d2mini's "Essential Focus" Mixed Reef Build

icedgxe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say do it!! I have a small planted tank as well and would love to have a larger one at some point.

FFDA63DF-BEA0-4076-88C9-F72DA2697655.jpeg 34F82830-8D7A-4CFE-873C-32149EEC3D92.jpeg

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious how long it will take you to get used to the growth rate of stem plants in a high tech tank. I found it to be way too much work. I am much happier with a low tech tank.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious how long it will take you to get used to the growth rate of stem plants in a high tech tank. I found it to be way too much work. I am much happier with a low tech tank.
Yeah, I'm still trying to figure that out.
First, I'm wondering if I can find slower growing plants that will work well. And I'm thinking I don't want to go too plant heavy. I want to be able to see my hardscape, too. Rock and wood.
Second, I'm wondering if I can use more broadleaf plants vs fine stuff like mosses. Trimming mosses underwater is a pain with all that fine trimmings floating around everywhere.
Third, my dream would be to have Discus, which from what I've read prefer warmer temperatures, which from what I've read limits my plant selection.
Soooo... not sure how this is gonna go. lol

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dennis I would go and talk to Mike at ADG for guidance for sure. [emoji3] I am sure he will lead you down the right path. [emoji106]

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know what tank you want to go with ( i did not have a chance to read everything or if this was chosen).. I am also playing with the idea of going freshwater for my next build.

I would like to see if there is anything I can do to make this build top notch.. ( on the house of course ) :p

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dennis I would go and talk to Mike at ADG for guidance for sure. [emoji3] I am sure he will lead you down the right path. [emoji106]
That's the plan! Mike's the man. :D

Let me know what tank you want to go with ( i did not have a chance to read everything or if this was chosen).. I am also playing with the idea of going freshwater for my next build.

I would like to see if there is anything I can do to make this build top notch.. ( on the house of course ) :p
ohhhhh.... the Elder Touch??? That would be amazeballs. ;Nailbiting :cool:
Remember we were talking about a canopy for the reef lighting? Then things happened. lol

I've got a Waterbox Clear Pro 6025 (143g) with white stand on order. Should be shipping out in a week or two.
And lighting is going to be the fw version of the new 4-puck GHL Mitras. :)
Was also going to incorporate my Profilux 4 and Doser 2.1 since I have them.
No sump on this build... that tank isn't drilled. The plan is to use the scape to hide a majority of equipment in one corner.
Looking at using at least one Fluval FX6 for filtration.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
waterbox is a nice system and will serve your needs well. Their sumps are being praised as of late

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to catch up on all of your developments, including your other thread on a planted tank. I saw the posts on the reef move, but not sure I followed the long term plan - is the reef still up and running?

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to catch up on all of your developments, including your other thread on a planted tank. I saw the posts on the reef move, but not sure I followed the long term plan - is the reef still up and running?
No sir. Replaced by the planted. I'm sure there will be another reef or something SW related in the future. But I'm going green for now. :)

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sir. Replaced by the planted. I'm sure there will be another reef or something SW related in the future. But I'm going green for now. :)
Aha, you moved it, THEN took it down. Ouch! That is an impressive remodel you did; when I first saw the latest pictures I thought you had just moved again! I'm still trying to build casework for my tank that is from what must be three build threads ago now (that nice sloped canopy), I can't keep up!

Best of luck with the planted tank - you were foreshadowing that a little with your foray into mangroves.

reef / aholic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dennis, you thought a reef tank was challenging, welcome to world of FW Planted Tanks but the guys at ADG like Mike, Jeff and Louis are always willing to help out.

Just looked through your water + lens site and wanting suggestion on CO2 reg, the ones I use are from GLA and 10lbs bottle depends on how many bubbles per sec and types of plants (low-tech or high-tech) you are wanting to keep. Also go with an inline Qanvee CO2 Atomizer, believe me with an OASE BioMaster 600 and 60" tank you will want this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dennis, you thought a reef tank was challenging, welcome to world of FW Planted Tanks but the guys at ADG like Mike, Jeff and Louis are always willing to help out.

Just looked through your water + lens site and wanting suggestion on CO2 reg, the ones I use are from GLA and 10lbs bottle depends on how many bubbles per sec and types of plants (low-tech or high-tech) you are wanting to keep. Also go with an inline Qanvee CO2 Atomizer, believe me with an OASE BioMaster 600 and 60" tank you will want this.
Yep, GLA has some new SS regs coming out in a week or so.
For the Co2 i got a griggs style reactor.

a4edwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you should definitely take advantage of it. It's like getting a free powerhead. :)
The water is cloudy in this pic but you can kind of see how I just ran some schedule 80 straight pipe to around the middle of the tank and then a 90 degree elbow pointed towards the front glass.
i-w85BtHf.jpg

And here you can see it through the rock arch...
i-2GHdpr6.jpg

The Audi is a modified A4 Prestige Quattro in Glacier White.
The only current pic i have...
i-KNmcCSs.jpg
Ag wheels!? Nice

Back