Cyphastrea on glass

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys

I want to coat one of my side panels with cyphastrea, and since it's a big area (24x17") I'm thinking of gluing a number of frags (of the same cyphastrea, unless I can mix 3-4 and have them kinda fuse like plating montipora does) onto a couple of floor tiles.habe them grow out to 50% coverage in my grownout frag tank, then move them upstairs and use small dabs of epoxy to attach the tiles to the glass.

That way, if I fancy a change, or it doesn't color up as expected, or I have to break down the tank, I can just pull the tile out and have a big plated cyphastrea colony ready to piece out or reuse.

Here's the question- how do I get the frag to encrust over the tile without leaving a bigbobvious 'bump' where the original frag is?

If I got parent frags that don't completely cover the plug, can I pop the coral off with a blade, or will cuphastrea tend to break up into super small pieces? Will it come off in one piece, or at least several large pieces?

Actually- I could glue several frags in a decent pattern over the tile, then just pop them off once they encrust double the size over the tile, then put them in a different spot. Repeat a few times until the tile is around 50% covered.

Any other ideas?

Sorry, feel like I just figured out my solution.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to let the coral encrust over the nub from the old frag then cut the old frag offed I will grow back over the hole.
Yeah- I think that's the way. Let the frags encrust over the big tile, pop of the original drag and move ornate to a new spot. Repeat until I get great coverage

Question- if I have 3 types of cyphastrea on one tile 24x17", will they compete with each other when they touch, or will they kinda slow growth and coexist peacefully?

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a bunch of different types, that will look awesome once they fuse!
You don't think one will be dominant and take over?

Luck of the draw, right?

Heres what im thinking:

WWC Bizarro (so many different colored bizarros, crazy)
IMG_1393.JPG

Agent 420
IMG_1394.JPG

Aliens Pox
IMG_1395.JPG

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not stalking you, but man, I miss the Bay Area. Weekends diving in Monterey and point lobos was the bomb
It is sweet! So much to do here!

You don't think one will be dominant and take over?

Luck of the draw, right?

Heres what im thinking:

WWC Bizarro (so many different colored bizarros, crazy)
IMG_1393.JPG

Agent 420
IMG_1394.JPG

Aliens Pox
IMG_1395.JPG
that will look amazing! They shouldn’t kill each-other, they all appear to be the same type, just different color morphs.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

that will look amazing! They shouldn’t kill each-other, they all appear to be the same type, just different color morphs.
Man, would I'm stoked. Got yo try this soon!!

Getting my grow out plumbed into the system in January. This'll be my first project

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Where are you located? Palo Alto, menlo?

I was in Palo Alto 2006-2008 then mountain view 2008-2012. Used to love taking the Caltrain into Stanford- nice little group would chat and share snacks (beers, lol) between San Bruno and San Jose. Couple lawyers, reporters, service industry, scientists. Was a cool time

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you located? Palo Alto, menlo?

I was in Palo Alto 2006-2008 then mountain view 2008-2012. Used to love taking the Caltrain into Stanford- nice little group would chat and share snacks (beers, lol) between San Bruno and San Jose. Couple lawyers, reporters, service industry, scientists. Was a cool time
Nice! I use to work in Palo Alto, on middlefield rd! I now work in downtown Los Altos. I live in Sunnyvale and previously lived in Mountain View. Silicon Valley is sweet!

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I use to work in Palo Alto, on middlefield rd! I now work in downtown Los Altos. I live in Sunnyvale and previously lived in Mountain View. Silicon Valley is sweet!
Ever go to the breakfast cafe in LA run by the English dude? Little enclosed courtyard space was awesome

I loved it, but couldn't figure out a way to raise a family on salary for two Bio research scientists. Now over in Atlanta (wife is from here).

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a big area of meteor shower on one side of my sump frag area. I just trimmed it yesterday. It had grown down and across part of the frag rack, over some frags, and part way over the front panel. This is many years of growth, as you can see it is nearly an inch thick at the bottom. It will come right off the glass, that whole section has been taken off a few times. I used to have to lean it back against the side and secure with a rock, but now it has fused to the screen so it just hangs back where it belongs and re-encrusts at the edges after trimming.

I have Bizarro and Meteor shower touching without hurting each other so they seem to be compatible

F963ECC8-1A89-451E-9374-EF0F7CD3F65C.jpeg

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes, that picture is terrible, snapped it with my phone. No wonder this thread went silent. Here are some better pictures of what to expect with Meteor Shower.

IMG_2625.JPG
IMG_2623.JPG
Cool pics!Thanks

Any idea why it grew so thick? Or is that considered normal? I've never seen cyphastrea on a smooth surface, only rocks, so I have no frame of reference.

I love the look, but I don't think I'd enjoy seeing a 1" strip of skeleton through my viewing panels

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool pics!Thanks

Any idea why it grew so thick? Or is that considered normal? I've never seen cyphastrea on a smooth surface, only rocks, so I have no frame of reference.

I love the look, but I don't think I'd enjoy seeing a 1" strip of skeleton through my viewing panels
Most variations of cyphastrea I've come across have been almost completely flat.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most variations of cyphastrea I've come across have been almost completely flat.
That's kinda been my experience too but never seen it on a truly flat surface before.

Went to Tile World and lookws
Through some travertine today- there's a nice Venetian tumbled tile that's $80 sqft.... I might have to charge $$$ for drags if I ever sell it!

Their most basic is $1.30 sqft. That'll do nicely. I'm going to order the three shown above after Christmas since I'll be holiday traveling soon .

Going to put agent 420 and bizarro on the tile and alien pox on the overflow box

ukdreamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to change direction slightly, but how does Cyphastrea react when it comes into contact with other corals as it encrusts? Is it a tough customer, or does it often suffer, usually lose the war?

Also, I have some wretched mushrooms that spread and popup all over the show, and seem fairly aggressive, how would it likely do against them?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back