d2mini's "Essential Focus" Mixed Reef Build

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by d2mini, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Janci

Janci Staghorns will prevail R2R Supporter Reef Tank 365 Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

Good luck Dennis and thanks for sharing your tank and endeavor with us during all these years.
    The planted tanks nowadays are rocking.
    I hope to see yours pop up in a forum soon as well.

najer and d2mini like this.

2. Victoria M

Victoria M Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

They are beautiful but I hate seeing equipment in a tank. I want it all hidden. I wish I had done closed loops in my tank. Or that the back was black and all the power heads were on the back. Although I just glanced at it and I love the blue too! :)

Janci and d2mini like this.
  3. Victoria M

Victoria M Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

I actually thought about turning my tank into a freshwater planted aquarium prior to my rebuild.

d2mini likes this.
  4. d2mini

d2mini Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Dude... whatever you got from me over the years, you just repaid it 10x over! :eek:
    I had looked at Waterbox and didn't see these! Either announced recently or I just missed it.
    I'm contacting them for sure. They're pre-order but I can wait a little bit.

Thanks!!! :cool:

SkiCatTX, najer, Janci and 1 other person like this.
  5. shred5

shred5 Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Sorry to see you go I have followed allot of your aquariums over the years even if I do not post much in them. I certainly understand and have thought about going freshwater myself.
    A new challenge for me too.. I did fresh water before but wanted to do one of those half water half above water paludarium.

I think the hobby is in for a rude awaking over the next few years too. The closure in Indo on coral and Hawaii fish is just the tip of the iceberg and we are just starting to see the affects of that now.
    Talks of Caribbean limiting or cutting out fish altogether. Indo fish stopping fish and Australia putting tighter limits or stopping coral all together.
    We are not even close to being where we need on breeding of fish. All of this has me worried about the hobbies future. I have been doing Reefs for over 30 years and much longer saltwater and never seen things like this.

Where ever you go let me know, maybe I will join you there soon in the freshwater realm.

d2mini likes this.
  6. lactose

lactose Active Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

They we're literally announced just a few days / a week ago. I plan on adding a planted tank and these are top of my list now.

d2mini likes this.
  7. d2mini

d2mini Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Yeah there has definitely been a worrying shift lately.
    I don't want to be a part of hurting the environment, that's for sure. But it's also very sad for the hobby. I hope recent efforts can move things in a positive direction.

And keep an eye on this thread... I'll post info/location of the next build. :)

najer, Janci and shred5 like this.
  8. VJV

VJV Valuable Member

Very VERY happy to be of assistance. Yes, it was a recent release.

9. Hreef

Hreef Member

Everything you do is stealth my friendyour hobby your home everything. Yeah, taking a break from the hobby, I’m with ya. Sometimes a change and sometimes this hobby makes it for us Lol.
    We will keep in touch and can’t wait for the fresh water plant build and pics. Your gonna laugh but I’ve thought about going back to a Discus Planted system like I had way before the reefing days Lol

10. DanConnor

DanConnor Well-Known Member

Heh- I just noticed you on a FW forum. I'm setting up a planted tank also. But for me, life isn't complete unless I have a reef, big vivarium, and a planted tank. :)

Waterbox is nice, and Planet has a crystaline freshwater series that looks comparable. Where they say black silicone in the writeup is incorrect- its clear.

d2mini likes this.
  11. d2mini

Ah, one of those good friends I was talking about! ;Joyful
    I love discus... really pretty fish.

12. reefwiser

reefwiser LMAS R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Article Contributor

I am interested in your Planted tank future Dennis as we have talked awhile about Planted Aquariums. I keep both types of tanks and love my Planted tanks as it gives me a whole different look at the Aquarium Hobby itself.
    I have promoted the Planted tank as a way to THINK Different about the aquariums we keep as you can learn and enjoy plants at a less pressured pace than a coral tank. Plants are very forgiving compared to Corals.:)
    I do wish the Planted tank was more advanced in some ways but there is room to grow. I do wish we had a Planted tank forum here on R2R as I think alot of Reef hobbyist would enjoy adding a Planted tank to their home and might make the Wife happy in doing so. My wife became interested in the Planted tanks while I watched YouTube videos and wanted me to set one up and we have loved the journey of learning doing so.

d2mini and Clayton Jessup like this.
  13. Clayton Jessup

Clayton Jessup Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Wow @d2mini !! The kitchen is absolutely beautiful like all your past homes! I must say I am a huge fan of the planted tank Nature Aquariums and have been for years. I had a little ADA 75p that was drilled and had a sump that was very high tech . I actually thinking about going back to planted tanks due to the fact that I think that’s where my heart is , with planted tanks.

I do look forward to your next adventure and if you do start a R2R thread I will follow hands down. I am excited for you to come to the other side of the aquarium hobby d2mini ! Welcome to the greener side .

Here is a link to my planted build that was my first and believe me it got me hooked to the planted tanks .

14. d2mini

Very nice!!
    I see you went the full sump and fuge route. :)

Clayton Jessup likes this.
  15. Clayton Jessup

Yes I did. Later down the line the Fuge ended up crashing and not really showing a lot of good growth . So I ended up taking that sump out and reinstalled my wet dry sump. I have to say I had amazing results with the wet/dry , sump route. So I think you should still consider a sump route for the Nature Aquarium aspect. So just some food for thought. Even though I am still considering a canister for my next planned tank.

16. d2mini

I've been looking at the Oase BioMaster. Probably modifying the filter materials.

17. fftfk

fftfk Member

ADG Rock’s! I am in the process of setting up a planted tank and have spoken to them numerous times. Great guys and an amazing store.

d2mini likes this.
  18. xaflatoonx

xaflatoonx Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Can’t say I am shocked to hear Dennis. You always go for a challenge. Whether it’s difffuclt corals, fish or even the hobby in general.

Hope you get back Ofcourse. But thank you for sharing what you know with the generosity that you have. I can only hope to do half as good as you have.

Looking forward to your planted tanks.

And your house looks absolutely stunning. Brilliant work.

d2mini likes this.
  19. Clayton Jessup

A lot of people in the UK use Oase Biomaster. I have never used them but have heard good reviews on them. I still a die hard fan of Eheim . The professional 3 series is a heated canister as well. I am a huge fan of the Classic Series Eheim’s. I have had a couple in the past and loved them.

d2mini likes this.
  20. reefwiser

reefwiser LMAS R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Article Contributor

Clayton what light is that it looks like a Giesemann Aquaristic 70 watt MH? You drilled the ADA for the overflow.:) Would like to get an overflow in white to go with ADA frosted film background. The 60p with the ADA Led background. Shinobi's 60p
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted