D.I.Y Arduino

vbsaltydog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can give you web access and a guided tour so you can see the features but I cant open it to the public.
I can tell you that it was built to do everything that the leading off-the-shelf units can't do, or can't do well/easily.

PM me for more info.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All current reef controllers leave a lot to be desired, which is why I am developing a controller that takes care of those issues and many more things I wish I could do with my apex. When I unveil this thing people's minds will be blown and they ll want one. Gonna be cheaper then the apex and reefkeeper but with more features and capabilities...I prototype my circuits using arduino boards put print my own final circuit boards. Sounds like you may be doing the same thing...

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a fully assignable 8 solid state relay board for $23

SainSmart 8-Channel 5V Solid State Relay Module Board for Arduino Uno Duemilanove MEGA2560 MEGA1280 ARM DSP PIC:Amazon:Computers & Accessories

If the link doesn't work it is an 8 solid state relay by sainsmart for sale on amazon. It is easy to program, and is plug and play with almost all common DIY controllers such as the arduino. On the apex there is a combination of mechanical and solid state relays. This board can easily be installed inside of an 8 outlet powerstrip for the "polished" professional look.

just to give others an idea, this is what I did. This setup is expandable to another unmodified chauvet to get 16 outlets total. The chauvet relays are obviously much better quality than the 8 channel relay. But I had to gut this one out so I can put the arduino, power supply, ph circuit, etc. in it so I don't have another extra box containing the arduino, its already ugly as it is.

D817C5FD-F868-4933-9F10-400814E1FFFF-7171-00000A011BCB5E88.jpg

AF44304D-F8AD-4D2C-9DC5-D025C8C9C43D-7171-00000A023975E518.jpg

go 49ers

Last edited:

vbsaltydog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All current reef controllers leave a lot to be desired, which is why I am developing a controller that takes care of those issues and many more things I wish I could do with my apex. When I unveil this thing people's minds will be blown and they ll want one. Gonna be cheaper then the apex and reefkeeper but with more features and capabilities...I prototype my circuits using arduino boards put print my own final circuit boards. Sounds like you may be doing the same thing...

Yes, mine is light years ahead of the leading commercial units. I have nested conditions, configuration wizards, true randomization of lighting/flow to name a few features from a long list. I have many months of heavy development and unit testing done. I have had the units running on established tanks for several months under the most demanding conditions that a reef controller could be asked to handle. I am less concerned with the market than I am with inspiring reef controller manufacturers to raise the bar. If I happen to dominate the market, thats a pleasant biproduct.

I look forward to seeing what you release and a little healthy competition.

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, mine is light years ahead of the leading commercial units. I have nested conditions, configuration wizards, true randomization of lighting/flow to name a few features from a long list. I have many months of heavy development and unit testing done. I have had the units running on established tanks for several months under the most demanding conditions that a reef controller could be asked to handle. I am less concerned with the market than I am with inspiring reef controller manufacturers to raise the bar. If I happen to dominate the market, thats a pleasant biproduct.

I look forward to seeing what you release and a little healthy competition.

my design is complete opposite. just the basics, bare minimum. no bells and whistles. keep it as simple as possible. I do all my outlet control using timer interrupts and input trigger using pin change interrupt. This makes the program run with no lag at all vs programming on the main loop.

go 49ers!

Last edited:

vbsaltydog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my design is complete opposite. just the basics, bare minimum. no bells and whistles. keep it as simple as possible. I do all my outlet control using timer interrupts and input trigger using pin change interrupt. This makes the program run with no lag at all vs programming on the main loop.

go 49ers!

Thats cool. Everybody has their own methods. My lag time is measured in nanoseconds and I am OK with that.

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats cool. Everybody has their own methods. My lag time is measured in nanoseconds and I am OK with that.

what microcontroller/cpu are you using? as that's a really fast cpu to execute all the features you described in one main loop cycle in nanoseconds. I don't think a 100mhz arm cortex m3 can run that fast.

vbsaltydog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what microcontroller/cpu are you using? as that's a really fast cpu to execute all the features you described in one main loop cycle in nanoseconds. I don't think a 100mhz arm cortex m3 can run that fast.

Nobody said I was running at 100mhz. You dont really think I am going to describe my hardware on a commercial product before its release, do you? (rhetorical)

vbsaltydog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't upset. Things can come across wrong over text. It was meant playfully.

Having said that, I have put thousands of R&D hours into my product to make it perform in a class above existing commercial options and I intend to protect my investment so my hardware/software is closed source.

OP
OP
dorky

dorky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a question folks. Is there a specific rtc tht will work with atmega2560?

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a question folks. Is there a specific rtc tht will work with atmega2560?

I use this kind
New Arduino I2C RTC DS1307 AT24C32 Real Time Clock Module for AVR Arm Pic | eBay

most you will find is this type. It works fine, except it uses a resistor voltage divider to detect if external supply is present, and may affect your circuit if you use a resistor voltage divider in your circuit. This is supported by standard arduino time library. If you have network connection, you can set it up to sync the time to an ntp server.

occ_motorcycles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this kind
New Arduino I2C RTC DS1307 AT24C32 Real Time Clock Module for AVR Arm Pic | eBay

most you will find is this type. It works fine, except it uses a resistor voltage divider to detect if external supply is present, and may affect your circuit if you use a resistor voltage divider in your circuit. This is supported by standard arduino time library. If you have network connection, you can set it up to sync the time to an ntp server.

Interesting. I am all new to programming but still interesting to read.

neuro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you guys visited the DIY controller thread on RC? Looks like the guy is nearing completion. Looks like a very well done build. If anything, you can probably look for things he's already tried and what did/didn't work for him.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back