D.I.Y Arduino

dorky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Fellow Reefer!!!

I am in the process of doing two projects one is led+t5 light and other is arduino. so in this thread im going to focus on the controller.
it my first time building the controller so i would just use it mainly to have the ability to control the light as in dimming up or down or have sunrise and sunset effect. In the long run i will add more stuff as in temp, ato, orp n ph. This controller will be little different because i will be using touchscreen lcd :thumb:. so i have lot of questions and need alot of advice as well esp with the coding. I have order the kit it said it suppose to arrive on the 29th of this month. it Mega2560+3.2" TFT LCD Shield+Touch Screen SD Reader for Arduino 2560 from sainsmart. I know i need to get a rtc but is there anything else i need to get as well? Oh yea I just realize that the driver that im getting is analog so is there a way to convert analog into PWM? if so please help or tell me thanks

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I play around with an arduino from time to time (I'm not an electrical engineer either, but I am mechanical engineer phd candidate ;) ), it really isn't that hard to do. Just get right at it when you get, only way you will learn is to do the code yourself ( there is help menus and the such to get you along, and a ton of user templates and codes). I can take a look at our code or maybe answer some coding questions when they arise. Good luck

vbsaltydog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I play around with an arduino from time to time (I'm not an electrical engineer either, but I am mechanical engineer phd candidate ;) ), it really isn't that hard to do. Just get right at it when you get, only way you will learn is to do the code yourself ( there is help menus and the such to get you along, and a ton of user templates and codes). I can take a look at our code or maybe answer some coding questions when they arise. Good luck

The point I was making wasn't that it is hard to play with Arduino sketches, thats the easy part and it does not allow you to create a reef controller.

Arduino sketches alone will not permit you to read probes, control relays, output 0-10vDC, etc. Those tasks require custom circuits, buses, data acquisition, digital to analog conversion and vise versa, etc. and those tasks require EE skills so I repeat, if you are not an EE but have built a reef controller, please post your schematics.

No offense bct15, just trying to save people time and money.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The point I was making wasn't that it is hard to play with Arduino sketches, thats the easy part and it does not allow you to create a reef controller.

Arduino sketches alone will not permit you to read probes, control relays, output 0-10vDC, etc. Those tasks require custom circuits, buses, data acquisition, digital to analog conversion and vise versa, etc. and those tasks require EE skills so I repeat, if you are not an EE but have built a reef controller, please post your schematics.

No offense bct15, just trying to save people time and money.

I actually am designing a reef controller but can't post schematics, as it is something A partner and I are working on to possibly make some money and there would be no market if I gave if all away. However relays, probes, and All of the sorts can easily be read and controlled by an arduino with the proper shields and boards. For example here is an 8 mehanical relay board that requires minimal code that is directly controlled by the arduino and literally takes 10 minutes to set up costing about $15, alot of people use it to automate christmas lights..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358795802.965806.jpg

Dave A

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a number of Arduino based DIY controllers that are documented well enough that an electronics hobbyist should have no trouble building and programming one. If you're not familiar with the platform and it's programming, it may be best to find one of those and follow the instructions. Personally, I don't think it's worth playing with analog drivers, there are a number of reasons that PWM is a better choice. For starters, the Arduino has PWM outputs, drivers can be hooked up directly with no need for any D to A conversion. Second, most analog drivers don't "turn on" until somewhere above 10% power, OTOH, some PWM drivers come on at just 1%, this makes for a much smoother sunrise/sunset.
A simple float switch is a digital device, it is either on or off and can directly trigger an input on an Arduino. Likewise, the relay board posted above, or an SSR can take a digital signal from an Arduino to turn an item on or off. A float switch and a relay is all it takes to build an ATO. There are also temperature sensors that can be connected directly to an Arduino that can be used with another relay or SSR to control a heater, chiller or fans. A wavemaker requires nothing but a couple relays. You'll need a simple circuit to hook up a pH probe but it's not a big deal.
Plenty of people have built their own Arduino based controllers and many have shared their info, it's there if you look for it. I'm sure some of them are EE's, but there are also plenty who are just hobbyist that took the time to figure it out. I've picked out a design, read through the material and ordered the parts. There's nothing in the write up that looks even remotely difficult.

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need to be an EE to design and build a controller but it certainly helps. There are many circuits and info on the Internet that are open sourced. Some of them conveniently leave out some critical part values :). If you understand how things work, you should be able to figure out the value.

