d2mini's "Essential Focus" Mixed Reef Build

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have taken the freshwater way of thinking into the reef hobby - now you have to take the saltwater way of thinking into the freshwater :) That´s a challenge. Do not forgett the use of good light and flow. And do not forget the CUC :)

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have taken the freshwater way of thinking into the reef hobby - now you have to take the saltwater way of thinking into the freshwater :) That´s a challenge. Do not forgett the use of good light and flow. And do not forget the CUC :)

Sincerely Lasse
LOL, yup!
But some reef thinking has already thrown me for a loop. Some will work, some maybe not so much. :D

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have already said this, but will you create a new thread on this site for the freshwater build?

Or will you take it off site? Either way, if you have started that thread already, link me please!

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have already said this, but will you create a new thread on this site for the freshwater build?

Or will you take it off site? Either way, if you have started that thread already, link me please!
I haven't started a build for the new tank yet. I may put it here, as well as on plantedtank.
But in the meantime, you can keep up with my Betta tank on my blog. :)
www.waterandlens.com
A day or two ago I put a quick vid up on my instagram. ;Snaphappy
https://www.instagram.com/waterandlens/

Johnseye

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!
During the remodel I've had time to do something thinking about what I want to do when it's time to move the tank back into the main part of the house.
What I finally decided is not what I expected when we started.
The short of it is.... I'm taking down the tank. ;Jawdrop

EXPLANATION: I've been in the reef side of the hobby for more than a decade now. It's been amazing. I've never immersed myself into a hobby that deeply and for that long ever before. I've met some awesome people both online and in person, many becoming good friends. There's been up and downs, but I don't really remember the downs. Many of you have followed me through several builds, several home moves, have even seen us bring two awesome kids into the world, and sometimes the hobby. haha. I've learned so much from all of you, and I'm thrilled to have given back over the years and love it when someone tells me they've gained a thing or two from reading my build threads. I've even had the opportunity to work with and be sponsored by several of the big names in the hobby. It's truly been a blast. So it's for all these reasons that I don't really want to leave the hobby. The problem is... this past year or so has started feeling old hat. I can do this. Trimming colonies of SPS is almost becoming a chore. I'm just going through the motions. I realized what I need is a new challenge!

So I'm going to get out of reefing (for now) while I'm ahead and jump into a different part of the hobby. This may actually seem backwards to many of you, but I'm going to give freshwater planted a try. Nature Aquariums... Amano style.
This will be new for me, lots to learn. In typical d2mini fashion I'll be jumping in with both feet. High tech and all that. I've already been doing some research and I think I've decided on a tank/stand. We have a pretty incredible store here in Houston called Aquarium Design Group (ADG).

There's just ONE problem... @revhtree doesn't run a planted aquarium forum!! :(:(:( The planted forums are all so ;Bored in comparison.
So I'll still be hanging around! And I'm not saying I won't be back with another reef build at some point. I just need something different for awhile.

THANKS ALL!!!
Let the stoning begin. :D

And here's a repost of the last vid I made of the tank...

Breaks can help out with that feeling of drudgery. I've had my tank on autopilot for the past year or so, only doing what was necessary. Slowly adding new fish. I shifted hobbies all together into another expensive hobby, audio. I wish I could have combined the two but my main listening area is also a home theater. Movies and metal halide lights don't go well together. I've been maintaining aquariums for about 40 years with the first 30 or so freshwater. You'll have fun. Planted tanks are great, but as you'll find out there's a lot of trimming involved with them as well. As always, looking forward to reading about aquarium endeavors.

Indiana Reefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going down the same path Dennis. I am very excited to move onto a high tech planted aquarium. Have you watched any YouTube videos on Green Aqua or George Farmer? I have doing a ton of research and I am going to take it slow on purpose.
The main reason I am getting away from reefing for a while is that I think that a planted aquarium is much more natural looking in a home. I am putting my tank in a high traffic area and I feel that a reef would be neat but look out of place.

What type of setup are you looking at setting up? I am leaning towards a water box clear series. They look nice

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going down the same path Dennis. I am very excited to move onto a high tech planted aquarium. Have you watched any YouTube videos on Green Aqua or George Farmer? I have doing a ton of research and I am going to take it slow on purpose.
The main reason I am getting away from reefing for a while is that I think that a planted aquarium is much more natural looking in a home. I am putting my tank in a high traffic area and I feel that a reef would be neat but look out of place.

What type of setup are you looking at setting up? I am leaning towards a water box clear series. They look nice
Yes, Green Aqua does some amazing scapes and great setup vids.
George is fun. He spent some time here in Houston recently at Aquarium Design Group. There's a few vids on that. :)

Status update for me... WAITING ON WATERBOX!!! It's taking a while for the next batch of ClearPro tanks to come in. Seems to keep getting delayed. If they come in end of this month like they are supposed to, by the time I get it, it will be like 4 months since I ordered.
That's ok though. Been busy with other things and I'm still waiting on the new GHL freshwater lights to land stateside as well. :)

Indiana Reefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Green Aqua does some amazing scapes and great setup vids.
George is fun. He spent some time here in Houston recently at Aquarium Design Group. There's a few vids on that. :)

Status update for me... WAITING ON WATERBOX!!! It's taking a while for the next batch of ClearPro tanks to come in. Seems to keep getting delayed. If they come in end of this month like they are supposed to, by the time I get it, it will be like 4 months since I ordered.
That's ok though. Been busy with other things and I'm still waiting on the new GHL freshwater lights to land stateside as well. :)

Nice!! Well you will help me answer my question on Waterbox. I guess I will wait and see how you like yours when it comes in.

What size did you go with? I am going with the smaller Clear 2418. I am going with high end equipment so I am looking to spend around $2000. Going bigger would be nice, but I really don’t want to at the moment.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!! Well you will help me answer my question on Waterbox. I guess I will wait and see how you like yours when it comes in.

What size did you go with? I am going with the smaller Clear 2418. I am going with high end equipment so I am looking to spend around $2000. Going bigger would be nice, but I really don’t want to at the moment.
Clear Pro 6025
143g :)

Indiana Reefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clear Pro 6025
143g :)

o_O

Well mine is 30 gallons so yeah...

Awesome man. This tank is going to be epic. How long before you get back into saltwater again? I’m going to bet you will be back in the reef tank business in 2 more years

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
o_O

Well mine is 30 gallons so yeah...

Awesome man. This tank is going to be epic. How long before you get back into saltwater again? I’m going to bet you will be back in the reef tank business in 2 more years

Hahaha... why does everyone keep asking me that? [emoji1]

Indiana Reefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha... why does everyone keep asking me that? [emoji1]

Because you are good at it...
I have never came close to perfecting a reef tank like you have. Don’t get me wrong, you will love freshwater planted, but you will get the itch again.

I just think that freshwater planted looks more natural in a home. A reef is amazing, but it clashes with home decor. I am like you, I am ready to become a newbie again.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got word that the new shipment of Clear Pro Waterbox tanks *should* be at their warehouse within the week. And *should* start shipping out to customers shortly after. So I *may* finally have my tank early August. :)

So the big question is.... *should* I start a freshwater planted build thread here on R2R??? :eek::oops:;Wideyed

I wonder if there is anything about doing so in the Mod rule book... that I never read. ;Bookworm ;Smuggrin

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back