OP
OP
dorky

dorky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I came to conclusion tht it impossible to make the arduino working with my MacBook Air even I installed virtual box with Ubuntu and Linux Mint. The problem with the Mac is tht it will not recognize the arduino plug into the USB. There no latest update for the ftdiusb for the os I'm using. Problem with Ubuntu is the software issue. So I've decide to take two different approaches. One is find a Pc and installed the files into the SD memory card n put it in the shield. Only problem I have is tht I'm not alway around pc if I wanted to make some changes or update the files. Two is get raspberry pi with Linux boot up SD card. From my understanding is the raspberry pi is just processing while the arduino is the controller. If I go this route I can be able to have access via Internet and be able to make or modify changes thru raspberry pi. I thought of something awesome to house all the shields, power supply, raspberry pi, arduino and the relay channel. All of tht will be inside the CPU case best part is the it will be keep cool and have the LCD outside the case

vbsaltydog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had no problems talking to the arduino over usb from my macbook in the past. I think I was running snow leopard when I last connected to an arduino.

OP
OP
dorky

dorky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope been taking break I cherish my sleep n times lol but looking into raspberry pi n other things

firefightered

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I get on my LED display. I want the differant fields to display and the 5 buttons to work. Can anyone help? The sketch I used is on the next page

LCD.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
dorky

dorky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

vbsaltydog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This claims to be a better alternative to commercial reef controllers (and free) but they are leaving the advanced features (remote access, remote notifications, graphing, etc) as part of the paid subscription service. This is the old bait and switch technique.

Also, the difference between this product and commercial products is, or should be, ease of use. "Project" based products require your time, skills, and almost always a learning curve while commercial products are meant to be plug-n-play for the masses so they are not really comparable with any quality commercial controllers that work out of the box.

They are providing a product largely developed by the open source community that they assemble (or you assemble) and if you get that far, you are now personally invested and end up buying the paid subscription service to get the "advanced" features that come with commercial products.

I am not saying its a bad project, It might be great for the DIY enthusiast but their claim to be free is false and the verbiage of being better than commercial products is highly subjective, at best.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dorky

dorky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well to be honest i really dont care about the remote access or notification i mean im just using it to control the led lol well maybe notification when things get too hot but im not worry bout the heat issue at all. but if they do charge for advanced feature stuff they should get paid since they put too much time and effort into making it work. beside we all know that not everything is free there alway a hidden cost for everything which is im not surprise at all

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ordered a few of the components to try to build one of these too....I'm not doing this to save money,if that was the case,I'd never started reefing LOL

I see this as another challenge and could potentially be a useful tool....for those who think that DIY means it will ultimately look like junk,check out this dudes aquarium hood...

[video=youtube;gN4XQHNijxw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN4XQHNijxw&playnext=1&list=PL2289C81C829A FE8E[/video]

I hope to have a controller similar to the one in this video,I mainly just want the LED dimming function but I'll add stuff on as I feel bored LOL

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have code that does work. It will turn lights on-off, controls heater, 2 pumps. I also have another code that will fade 2 light channels and control 2 pumps. Pm me if interested in them.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back