As for DIY, if your objective is to learn, then DIY is the way to go. If your objective is to save money, you will find out in the end you will spend almost as much as just buying an apex to begin with. Not only that, your final product will look ugly as heck and nowhere close to polished look of a commercial controller.

I say that because I am building one myself and now wished I just bought the apex. I am learning a lot though. I have EE background.

vbsaltydog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a number of Arduino based DIY controllers that are documented well enough that an electronics hobbyist should have no trouble building and programming one. If you're not familiar with the platform and it's programming, it may be best to find one of those and follow the instructions.

There are many partial designs or theoretical designs designs out there. There are no comprehensive designs that are layman friendly. You refer to electronics hobbyists as being able to build these DIY controllers but it seems that those trying to build these controllers are not electronics hobbyists, but rather, those that want a controller and think its as simple as a drive to rat shack and following a youtube video. This is not the reality.

Personally, I don't think it's worth playing with analog drivers, there are a number of reasons that PWM is a better choice. For starters, the Arduino has PWM outputs, drivers can be hooked up directly with no need for any D to A conversion. Second, most analog drivers don't "turn on" until somewhere above 10% power, OTOH, some PWM drivers come on at just 1%, this makes for a much smoother sunrise/sunset.

Valid points.

A simple float switch is a digital device, it is either on or off and can directly trigger an input on an Arduino. Likewise, the relay board posted above, or an SSR can take a digital signal from an Arduino to turn an item on or off.

This will allow simple switching of eight mechanical relays but when I refer to a controller, I am referring to one that is extensible by having the relays on a bus that can address/rename the relays and address more than eight relays.

A float switch and a relay is all it takes to build an ATO. There are also temperature sensors that can be connected directly to an Arduino that can be used with another relay or SSR to control a heater, chiller or fans.

True.

A wavemaker requires nothing but a couple relays.

This is only true for on/off but when people use the term controller and pump control they are usually referring to variable speed pumps that are controlled via 0-10vDC and not simple on/off. Not to mention that mechanical relays are loud and burn out so you will need solid state relays for items that are switched often, like pumps. Where is a solid state relay board that is directly compatible with the Arduino that does not blow the budget?

You'll need a simple circuit to hook up a pH probe but it's not a big deal.

pH probes circuits have very low values that cannot be read by the arduino directly. They must be amplified before the MC can use the values from the circuit. This is not as simple as you are making it out to be.

Plenty of people have built their own Arduino based controllers and many have shared their info, it's there if you look for it. I'm sure some of them are EE's, but there are also plenty who are just hobbyist that took the time to figure it out. I've picked out a design, read through the material and ordered the parts. There's nothing in the write up that looks even remotely difficult.

I am the last person to discourage anyone from trying to do something if they feel they can accomplish it but there is also the reality that you cannot do, in 30 minutes with the help of youtube, what took others years of training to be able to do.

In conclusion, it is absolutely feasible to go to rat shack and get an arduino starter kit, wire up a few float switches and momentary contact switches, insert a plug-n-play mechanical relay board, buy a few meanwell PWM LED drivers, write a few sketches and have yourself a simple controller.

It is quite another thing to have meaningful probe values, solid state relays on an addressable/extensible bus, and 0-10vDC analog output. This does not even begin to address the topics of user interface, logging, graphing, reporting, alerts, remote access, settings backup, etc.

I think if people are going to discuss a DIY controller, they should understand what exactly that means as compared to commercially available controllers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dorky

dorky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you guys make a very compelling points and i appreciate it. reason y i want to go this route is to simply learn more about the arduino and how it work. that y i decided not to make a full blown controller right now. i just want to study the coding and parts see how it work. I just like doing Diying stuff because i dont feel limited if im not happy then i can adjusted or modify in anyway till i break it. i didnt think that doing the analog would be that hard just glad that i have pwm drivers that i can use. i will use the analog till i do enough research and to find the right parts for it later down the road if i decided to swap it.

vbsaltydog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you guys make a very compelling points and i appreciate it. reason y i want to go this route is to simply learn more about the arduino and how it work. that y i decided not to make a full blown controller right now. i just want to study the coding and parts see how it work. I just like doing Diying stuff because i dont feel limited if im not happy then i can adjusted or modify in anyway till i break it. i didnt think that doing the analog would be that hard just glad that i have pwm drivers that i can use. i will use the analog till i do enough research and to find the right parts for it later down the road if i decided to swap it.

