Cyphastrea dead tissue? How to save it?

NickE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this cyphastrea that is having some issues. I had an emergency issue with my return pump and had to throw a heater in the display. At one point I noticed the heater started to touch the cyphastrea (early august). Over the next day or so I noticed some dead tissue. I kept an eye on it and it didn't seem like it was getting worse.

Fast forward 3 months and the tissue is still dead and starting to expand slightly. I'm looking for some help on the best way to save it. On the picture below you can see the outline of the frag plug slightly. It started to encrust over the rock rather well but I'm not sure the safest way to take care of this.

My initial thought was to cut around the base of the frag plug with a scalpel, take the frag out, cut the dead tissue with a scalpel, lugols dip and put it on a tile to see how it does. The part that encrusted on the live rock, I was going to cut the dead tissue off and hope for the best.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

cyphastrea.png

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what I would do. Just be sure to cut into the healthy tissue so that you don’t have any dead tissue still attached to the healthy part of the coral. Good luck!

OP
OP
NickE

NickE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what I would do. Just be sure to cut into the healthy tissue so that you don’t have any dead tissue still attached to the healthy part of the coral. Good luck!
Thanks for the reassurance. Im going to attempt this today.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 31 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%

Back