A similar thing was happening to mine that is now happening to yours. I gave up on keeping them, they would just not survive in my system. Then, on the off chance, I tried one six months later and it did well so I got two more. They are all fine now. All this in a well-established three-year-old SPS dominant system. Confounding mysteries abound in this hobby.
It used to be all the way to the edge of the plug on the front, but it’s a fair but receded now. If it is a pest and not water params, is there a fallow period needed before I add other LPS?

image.jpg

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the only coral in your system? How long has the tank been up and running? Can you give us as much info about your system as is possible, even things that seem inconsequential?

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine on the bottom about 50% shaded by a torch. All the growth is in the direction of the shade. But the colors and polyps look great where it is unshaded. The unshaded area is getting about 90 par.

OP
OP
A

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the only coral in your system? How long has the tank been up and running? Can you give us as much info about your system as is possible, even things that seem inconsequential?
I have three other corals in my system that are thriving and growing fast, granted they are soft corals. The tank has been running for four months, and I’m getting some decent corraline upstart. I run a hipargerro aquaknight light at 100 percent blue and 60 percent white on a 10 gallon aquarium. Tanks is currently fallow due to icy out break with one clownfish currently in qt. Due to this I have a small Dino outbreak, however UV is keeping that at bay. I’m running an aqueon HOB filter with carbon. Algae is at a minimum and I don’t ever recall seeing algae on the cyphaestrea. My other corals are a pulsing Xenia, Richordia mushroom, and Kenya tree. Temp ranges from 79-82. Salinity is 1.025-1.026. Calc is 510 which is a little high but I’m working on bringing it down. pH is 8 and alk is 8.5 and mag is 1440. Nitrates are around 4 and phosphates are around .06. I unfortunately don’t use RODI because I’m a broke high schooler, however I’m 79 ish out of 220 bucks there. I plan to pick up distilled water until I can get the system. I got the cyphaestrea on the 15 of June from top shelf aquatics. That’s about all I can think of for my tank details rn.

OP
OP
A

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine on the bottom about 50% shaded by a torch. All the growth is in the direction of the shade. But the colors and polyps look great where it is unshaded. The unshaded area is getting about 90 par.
I moved mine into the shade yesterday so I’ll see if it regains some of its lost tissue over the next few weeks, granted it doesn’t die off .

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to pick up distilled water until I can get the system. I got the cyphaestrea on the 15 of June from top shelf aquatics. That’s about all I can think of for my tank details rn.
So, does this mean that you have not been using distilled water yet?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back