Nothing wrong with learning new things and tinkering. The Arduino is a great place to enter into microcontroller technology. Have fun.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a fully assignable 8 solid state relay board for $23

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006J4G45G/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1358878236&sr=8-2&pi=SL75

If the link doesn't work it is an 8 solid state relay by sainsmart for sale on amazon. It is easy to program, and is plug and play with almost all common DIY controllers such as the arduino. On the apex there is a combination of mechanical and solid state relays. This board can easily be installed inside of an 8 outlet powerstrip for the "polished" professional look.

As far as assigning, that is done inside of the code by assigning or naming whatever you want the channels of the relay to operate on. There are already ph and temp probes compatible with the arduino that just go to the analog ins..the water proof temp probe is about $10 and the ph probe is rather expensive (about same as regular lab grade ph probe).

You can code up and assemble a controller that can do the same as an apex for about 150-180 bucks. Relay board, Ethernet shield, arduino, 8 outlet power strip, temp and ph probes. Or you could add the wireless shield then not have to bother with wired connections. You can probably use a motor control shield to perform as several variable outs as well...

Last edited:

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph probe shield $25

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00641R1PQ/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1358879014&sr=8-2&pi=SL75

Ethernet shield $40

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006UT97FE/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1358879130&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

Wireless shield $20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007QXRA4I/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1358879173&sr=8-2&pi=SL75

Waterproof temp sensor $15

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007R9UU5C/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1358879230&sr=8-3&pi=SL75

Motor control shield $14. (dc motor control)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00813HBBO?qid=1358879317&sr=8-1

8 outlet powerstrip $15

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000HPV3RW/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1358879614&sr=8-4&pi=SL75

Arduino UNO r3 $25

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006H06TVG/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1358879967&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

To make a DiY version of the apex all you need from the above is Ethernet or wireless shield, ph shield, relay board, arduino, powerstrip, temp sensor, ph probe for a grand total of around $125 before you add the ph probe of your choice. The motor shield just gives you some more variable speed outs.

Last edited:

vbsaltydog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remembering that I do encourage DIY, here are a few things to point out.

The eight SSR board that was referenced is not an extensible bus. How do you add another eight relays to a single Arduino?

Where is the user interface? How do you view your temp, pH values and/or quickly make changes to your code?

You will need to have a dedicated computer running the Arduino IDE, in close proximity to the Arduino, in order to have access to readings and to modify/upload new sketches.

You forgot the piezo for audible alarms and the real time clock.

Also, I would not recommend wiring the motor shield to your Pump/LED drivers without close examination of the output amperage/voltage. My guess is that this is not as compatible as it seems.

The Arduino platform is very versatile and can make a minimalistic DIY controller for under $200.00 but if you want a full featured controller, like off the shelf commercial units, then it will take hundreds of dollars and many hours to build so there is little advantage in a DIY build.

Having said that, I encourage all DIY and would love to see some controller builds displayed on youtube, I just don't see a financial advantage over buying a reef angel or other commercial controller.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can answer some of your questions

The eight SSR board that was referenced is not an extensible bus. How do you add another eight relays to a single Arduino?

You simply add another relay board

Where is the user interface? How do you view your temp, pH values and/or quickly make changes to your code?

You view them in the HTML page that you write for your arduino, you can make it look exactly like the Apex homepage if you want. You can set it up with drop down menus, text editor blocks, blinking lights on the screen whatever your heart desires. Once you have polished your HTML code converting it to a cellphone app is easy but pointless if you have a web browser on your phone.

You will need to have a dedicated computer running the Arduino IDE, in close proximity to the Arduino, in order to have access to readings and to modify/upload new sketches.

Not true, I can access my friends arduino from any computer or my cellphone from my house. We currently have his hooked up to a vacuum and a blender and I can turn them on from anywhere in the world using the same port forwarding method you use to access your apex. Also, the arduino has the code embedded onto the chip and does not need to be plugged into a computer to run, just upload your program and you are done. You will need the power adapter for the arduino though.

Clock is a simple code and a piezo tweeter is like $.10

Also, I would not recommend wiring the motor shield to your Pump/LED drivers without close examination of the output amperage/voltage. My guess is that this is not as compatible as it seems.

The motor control board is a controllable variable speed output capable of pushing from 0-25 volts DC, you can set it to push 0-2.5 volts if you want or 0-1 or anything else not exceeding 25volts. It may or may not work for what you ate thinking but is worth investigating to a savy diyer.

Is the arduino plug and play right out of the box? No, but most of the included example files can be slightly modified to do exactly what you need it to. Is it able to do everythin the apex can do? Yes and more. A micro controller is limited to the programmers foresight and problem solving skills. If you are planning on making a full blown water proof ultimate reef controller like I'm working on then you may want to consider printing your own circuit boards, but the arduino can do it just the same.

Last edited:

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a fully assignable 8 solid state relay board for $23

SainSmart 8-Channel 5V Solid State Relay Module Board for Arduino Uno Duemilanove MEGA2560 MEGA1280 ARM DSP PIC:Amazon:Computers & Accessories

If the link doesn't work it is an 8 solid state relay by sainsmart for sale on amazon. It is easy to program, and is plug and play with almost all common DIY controllers such as the arduino. On the apex there is a combination of mechanical and solid state relays. This board can easily be installed inside of an 8 outlet powerstrip for the "polished" professional look.

just to give others an idea, this is what I did. This setup is expandable to another unmodified chauvet to get 16 outlets total. The chauvet relays are obviously much better quality than the 8 channel relay. But I had to gut this one out so I can put the arduino, power supply, ph circuit, etc. in it so I don't have another extra box containing the arduino, its already ugly as it is.

2013-01-22T12-24-27_0.jpg

2013-01-22T12-24-27_1.jpg

OP
OP
dorky

dorky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just to give others an idea, this is what I did. This setup is expandable to another unmodified chauvet to get 16 outlets total. The chauvet relays are obviously much better quality than the 8 channel relay. But I had to gut this one out so I can put the arduino, power supply, ph circuit, etc. in it so I don't have another extra box containing the arduino, its already ugly as it is.

Your pictures didn't show up

vbsaltydog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can answer some of your questions

You simply add another relay board

How many can you add? The Arduino has a finite number of output pins.

You view them in the HTML page that you write for your arduino, you can make it look exactly like the Apex homepage if you want. You can set it up with drop down menus, text editor blocks, blinking lights on the screen whatever your heart desires. Once you have polished your HTML code converting it to a cellphone app is easy but pointless if you have a web browser on your phone.

Running a web sever via the ethernet shield will allow you to display the data, true enough, but can you update the sketch this way? The IDE compiles the sketch and flashes the chip with the compiled binary, can the web server can handle this process.

Not true, I can access my friends arduino from any computer or my cellphone from my house. We currently have his hooked up to a vacuum and a blender and I can turn them on from anywhere in the world using the same port forwarding method you use to access your apex.

I understand that you can see the device status via the web server and change outlet states via POST data but what about updating your sketches? This is a main reason why I mentioned the required tether to the computer running the IDE.

Also, the arduino has the code embedded onto the chip and does not need to be plugged into a computer to run, just upload your program and you are done. You will need the power adapter for the arduino though.

I never mean to insinuate that the Arduino needed to be the tethered to a computer in order to run. I am insinuating that it needs to be tethered in order to update the sketch for the very reason that you detailed. It is embedded firmware on a chip.

Clock is a simple code and a piezo tweeter is like $.10

A real time clock is not the same as a software clock. It is a hardware clock that requires a circuit and a battery. Yes, the piezo is cheap but it was not mentioned so I mentioned it. It must also be wired and configured which is not so easy for the uninitiated.

The motor control board is a controllable variable speed output capable of pushing from 0-25 volts DC, you can set it to push 0-2.5 volts if you want or 0-1 or anything else not exceeding 25volts. It may or may not work for what you ate thinking but is worth investigating to a savy diyer.

Yes, it may work but it needed to be pointed out that is would be a bad idea to plug one into your favorite $300.00 light/pump without knowing what you are doing. It is NOT plug-n-play.

Is the arduino plug and play right out of the box? No, but most of the included example files can be slightly modified to do exactly what you need it to. Is it able to do everythin the apex can do? Yes and more. A micro controller is limited to the programmers foresight and problem solving skills. If you are planning on making a full blown water proof ultimate reef controller like I'm working on then you may want to consider printing your own circuit boards, but the arduino can do it just the same.

I repeat, I encourage DIY and think the Arduino is a great device for prototyping. I am only replying to dispel the rumors that it is simple to build a DIY reef controller with a few cheap components and a few hours to kill. The longer these threads get, the clearer it becomes to readers that, while the Arduino can be used to build a capable DIY reef controller, it is not nearly as simple as it is pitched to be when the threads begin. The desired effect is to better inform those with the acquired skills or a strong desire and to save everyone else money, time, and stress.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many can you add?

The arduino has 13 PWM outputs. However there are a lot of ways around this, linking multiple arduinos or the muxshield which is stackable and adds 48 I/O. You can also get an arduino mega what comes stock with 58 I/O. Below is a link to the muxshield. For 25 dollars you have the ability to add six 8 outlet powerstrips controlled via arduino, plus cost of relay board and powerstrip which is still a lot cheaper then buying an energy bar 8.

Muxshield for in out expansion $25

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9832?

Can you make edits to the code via HTML app?

You can make whatever changes you program to be changed. If you want to set the time and temp control for say a light then you can do that. If you want to add an outlet you can do it. It all depends on what you program. You just need to code up the functionality you want to have.

You write the code to be generic then give yourself a set of functions to make modifications to the code via interwebz.

A real time clock is not the same? I understand that but you can just use a back up battery to power the clock if power fails. Also you can write in the code to use the interwebz to maintain time, upon power up the arduino logs into whatever sight that has the time and update arduinos clock...an external clock isn't hard either.

Plugging up favorite item to variable voltage source?

Variable voltage is variable voltage, it doesnt matter where it comes from. You have to know what you are doing to use an APEX as well. Is it wise to hook up $450 ecotech without knowledge of what you are doing? No, do a little research first.

It isn't easy to build a DIY controller with an arduino, but it isnt hard either. It is not for everybody and will take some time...maybe a week or so to get the basic functionality down and operating. A lot of the time comes into solving problems that have been brought up in this thread which I have presented several solution shields in my previous posts and this one. Takes a lot of the legwork out knowing what shields to get to solve the right problem. The sample code can be manipulated slightly to achieve almost all functionality to mimic an apex.

Last edited:

vbsaltydog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many can you add?

The arduino has 13 PWM outputs. However there are a lot of ways around this, linking multiple arduinos or the muxshield which is stackable and adds 48 I/O. You can also get an arduino mega what comes stock with 58 I/O. Below is a link to the muxshield. For 25 dollars you have the ability to add six 8 outlet powerstrips controlled via arduino, plus cost of relay board and powerstrip which is still a lot cheaper then buying an energy bar 8.

Muxshield for in out expansion $25

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9832?

Fair enough.

Can you make edits to the code via HTML app?

You can make whatever changes you program to be changed. If you want to set the time and temp control for say a light then you can do that. If you want to add an outlet you can do it. It all depends on what you program. You just need to code up the functionality you want to have.

You write the code to be generic then give yourself a set of functions to make modifications to the code via interwebz.

Sounds like you are saying you cant change the business logic via the web app but you can change system variables via the web app so code your firmware to use system variables.

Fair enough.

A real time clock is not the same? I understand that but you can just use a back up battery to power the clock if power fails. Also you can write in the code to use the interwebz to maintain time, upon power up the arduino logs into whatever sight that has the time and update arduinos clock...an external clock isn't hard either.

This assumes internet access. Also, The business logic starts running when the firmware is initialized so it will be using the hardware clock from when it was powered off until it can update the clock from the remote source. Not a huge issue but an issue all the same.

Plugging up favorite item to variable voltage source?

Variable voltage is variable voltage, it doesnt matter where it comes from. You have to know what you are doing to use an APEX as well. Is it wise to hook up $450 ecotech without knowledge of what you are doing? No, do a little research first.

Its not the source that I was referring to but rather the amperage. All variable voltage is not created equal. All 0-10vDC devices run on ambiguous 0-10vDC but they are easily burned up by too much current so attaching a low voltage/high current signal will surely smoke your favorite device despite the fact that the signal was sub 10vDC. It is misleading to say that if it is under 10vDC that it is safe to use on 0-10vDC devices.

It isn't easy to build a DIY controller with an arduino, but it isnt hard either. It is not for everybody and will take some time...maybe a week or so to get the basic functionality down and operating. A lot of the time comes into solving problems that have been brought up in this thread which I have presented several solution shields in my previous posts and this one. Takes a lot of the legwork out knowing what shields to get to solve the right problem. The sample code can be manipulated slightly to achieve almost all functionality to mimic an apex.

Please, lets not use the apex as a shining example of a reef controller. While it is one of the better units currently on the market, that does not make it a high quality controller. It is the lesser of two evils between itself and the reefkeeper but it leaves much to be desired.

Back